Picture Post How-To for Newbies

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
I've had a couple requests for this lately and I couldn't find a good description anywhere so I thought at the least, I could bump one to the top.

Essentially, all you have to do is upload the image to the TDIClub's server then paste a link to it into your message. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click on photos in the task bar near the top of the forum threads. You'll need to log in using the same user name and password you would use in the forums.

2. To the right, above the search bar, click on upload photos. On this page you can go through each of the fields and label the image appropriately and/or place it in an appropriate album. You can create your own album if you have multiple images for the same topic.

3. The third field will allow you to browse (#1) to the image on your computer.

*NOTE* The allowable files on this server are jpg, jpeg, png, gif, mpeg, mpg, avi, asf, wmv, mov, pdf, doc,and xls. You aren't required to post images at a specific size but it's polite to others to keep them reasonable. The images I've posted here are 640 x 512 and around 50K +/- . Those are sizes that most people will be happy with. Once you get bigger than 800x600 the viewer will have to pan (slider bars) to see the whole image on a lot computers and a large file size means slow to load for dial-up users. Just use common sense. Obviously, if you're trying to show detail in a photo then it'll have to be larger but make a note in the title to warn others.

Once you've located the image on your hard drive and selected it, click Upload/Submit (#2).

4. The next page will allow you to add keywords so others can search and find your image if it's something they need as well. You don't have to put anything in here but it does help others out. Once you're happy with what you've put in these fields, hit Process.

5. You'll now be brought to the album where you uploaded the image to. If you click on your image now, it'll be brought up in full size and a link below it will allow you to copy it to your clipboard. It'll be in the [img ]http://yadda.yadda.yourimage here.whatever[/img ] format. Just paste that whole thing into your message and it'll post the image there. You don't need to click the image button in your post, it just puts the codes around what you type and those codes are already copied from before.

[IMG]http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3989/medium/GCS0004.jpg

You've now posted your first pic!

Have fun! :cool:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Thank you Fryman. This should speed up the learning curve for the newbies.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Excellent post Fryman. I hope this becomes a sticky. I'm not a newbie, but I post pictures rarely enough so I have to go back and look on how to post pics. I have a message saved that tells me step by step. (I think it's from Whitedog)

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Joe Fisher said:
Excellent post Fryman. I hope this becomes a sticky. I'm not a newbie, but I post pictures rarely enough so I have to go back and look on how to post pics. I have a message saved that tells me step by step. (I think it's from Whitedog)
Good Ol' Whitey... always there to help, (and wreak havoc!):D

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
This thread was edited to remove rude & uneccessary commments.

If you are having trouble, ask a polite question and you will get a polite answer. Don't act like a door knob and you will get treated with respect back.

Someone took a lot of time out of their lives to put together a post to help other people and you give him attitude. Unbeleiveable.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Thanx Wingnut!

I'm not worried about getting kudos for this, it's just here give people guidance. Feel free to edit out all the extra posts and then lock down the thread.

linewarbr

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE DSG (bought back Feb 2017)
I'm having a problem with it from the other side. When I try to view a photo someone else has posted, the link brings me to a screen that says "You must be registered to view this page" even when I'm already signed in. I try registering on the page that pops up, but it won't let me, saying I am already registered! Help!!

linewarbr

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE DSG (bought back Feb 2017)
Hehhhhhhh

Ok, NEVERMIND. I figured out that you have to log in on the picture page. . . .:eek:

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
linewarbr said:
I'm having a problem with it from the other side. When I try to view a photo someone else has posted, the link brings me to a screen that says "You must be registered to view this page" even when I'm already signed in. I try registering on the page that pops up, but it won't let me, saying I am already registered! Help!!
I've seen that issue before. The pictures are on a seperate server that requires you to log in seperatly from the forums page but usually that's just to post pictures. It might want you to log in if you're trying to view pictures directly from theat server instead of through the forums. Just my thought's though, I really don't know.

