Project 'BELWAS': the blackberry Caddy TDI

Abaddon

TDI
A Blackberry called 'Belwas'
Hi again all,

I figured I'd start a fresh thread to record this new project from the first stages until completion… completion being in 3+ years time, if not longer. But it's underway as of now and it's time to start taking pictures and documenting specs (it's late at night here at the moment; the pics will come tmrw).

Here is my *2015* Blackberry VW Caddy 1.6l TDI, all stock.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204865919387441&l=210b622d50

STAGE 1: Basics - 75% completed
* After market floor mats
* Customised canvas seat covers
* Heavy duty rubber overlay
* Mesh wall

Still to be done is the tradie's stainless steel mesh wall, which will be fitted to the interior, opposite the sliding door. I've been given some pretty ridiculous prices for factory-fitted ones, so I've asked a good friend who's a dab hand with a welder to make me one for a few hundred bucks cheaper than quoted.

STAGE 2: Aesthetics completed
* Window tint

I'm pretty chuffed with how the vehicle looks now, to be honest, and I wouldn't change a thing from the paint to the alloys… but I've had the windows professionally tinted, as dark as is legal on the front and a 'limo tint' to the rear. .

STAGE 3: Performance 50% completed
* ECU tune
* Lowering kit**

The ECU tune has been done by [url]http://eurospectune.com
- a business recommended to me by a TDI forum member. Philip has advised what my options are in terms of mods that won't void my warranty. The tune cost just under a grand (which is pretty standard, from my experience) produced 20-22kws and 42 Nm of torque. That takes the kilowatts to just under 100, and the torque to nearly 300 newton meters.

This is pretty fun for me. I never thought I'd get a diesel van to go like it does currently, let alone with a roughly 30% power enhancement! Of course, this is all that I foresee achievable right now. There is a 175 horsepower turbo + other mods option I will look at down the track.

**I wasn't sure where exactly to place this mod. I know that, at around 1300 kilograms unladen weight, the Caddy has a decent power to weight ratio which will be further improved by lowering it. But there's a limit, for me. I don't want to sacrifice too much manoeuvrability or the ability to carry a commercial load when I need to. And, due to the additional rear leaf springs, good quality lowering kits are expensive to buy and fit. So this aspect of the project may be put on the back burner for a few months.

PURPOSE
Yeah, you'd be asking why I'm doing all this. Well, I'm a nationally ranked Strongman. Strongman is my greatest passion in life, next to women and my Caddy, and I wanted a vehicle that I could use for things related to my sport.

Locally, I can now transport equipment to state comps and further assist WA Strongman. And when I compete over east I can drive across country for less than it would cost for me and my partner or a team mate to fly there and back (and without risking my health; I always get a head cold when I fly)… I can even sleep in it, so no need to pay for lodging while travelling interstate!

Also, I am something of a mods enthusiast, and this will be my second project after GET BACK. I don't want to own a track car, or something that would get a younger guy killed. But I do like the way the TDI feels and I want to make the most of my first turbo engine'd vehicle.

'Strong Belwas' is a Game of Thrones character, and an individual I identify with. I think he's a pretty accurate symbol of what I and my Caddy represent: a bit of agility with a lot of dumb strength, and resilience.

Last edited:

Abaddon

TDI
First Wax Job

So yesterday I had a wedding to attend. I also needed to wash Belwas, and give it a proper wax and polish. Shortly after I'd washed off the detergent and was applying the wax, a bunch of *******s over the fence from me decided this Saturday would also be a good time to mow their back yards all at the same time. Applying the wax to each panel became a fairly tedious business as I had to continually wipe down each panel festooned with debris from their efforts.
I was nicely sunburned in the process, but overall (even with the hot summer sun making it virtually impossible to remove all traces of heavy water stains), I still think it was a reasonable effort for my first attempt. I never bothered waxing my last project, as I took GET BACK off road and got it good and filthy on too regular a basis for it to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Abaddon

TDI
I always wax the car in the shade, preferably indoors when at all possible. I can ovoid a few of those frustrations that way...
You can find info on how to post pictures in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207484
Hey, thanks for the info! Yes, I am aware that these were far from optimum conditions to in which to perform the wash and wax… But I can't really get around my vehicle in order to perform this effectively while in the car port, and I had a wedding to go to in two hours. I made the best of the situation. These pictures were actually taken the following day (today), after I'd given it another wipe down to remove yet more krud.

