Project weight Loss ALH TDI Engine build (56k+ wide screen friendly)

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
mk3pd you win a cookie ;) Kerma at kermatdi also sells them for about the same costs as it would cost you to ship these puppies overseas fyi...

dieseldub764,

I would say until you are really pushing a vnt22+ you dont really need to upgrade the bottom end on your diesel. And this isnt a stroker kit its stock stroke because getting custom rods to stroke like that would be expensive and would limit higher rpms more where the bigger turbos perform better. BTW did you find out which tuning company you wanted to go with yet? you have some nice bolt on parts there that really need a tune to take advantage of any of them. Try that first and read the posts above yours of mine and you will understand why I am not "giving" out all the info. I dont want people going out and spending all the money on this stuff to find out it doesnt work in my block. Just because It "might" fit doesn't mean it is designed for what I am doing.

Ok enough on that subject. you guys want more pictures and progress right? So here is a picture of the cleaned new crank next to the old one.

For everyone else asking these same questions please note you would get the same response as the last two. So I am just going to ignore them now.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
The crank is about 12.5lbs lighter and the trigger wheel needs to be moved over. I have to check to make sure its in the same spot on the crank though.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
shortysclimbin said:
mk3pd you win a cookie ;) Kerma at kermatdi also sells them for about the same costs as it would cost you to ship these puppies overseas fyi...

dieseldub764,

I would say until you are really pushing a vnt22+ you dont really need to upgrade the bottom end on your diesel. And this isnt a stroker kit its stock stroke because getting custom rods to stroke like that would be expensive and would limit higher rpms more where the bigger turbos perform better. BTW did you find out which tuning company you wanted to go with yet? you have some nice bolt on parts there that really need a tune to take advantage of any of them. Try that first and read the posts above yours of mine and you will understand why I am not "giving" out all the info. I dont want people going out and spending all the money on this stuff to find out it doesnt work in my block. Just because It "might" fit doesn't mean it is designed for what I am doing.

Ok enough on that subject. you guys want more pictures and progress right? So here is a picture of the cleaned new crank next to the old one.

For everyone else asking these same questions please note you would get the same response as the last two. So I am just going to ignore them now.
I want one:D

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
When I drove lightweight, I used the 78 Alpine Rabbit. It was about 1800 lbs without A\C. I would then replaced the bumpers with aluminum, replace the exhaust with a lighter one, remove anything I didnt need including rear windshield washer\wiper stuff if it had it(some were retrofitted), Put in lighter seats, Scirocco steering wheel, lighter wheels, better brales(GTI), better suspension and blueprint. If I wanted to go nuts, I would remove the sound deadener and rustproofing. 1600 lbs.

After I nearly killed myself in one of my superlights, I swore never to build another. Now, if I want to go faster, I make more power.

droppedjet

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
shortysclimbin said:
Yes VT has very many rusted mk2s here but nothing that doesnt have duct tape and spray foam holding them together for inspections.

Total weight I am shooting for 2000lbs but that many be to light. If I could get it down to 2200 with better weight distribution I would be happy. Especially considering the cage, and heavier engine...
Thats pretty damn good because 2200 is not bad at all and have a about 300 whp thats about what 13 secs in the 1/4 mile

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Thats a very very nice collection of bits! :cool:

2.5 TDI Transporter pistons? OE or aftermarket?

I'm definitely watching this build. I hope you get some good results before I make a proper start on mine :D

Mikki x

Yelram

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
shortysclimbin said:
Yelram, as far as costs... Dont ask. More than most would budget for an engine build. I decided because I am single and dont have kids now is the time to play with projects like this..
I meant the generator and air compressor.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Chris have you been looking in my garage window :) ? That is exactly what is going on right now lol... But dont worry a cage is going in to add a little weight along with a slightly heavier block. I am basically trying to remove a little weight and move as much as I can central to the car to make it handle more neutral. Shine parts do help though ;)

yelram you have a pm that stuff is for sale

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
shortysclimbin said:

dieseldub764,

You should convert to solid lifters and regrind your camshaft to a more "flow friendly" profile.
I am pretty sure Elgincams can find a good cam profile for you.

I got lifters and lash caps.

M I N I O N

scammer & kfed poser
TDI
Crank looks beautiful now that it is cleaned up. I can see that it is cut, deburred, micropolished and balanced. Anything under the skin to help oil flow? Maybe enlarged channels? Tear dropped/edge-rounded journal holes?

Can't wait to find out what else you have up your sleave. I'll be watching this closely.

