Project weight Loss ALH TDI Engine build (56k+ wide screen friendly)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Use the other type of oil return, not the banjo style like you have now.. I mean the use the straight line the connects with a cone..

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
shortysclimbin said:
Found today that the angle of the turbo to oil drain may not be good enough ( ~35 degree angle) Has anyone run this tight of an angle? Worse case is I can tap the oil pan for a return easy enough.
Gasp! You mean that part was over looked in the exhaust manifold design... tisk tisk!

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Yeah something like that would work perfect. I just haven't had a lot of time to go to the local hydrolic shop and see what pipes/ fittings they have around.

And Scott, You should know better than that :). its just not going to take the oem one and may need a little tlc to work. If you look at it I really have a vnt22 where most have a vnt15!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
It's oem equipment on some 1Z, some ASV engines had it also, depens on the car they're in..

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Oil Drain will NOT work at 35 degrees.

On another note I haven't been to this place in ages, was a slow day at work the phones were down, dropped by and got to see some good progress. I really am hoping that the VNT22 or whatever it is, is just the secondary turbo and there is still a primary to come. ;) :p

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I think he meant 35 degrees from the line, not the clock position of the CHRA..

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I was meaning the line.

And to answer questions the clutch fork is just boxed in.

And a few questions:

Does anyone know what the thread type and size is of the fuel pump inlet and the top cover? I am trying to convert it to an fittings right now...

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Dont convert the return banjo or your pump will not work. It needs to have the restriction there.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
I wonder just how many TDI/diesel heads are going to trek to you just to see this TDI when it is done...;)

Going to give rides? For a charge of course...:D:cool:

Any updates?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Short little update from the last time I was home a month ago.. I ran out of parts on the engine! I was going to put the engine and tranny in the car but didn't have parts/ time before I left. That and it was Ski season!

So I put the crank and new bearings back in

Re-clearanced and balanced everything... AGAIN

Mounted the head down, timing belt, timing, and a whole lot of little parts

Needless to say This is what I came out with for now. When I get home she goes in the car in a month or so... Then wiring, plumbing and all that other fun jazz.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Bellisimo! Funny you mentioned ski season. I'm also putting off a couple projects I've had on the board for a while just because I got a few weeks of snow left LOL.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
If nothing else, that beautiful orange and black "Go Beavers!" color scheme is worth 15 hp at least. ;)

What kind of crank scraper did you end up going with? If it's buried 5 pages back I apologize for missing it.

Huzzah to skiing!

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Two weeks home thus far and quite a lot done. For now here are a few pics words later ;)

And with that Since the motor is semi in the car will conclude the engine build thread until I can post dyno plots. For more info on the swap and conversion please go to my other thread covering these details.

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Does want... If I had money I would send it to you so you could build one for me. I'm capable of building my own engine... but the details! Wow!

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Sign... Still working on it, Customers come first now so all my free time is gone. But good news! I am home back in Vermont full time after doing an MBA outside of the country. I am hoping to have news in a few weeks on this to post up.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
A mechanics car is never running, a plumbers pipes are always leaking. I understand. Do update when possible!

Last edited:

leonesea

TDI
tdi 110cv
hello you have a good drawing, I'm Italian and I can not understand, connecting rods and pistons, valves for tdi 110 or you adapted? you tell me where you bought it?

EvilBunny

TDI
85 jetta n/a DEZ(RIP) 03 Golf TDi(RIP), 02 Tdi5spd(RIP), 1984 GLi 20vBT, 85 westy golf(ALH BTswap), 06 M3(RIP), 2013 335is, 2010 690 duke(rip)
havent checked this in a couple years...SSIICCK. greta job man

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
yes, but its awaiting more changes and updates.. I have too many cars right now and may put this one up for sale. 4 project cars is way to many for a guy moving potentially out of country again!