Rear Axle Bushings

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Hey guys, I've got an '04 Jetta. I am redoing the entire suspension, so I was thinking that the rear axle bushings would be a good thing to change, as well. After doing research online, it looks like it could be a terrible job to get involved with. Now, I don't have any noticeable issues with my current bushings, but they have over 240,000 miles on them. I don't get any clunking or issues when I hit bumps or take turns. And I think my tire wear is fine. I just wanted to upgrade them, but do you think it's worth it to do it myself, assuming there aren't any issues with my current bushings? I'm not bad at car work, but my tools are limited, as is my experience.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you have the right tools it is not that bad of a job. Tough to say if yours are "bad". I think people who drive around with worn out shocks for a long time cause them more harm than anything.

I find quite often they are deformed to the point that I cannot always get the rear axle beam aligned as nice as I would like it to be.

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
If you have the right tools it is not that bad of a job. Tough to say if yours are "bad". I think people who drive around with worn out shocks for a long time cause them more harm than anything.
I find quite often they are deformed to the point that I cannot always get the rear axle beam aligned as nice as I would like it to be.
What would you consider to be the right tools, and how long would you expect a job like this to take?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I use a lift, I drop the beam out, put it on sawhorses, air chisel the old bushings out, use a cylinder hone to clean up the beam, sometimes a file to dress any bad spots, then a bushing press tool to put the new ones back in.

You can just hang the beam down and do it on jackstands (I have never had to do this, but I know people do it all the time).

I have the actual SST, but it does not work to get the old ones out, they are typically just too rusted in place. Air chisel works better. But people have used files/hand chisels/hacksaws/etc. to get the old ones out too.

And cheap aftermarket tools are available on eBay and other places that work pretty good, or people have cobbled up some home made thing.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I did mine quite a few years ago and don't remember it being too disastrous of a project except for one complication.

I dropped the beam completely and had to disconnect the brake lines to do it. And in the process of disconnecting one, I ruined one of the hard brake lines and had to wait for a replacement on that.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I've done several on the car, air chisel is a must, old bushing out in less than 10 min taking your time. A member had made a tool for installation of the rear bearings, sweet tool to. If I can find him I'm my emails I will post it.
Start to finish 2.0 hrs a side on car.....and that's taking my time....maybe 1-1.5 if rushed.
First one I did took the longest, no air chisel, go to HF and find the cheapest one as long as you have an air compressor. Makes nice work of it

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I just learned recently that mine are still holding on at 342,000 miles. Might be worth taking a good look and seeing if they're showing signs of wearing out before pulling it apart...

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I do a lot of them so here are some of my tips.
use a lift relise the brake line clips give you some more room to drop the beam.
I use a sawsawal make a few cuts from the inside to the out bushing then air chisel.
Use a die grinder to clean up the rust.
You need a good tool http://www.idparts.com/rear-axle-bushing-installation-tool-a4-p-3051.html $49
or install upgraded racing kit no install tool needed I run them on my race car and work great.