Anyone else know?:confused:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pete in VA said:
Can't get beyong clicking photos. There is no Upload option on the page. Haas the page changed since instructions were issued?
Are you signed into the photo's page? Does it welcome you by user name? If not, sign in and you should have that upload option.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Fyrman said:
I've seen that issue before. The pictures are on a seperate server that requires you to log in seperatly from the forums page but usually that's just to post pictures. It might want you to log in if you're trying to view pictures directly from theat server instead of through the forums. Just my thought's though, I really don't know.

Anyone else know?:confused:
This does happen to me somtimes but not all. I find if you log in on that page then when it tells you that you are already loged in if you click back on your browser then re click the original link for the picture it works... Strange but it does work for me...

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
All, I'm having the same problem as Linewarbr. No matter what I try, it won't alow me to view pictures posted by others. It says I'm not logged in when I am, so I go back to the main page and log-out of my account. then go back to the photos page and attempt to log in. It says "invalid user name or password". I went so far as to create a new user account and log in with that... - same results. I think there must be a bug in the system!

It's not a huge deal, but quite annoying when a member points me to their profile photo page and all I can see are thumbs!

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
Thanks for the write-up - very helpful! I just posted a couple of pics...

How can I delete pics from my album?

primozek

TDI
seat ibiza 1.9 tdi 110kw
Oy. I can't look photos. It says, i must be registered, but i allready am.
Thanks for helping

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
primozek said:
Oy. I can't look photos. It says, i must be registered, but i allready am.
Thanks for helping
Log in to the page with your TDIClub Userid and password. Then go back to the page that has the photos you want to look at.

The same thing happens to me. Dunno why. I just log in and I'm good... :D

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sometimes checking the "remember me" box makes it easier the next time.

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
rdkern said:
Thank you Fryman. This should speed up the learning curve for the newbies.
Or older people who don't venture out of their cars specific forums much and are too dumb to figure it out on their own. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to learn to resize.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Diesel_Aggie said:
Or older people who don't venture out of their cars specific forums much and are too dumb to figure it out on their own. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to learn to resize.
Some of us "older" people use a free Photobucket account since it has a lot of options, including the ability to size photos properly. Maybe the "younger" people are not smart enough or familiar with other convenient ways to post photos here?:confused:

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
aja8888 said:
Some of us "older" people use a free Photobucket account since it has a lot of options, including the ability to size photos properly. Maybe the "younger" people are not smart enough or familiar with other convenient ways to post photos here?:confused:
I was referring to myself as the older, dumb one. I've been here four years and had no idea there was a 2nd login to upload pics to TDI Club. I've been using links to Webshots and been frustrated since I couldn't get my pics to show up in my posts. Finally found this thread last night and now just have to figure out how to resize the photos and hopefully I can get my pics to show up in the post.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Diesel_Aggie said:
I was referring to myself as the older, dumb one. I've been here four years and had no idea there was a 2nd login to upload pics to TDI Club. I've been using links to Webshots and been frustrated since I couldn't get my pics to show up in my posts. Finally found this thread last night and now just have to figure out how to resize the photos and hopefully I can get my pics to show up in the post.
I thought I was one of the only older dumb ones that use a third party like a Photobucket account! I have stayed away from the forum 2nd login to use the photo post service because it is tricky. The nice thing about Photobucket is the ability to choose the photo size easily and grab a link to post. Once you get adept at that, you are able to bombard any post with lots of pictures!:D

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Is it possible to post multiple pictures at once? The wording on each page eludes to the fact that you can, but I can't select more than one photo at a time when I browse for photos to upload.

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Even after I logged in on the "Photos" page, the "Upload Photos" button is still not there. It is simply missing. I can see the pictures that I posted a long time ago, but apparently the web designer doesn't want me to upload photos. The button should be right next to the "Log Out" button that I do see, so I know for a fact that I am logged in. :confused:

Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta wagon
Okay, I'm having a problem getting pictures to display in my threads - I can get the thumbnail link to display, e.g.:

but if I remove the /url tags and put in the '/img' tags, nothing happens. Any help with this?