question about oil filter flanges

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
So I'm putting an ALH into my old mk1 caddy.
Its all bolted in, but I'm having an issue with coolant line routing. The stock ALH oil filter flange is really in the way. If I could install a spin on oil filter like the 1.8T and 2.0, that would really make my life easier.
Anyone know a mk4 style block (ALH or PD) that was ever made that took a spin on filter instead of the top-load cartridge filter?
-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That family of gas engines uses a spin-on filter facing down, however that would mean changing the whole adapter and the gaskets to the block are different (gas vs. diesel) I just looked, and in the ETKA pic anyways they look slightly different shaped.

I have all that stuff at home I think, if I can find it in my piles of stuff I can take a look and see if maybe somehow you could make it work.

The other issue is the oil feed pipe to the turbo is at a different spot, so you'd need to address that as well.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Yes, I've got a 1.8T flange, and know it bolts on differently. I was hoping there is a TDI out there that has the spin-on but will bolt on directly. Apparently Eurospec-Sport made an adapter for guys using ALH blocks to build stroker 1.8T motors. Not sure if its avail anymore though.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2483044-Mating-a-AEB-20V-Head-onto-an-ALH-TDi-Block/page3

The fact that they made an adaptor makes me think there isnt a direct fit flange. The oil feed is easy though. Braided lines are a cake walk.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, looks like they are different, as I just studied one we had in the shop.

I suppose you could fab up a "plate" that allowed a remote location of the filter and cooler.

Do you have any pics of the issue you are trying to resolve? Seems like moving the coolant hose to the radiator (even if it meant using a tube to go down, over, and back up and around, etc.) would be easier.

What radiator are you using? Seems to me there were some goofy A1 platform radiators that had the top hose connection on the different side, like a 16v Scirocco or something.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
One way to do it would be to cut off the vertical bit of the ALH filter housing, high enough that when a plate is welded over the cut off end the oil will still flow from the outside to the center hole. From there it goes down to the oil cooler and you could stick a spin-on filter on the bottom of that.

I don't recall exactly the flow direction and order, it might be putting the oil through the cooler the opposite direction of on the spin-on housings. It is easy to tell by looking at the pressure relief valve that bypasses the cartridge filter to tell the flow direction.

Just make sure the oil going in to the filter is on the outside, and clean oil comes out the center threaded hole. Backwards and the bypass will not work.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I don't recall exactly the flow direction and order, it might be putting the oil through the cooler the opposite direction of on the spin-on housings. It is easy to tell by looking at the pressure relief valve that bypasses the cartridge filter to tell the flow direction.
Oil comes from the block, goes down into the cooler through the outside holes, comes up the center of the cooler to the outside of the filter, then through the filter, then down the center of the filter and into the block.

You could replace the cooler with a spin-on filter, provided you can figure out a way to make sure the vertical passage from the cooler is connected to the passage in the housing that leads into the block.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oil comes from the block, goes down into the cooler through the outside holes, comes up the center of the cooler to the outside of the filter, then through the filter, then down the center of the filter and into the block.

You could replace the cooler with a spin-on filter, provided you can figure out a way to make sure the vertical passage from the cooler is connected to the passage in the housing that leads into the block.
I remembered the oil cooler's center bore going straight up and being able to see clear through it, didn't remember if they did wierd stuff with it.

So, chop the cartridge filter housing off so it's a quarter inch above the "spud" in the middle, pay a shop $40 to make a plate and weld it on, get a 1.8T oil cooler center bolt, spin on a filter of your choice.

ETA: Oh, and in the middle hole of the cartridge filter IIRC there's a passage you'd have to block (stuff a pipe-plug in). The one normally sealed by that little o-ring that comes with the filter kit.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I know INA had a remote kit complete with a new plate, all the check valves and bypasses. It was pretty spendy but it also had a lot to it.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry for the crappy photo but here is the problem.

I could run the radiator upside down, but when the outlets are on the drivers side the upper one runs right into the battery.

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Just use our ALH to 1.8T adapter plate and find a 1.8T oil filter housing @ the scrapper. The plate is only $135 USD.

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
There are 5 different oil filter flanges for the 06A ---> 06F blocks.
You can make adapter flanges for 1.9 TDI ALH , 1.8T 20V and 2.0 16V TFSI
2.0 TDI's require there own specific flange and the same goes for european 2.0 20V's.

oilhammer

TDI
oldpoopie, see if you can source an ALH New Beetle "lower" radiator hose. I am thinking the bend they make at the thermostat (engine) side would fit to your radiator and allow it to clear the engine and run parallel to the top of the fan shroud enough to get you past the oil filter housing, and towards the top water neck at the head.

The part number is 1C0-122-051-H.

Another option is to source the upper hose for a late A2 Jetta diesel w/ A/C, as that also makes a pretty tight bend at the far end of the radiator, and also has a couple of other sharp bends that may be able to be cut in such a way as to make the loop. It also has a nice built-in bleed line, that could be plumbed in to the other bleed lines that go to the water bottle.

The part number for that is 191-121-101-AK.

I really think you could find a cooling hose that would work for you, and be much less work that trying to relocate the oil filter.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Ill look into the hoses Oilhammer thanks.

Issam, could you email me info for your adaptor plate?