rear-ended!!! what do?

dolphinstriker

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
I just got rear ended today:mad:. Any tips or hints on what to look out for damagewise or insurancewise? Also some front end damage from hitting the car in front of me...also requesting hits and tips on that...

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
total bummer. Glad everybody is ok (sounds like it).

If you're not at fault, you have the option to decide where you go (you may have that option, anyway, but I don't remember). Were you injured, at all? If not, then go ahead and do the interview with the insurance company (they record a phone interview). If you were injured, you may want to lawyer up, as the insurance company of the driver at fault will try and screw you. In this case, don't do the recorded phone interview.

As far as the car goes, find a good shop (post in the regional forums and somebody will know of one). request genuine VW parts / non-aftermarket, correct paint job, etc.

good luck..

matt

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Do Not ever talk to the insurance company unless it is your own. The other party's insurance will try to get you to make a statement to get out of having to pay you for your vehicle or medical bills. People make a living saving the insurance companies money this way. Make sure you see a doctor for a checkup even if you arent hurting, because things may come up later.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Do Not ever talk to the insurance company unless it is your own. The other party's insurance will try to get you to make a statement to get out of having to pay you for your vehicle or medical bills. People make a living saving the insurance companies money this way. Make sure you see a doctor for a checkup even if you arent hurting, because things may come up later.
good advice. better than mine.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
Read up on your state's insurance regulations. In Washington, the insurance industry takes advantage of your lack of knowledge of the regulations the insurance industry has to comply with. For example, in Washington, the insurer must pay you for a rental car, whether you rent one or not. Also, most states now recognize the loss of value to a car that has been in an accident since it cannot be made completely like it was before. Don't let the adjuster bully you. Basically, don't believe anything they say about coverage. If in any doubt, consult a law firm that specializes in accident coverage. They will often give you a free consult and almost always advise over the phone. They may not end up representing you, but they know you will mention them to the next guy.

Good luck with this, you are highly unlikely to end up satisfied. I would start out by demanding a brand new car, plus rental and other damages. Work down from there. I held a very hard line with the adjuster when my boat got rear ended by a semi and it paid off.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I hate the fact that America has gotten to the point that 'lawyer up and see a doctor even though you are fine' are the first things that cross peoples minds when there is a minor accident. I'm sure its great advice, but it sucks it has gotten to this point.

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Well to be fair, if you find out a week later that you have a hairline fracture in your neck and are unable to go to work, you might have trouble proving it's from the accident if you didn't go see a doctor ASAP.

Moreover no one is going to reimburse you for injury out of good will. You need a lawyer to file an injury claim against the individual's insurance company, although I don't think it's necessary 'even though you are fine.'

I don't really see it at as a symptom of an overly litigious nation. Anywhere you go in the world, people aren't just going to take your word on it weeks after the injury. It's all done for the same reason you have to get estimates before they will reimburse you for damage to your vehicle.

Now if people were suggesting he get out the neck brace and fake a limp, then yes... I would say it's a sad state of affairs when the justice system is so routinely abused.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
yes, i'm not advocating faking it. Just cover your bases so you reduce the chance of getting screwed. It would be great if we could all trust each other - insurance companies included - to be honest, but that isn't the world we live in. I agree that it is lamentable..

matt

silverstar03

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
My 03 Golf was rear ended and also sustained minor front damage like you described. Though I was not at fault I made claim process thru my insurance, and they deemed it totaled due to frame bend damage (hatch was crushed in b/c hit by suv above my bumper).

My advice is haggle over settlement price if they total it. I got mine raised about a grand after I gave ins co printouts of all the used car listings in my area showing the real value of these cars, not the KBB. I have been told that lawyers help if they really lowball you, but I didn't go that route.

GOOD LUCK!

dolphinstriker

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Wow too late. The other insurance company called. but im pretty sure I made sure not to say anything incriminating

dolphinstriker

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
So you guys think I should visit a doctor? I did have some headaches and my neck and shoulders hurt from whiplash...

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
So you guys think I should visit a doctor? I did have some headaches and my neck and shoulders hurt from whiplash...
I think you just want it documented. Even if you go no further.

I had something a *long* time ago where the insurance company of a driver that rear-ended me was trying to not pay the correct amount to fix my car. They were being so stubborn, I ended up having to say, "you know, my doctor thinks that I may need some rehab for my neck."

I had no intention really of pursuing that. however, they immediately paid the amount I wanted to repair the car.

Think of it as leverage. I know, it's horrible that we have to play it this way, but it is what it is.

dolphinstriker

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
I've just made an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow haha. I've also got pictures of the damage done! Anybody want to see?

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
If your rear-end is badly crimpled (specially the spare wheel well), my advice is to get rid of the car. In situation like this, the body shop may either pull it back but the edges (length wise) may show creases. Or may weld a new spare wheel pan which will then show a weld line just under the back seat. But what usually happens, because of these uniframe design, the whole shape get distorted to some extend may be few mm. The body shop will do what is known as frame straightning to bring back in shape. Regardless, you car will not be same as the one before rearended. The other effect driving the same car will be that you will worry on slow downs or a stop that the car behind you will fail to stop and rearend yours. This is mental and will go after some time.

dolphinstriker

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
yes, post 'em
I actually cant figure out how to do that...

If your rear-end is badly crimpled (specially the spare wheel well), my advice is to get rid of the car. In situation like this, the body shop may either pull it back but the edges (length wise) may show creases. Or may weld a new spare wheel pan which will then show a weld line just under the back seat. But what usually happens, because of these uniframe design, the whole shape get distorted to some extend may be few mm. The body shop will do what is known as frame straightning to bring back in shape. Regardless, you car will not be same as the one before rearended. The other effect driving the same car will be that you will worry on slow downs or a stop that the car behind you will fail to stop and rearend yours. This is mental and will go after some time.
Ive been doing that a lot already....I watch the people behind me in my rearview more than i do the road in front of me hahaha

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I got a bigger bunt than that from a Jeep that could not stop on an icy road (hey, it's 4wd -- what was the problem? :rolleyes:). Anyway, make sure the body shop checks underneath where the bumper meets the body -- and pull everything out of the hatch area, including the spare, and make sure there's nothing misaligned or cracked or dented there. Look at things like the free space around the spare and if the carpeted deck looks level (though it may not have been before). My car was repaired fine; yours can be, too, unless there's some surprisingly major unibody damage.