Abaddon

TDI
The First Tune & Misc Update

I took Belwas to Eurospec today, and had a good chat with the owner/operator, Philip, who's been working with VW and Audi for over a decade and takes a special interest in their modification. He read my VIN and advised that I'm actually driving a 2015 model (I had Belwas on order at the dealership for nearly 5 months, and evidently next year's model was released in during that time and, lucky me, I got one), which did mean the ECU tune was not as simple first thought; the tune cannot be written directly from the computer, and must be 'bench tuned' - which may take as long as 90 minutes, instead of the 25 initially quoted. So I'll be going back saturday morning to get the written program uploaded.

I've also confirmed a time in late December for the window tint, and I will be seeing my mate this Sunday so he can get the dimensions for the mesh wall, and get that underway.

Abaddon

TDI
Hold-ups and Hang-ups

There's been a couple of set-backs with the project, which was supposed to be worked on this weekend. The tune could not be completed as my vehicle - a 2015 model - has a Siemens CPU, whereas previous Caddys have used Bosch. It boiled down to my mechanic not having the correct $800 cable to write the new tune. This aspect of the project will be continued when he has this cable.

While at Eurospec, I had a look at the options when it comes to lowering the vehicle. There's a KW kit which will drop the ride height 90mm at the front and 80mm at the rear - over 3 inches, which is just what I had hoped for. And I'm told I'll still have the ability to carry 500 or so kilos in the back when I need to. Very happy about this, so I've asked Phil to order the kit so we can get that stage of the project underway, sooner rather than later.

My friend was also supposed to come by and measure up the interior for the mesh wall he has offered to build… he couldn't make it on the day. I will have an update on this when I know more myself.

I will be pleased, once it's installed, to go shopping for the right kinds of attachments needed to secure my training equipment etc, and complete the utility aspect of the project. There are other, luxury options I'm considering for when it's time to travel interstate, such as a 12v powered fridge and backup battery power supply (and the high quality latex foam matting I want to get for the floor, so I can sleep comfortably), but these are things that I really don't need any time soon and can wait a while.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
With all due respect, your project appears to be 90% aesthetic/handling/miscellaneous and 10% specifically to TDI power enhancement. I believe your thread will be much more germane and have a more receptive audience in Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery
Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs
Pictures and discussions about members rides.
I can move it there for you if you like.

Welcome aboard! Was just in Oz last month (Melbourne and Brisbane).

Last edited:

Abaddon

TDI
With all due respect, your project appears to be 90% aesthetic/handling/miscellaneous and 10% specifically to TDI power enhancement. I believe your thread will be much more germane and have a more receptive audience in Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery

I can move it there for you if you like.

Welcome aboard! Was just in Oz last month (Melbourne and Brisbane).
Thank you! I would appreciate that - and maybe you can finally show me how to place my pics in this thread?? I've followed the directions in the how to thread, and created my gallery. Still don't know how to add them here :-/

Abaddon

TDI
Tuned and Badged: BELWAS get his tags for xmas

The ECU tune was a long time in coming, and the mechanic had to come to my work to collect the Caddy and take it away for the day. As it was a 2015 model, with a Siemens (as opposed to a Bosch) ECU, Philip required a more recent cable, and had to remove the ECU completely to bench tune it.

And I was surprised at xmas by my amazing woman, Meg, who bought me the custom plates I had once ruminated about. I had no idea at all that she'd do something this awesome… and expensive. Well, not the kind of money I'd ask her to spend on me, anyway.

I'll add pics when I can be bothered remembering how to upload them here. Such a silly way of doing things.