2002-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 tdi jetta
shortysclimbin said:

dieseldub764,

are you going to go w/lightened flywheel and balance the rotating assembly w/ pistons/rods too ?
what is that "pattern" ground in the counter weight versus just a knife edging ?

thank you

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
DieselDub764 said:
Hi,
Could you tell where can I get those ti valve spring, retainers and oversized pistons, forge rods and where can I get my crank stroked?
Take a look over at Ferrea for springs.
http://www.ferrea.com/products.php#vsprings

or

http://www.racingsprings.com/valve-springs.htm

However if you read "Myth #4" http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/general/scrp_0608_valvetrain_myths/index.html
you will see that instead of going with Titanium valves the recommendation is to do beehive springs.

If you have some more time . ( and yes I know our engines are not V8 pushrods )
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0402_valvesprings/index.html
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb50354.htm

mk3pd

TDI
rjr311 said:
Take a look over at Ferrea for springs.
http://www.ferrea.com/products.php#vsprings

or

http://www.racingsprings.com/valve-springs.htm

However if you read "Myth #4" http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/general/scrp_0608_valvetrain_myths/index.html
you will see that instead of going with Titanium valves the recommendation is to do beehive springs.

If you have some more time . ( and yes I know our engines are not V8 pushrods )
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0402_valvesprings/index.html
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb50354.htm
He need higher spring rate for preventing valves to blow open due to high boost pressure,not for controlling valve float at high rpm.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Won't it be out of balance if you shave alot of the counterweigts and use the stock mass pistons and connectiing rods?

mk3pd

TDI
Rub87 said:
Won't it be out of balance if you shave alot of the counterweigts and use the stock mass pistons and connectiing rods?
Not in a 4 cyl inline engine,no

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
Rub87 said:
All that parts pistons, rods, crankshaft has to be weight matched with tight tolerance just a crankshaft need to be dynamically balanced before it has to be fitted to engine. So do not worry with lightweight crank.....

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
mk3pd said:
Hello Marek.

Yes,i have to visit here often.
How is your Lupo doing?
Christmass time........I lanched some new projects for 2008........a new aluminium R5 tdi engine in 9sec zone and some 11sec 1.9tdi for friends.....and may be a new 4.0 V8 tdi from new audi A8.......a friend need minimum 600Hp from this engine....

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
StingrayRT said:
All that parts pistons, rods, crankshaft has to be weight matched with tight tolerance just a crankshaft need to be dynamically balanced before it has to be fitted to engine. So do not worry with lightweight crank.....
So lets say I want to run such 12.5kg eurospec crank in a PD150 bottom end with stock pistons that have been slightly machined for lower CR.. maybe the H beam rods, not sure on that one..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EFC 105 101 SC 955[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]038, 06A, 06B[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]95.5mm[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Style Long Nose and Trigger Wheel, Super Light. 12.5kg[/FONT]

Should it thezn be necessary to have the whole crap balanced or not? Whit these dollar rates it's really kind'a attrictive to get one:)

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
So lets say I want to run such 12.5kg eurospec crank in a PD150 bottom end with stock pistons that have been slightly machined for lower CR.. maybe the H beam rods, not sure on that one..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EFC 105 101 SC 955[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]038, 06A, 06B[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]95.5mm[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Style Long Nose and Trigger Wheel, Super Light. 12.5kg[/FONT]

Should it thezn be necessary to have the whole crap balanced or not? Whit these dollar rates it's really kind'a attrictive to get one:)

No you don´t need balancing those components with respective to crank weight......

mk3pd

TDI
StingrayRT said:
Christmass time........I lanched some new projects for 2008........a new aluminium R5 tdi engine in 9sec zone and some 11sec 1.9tdi for friends.....and may be a new 4.0 V8 tdi from new audi A8.......a friend need minimum 600Hp from this engine....
Looks like you will be busy for some time :D

I stick mostly to gasser engine's,i don't have enough knowledge on Diesel engines.

Do you know if the R5 Tdi use the same rods as 4cyl PD130,140,150 ???

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
mk3pd said:
Looks like you will be busy for some time :D

I stick mostly to gasser engine's,i don't have enough knowledge on Diesel engines.

Do you know if the R5 Tdi use the same rods as 4cyl PD130,140,150 ???
99% sure that is the same rods!

mk3pd

TDI
Rub87 said:

Keep in mind that PD150 has a bigger rod journal,so PD150 rods won't fit this Eurospec crank.
I got H-beam rods for small journal which is tapered for PD150 pistons.

The Eurospec crank is probably dynamically balanced itself,but you must balance together with your pulley and flywheel/clutch.

My H-beam rods are weight adjusted,but you need to weight adjust your pistons ofcourse.

I am not sure,but i think the PD150 timing belt gear won't fit the Eurospec crank,maybe you can use from PD100 ATD??

Last edited:

mk3pd

TDI
Hmmm,i am quoting myself here :)

Seems like PD100/150 use the same timing belt gear.

I THINK PD engines has a different crank nose than the other TDi engines,but again,i am not sure