Rain ruined my 2014 Jetta Sportwagen

tommyesteban

TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen
Hi, I’ve been looking all over this forum, but can’t seem to find any help and now I’m asking if anyone has experience something similar to me. After the very long rains that we had in California, my car started acting weird. The engine starts no problem, but now all my electrics are gone. For example, my turn signals are gone, my horn is gone, doors don’t unlock, truck won’t unlock, headlights always stay on when the engine is running, to name a few. I suspect that water enter in my moonroof, which I know is a common problem with Volkswagen. It got the fuse panel that is near the A pillar wet. I changes all the fuses and even put in a new battery end, it still hasn’t resolved my problem. Is there some ground in the cabin that could be rusted? This has been bothering me for some time and any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
google CCM comfort control module , its behind the hush panel on the drivers side and it gets soaked and corrodes up, it controls most of the functions you speak of.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Also, seal the sunroof, it will leak water even when working perfectly. Open it up, get it nice and dry- you're in California so the rain surely won't last long- then seal that thing shut forever. I wrapped my roof in white vinyl. Also check your floors and spare wheel compartment for water, you may need to bail some water out of your car.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
I've owned Audis with "normal" sunroofs since the '80s and never had any problems with water in the cabin due to plugged drains. The newer panoramic sunroofs, however, seem to be another story if they are not maintained (cleaned and lubricated) regularly (or rear drains were installed poorly in production). Good luck getting this resolved. --g

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Regular sunroofs are fine if the drains are not neglected. The pano roof needs a bit more TLC, but the awful greenhouse effect in the heat and creaking and rattling in the cold would make me not want one, and that makes no difference whose it is. The Lexus RX330 had a [rare] optional one, and they were junk, too.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
White vinyl roof wrap. No more water, no more heat dome, no more sunroof, but sunroofs are wildly overrated. Oh, vinyl also solves sunroof creaking.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All the dubs I have with sunroofs (about five currently) and all the ones I've had over the years with them (more than I can remember) work perfectly fine, and I use them quite a bit. That may be part of the issue, too, is people just don't use them. But.... as I stated, the pano roof is a very different animal.