Rear axle beam

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I am really tired of the negative camber on my rear wheels. Standing behind my car it looks like the deliberate - camber put on a lowered car.

Now....the way I rotate my tires is, when the inner half of the rear tires are worn out I flip them on a HF tire stand I have and swap the fronts L-R

I,m on my third set of rear tires and the front tires have about 3/4 tread left. I,m about to take a torpedo level and go to a junk yard and roll the dice on another beam. I hate to though because this one has Cupra R's installed about 3 yrs. ago. (didn't make any difference to the camber) From reading one of OH's posts I've decided to forget about shims. This beam has never suffered trauma as far as I know.

Whenever I do any work on the rear of the car I jack it up from the center of the beam, has this contributed to this condition? I haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer. Any opinions would be welcome.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I would think that if you bent the center of the beam upward, you'd get positive camber, not negative.

Shims don't really work on the MkIV because you only change the angle of the hub (and thus rotor) but not the angle of the caliper. So shims only work for very minute adjustments.

I'd say gamble on the junkyard beam. And after this one is out, I'd see if I couldn't set up some kind of jig and try to twist the trailing arms back to straight.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are some BRAND NEW JP-Group branded rear beams out there for less than $200. While I have never gotten one, I have used their front subframes (also about $200) as well as plenty of their control arms and other suspension bits, and they were all perfectly fine. They used to supply a lot of heat exchangers for the air-cooled stuff, so the company has been around a while building and supplying welded metal parts subassemblies. Shipping may be an issue in some cases, though.

One on eBay right now for $188.