Programming spare keys

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Previous owner handed me 2 spare keys with immobilizers that were not programmed for the car. They start the car and then it dies.

I have a problem with my door switch saying the door is open leaving the interior lights on when driving and I plan on using the below method as opposed to taking the risk of tearing in to the lock mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EPTthMZji8

If I use this method, will I still be able to program the extra keys?

Would there be some alternate method available?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
There are two "programmings" -- the Fob functions (door open, etc) you can do without special tools. The immobilizer (start) function is a different matter. To do that (1) the key either must have been paired to that car OR must have NEVER been paired to a car before (the pairing burns a security fuse in the chip with the pairing, so once used it cannot be changed) **AND** (2) you need the SKC (a 4-digit number) for the cluster/ECU in the vehicle.

The second was originally provided with SOME vehicles. VW stopped giving them out at purchase during the MkIV run (I never got mine) but there are tools that can extract it. Or, the stealer can program them, but they can't get the key SKC for you anymore since their tool talks to VW directly and sends it to the car; the dealer never sees it. Some locksmiths have a tool that can also extract the SKC from the cluster and thus program the keys. If you go to a third party for keys they should be able to give you the SKC when they extract it. VCDS can pair keys IF you have the SKC.

If you have original keys that work but the physical part is damaged you can CAREFULLY extract the chip in the key and transplant it. This is a fairly delicate operation as the chip is glass-encased and if you break the glass the chip will be destroyed. It's secured with glue; it is possible to get them out without ruining them but not easy.

Beware the "chineesium" tools you can find floating around the Internet for cheap -- all of them have viruses in them and will severely screw up your computer. There is no "safe" way to use one other than to load a PRISTINE copy of Windows, use the tool, then low-level format the disk. I'm being serious about this -- if you wish to try using a VM or similar system go ahead but you're playing with fire. Most of the "robbed" copies are for XP as well (which of course is long since deprecated by Microsoft)

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Previous owner handed me 2 spare keys with immobilizers that were not programmed for the car. They start the car and then it dies.

I have a problem with my door switch saying the door is open leaving the interior lights on when driving and I plan on using the below method as opposed to taking the risk of tearing in to the lock mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EPTthMZji8

If I use this method, will I still be able to program the extra keys?

Would there be some alternate method available?

Thanks.
you might have to replace the chip in the fob and youll need the code to program keys.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all. The malware threat is concerning, though I have a few throwaway boxes that I could destroy the hard drive on afterwards. Still, the hardware is going to cost some money. Was looking for a reason to justify vagcom but they are 2 different utilities and cables.

I'd still like to know if I did my door pin switch rig whether or not the software solution could work or if that would have nothing to do with it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Easier and cheaper to get the computer immobiliser "unprogrammed".
The keys you have fit the ignition, you will get a flashing light on the dash
cluster, a dot of tape fixes the annoying flash, but the car will run.

A good tuner can do it in the car, or remove, and send it off. IIRC
Malone charges around a $100 for the service.

The chip in the fob talks to a "mated" chip in the dash cluster, it's the
computer that shuts the car down. I believe that's what the difficult code to
retrieve is. With the immobiliser software delete you at least you have a spare key(s) that work.

One solution, FWIW.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Easier and cheaper to get the computer immobiliser "unprogrammed".
I agree with this approach.

But let me add, I have had IMMO defeated on 3 MKIV & 2 Audi A6/C5 ECU’s and in none of those scenarios have I been left with a flashing light on the dash.

Three of the above ECU’s were tuned, two were just IMMO. If I recall correctly, the fee for just the IMMO defeat was around $65 + my original shipping cost to the vendor.

I’ll did through old emails to see if I can find some old emails.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"IMMO defeated on 3 MKIV & 2 Audi A6/C5 ECU’s and in none of those scenarios have I been left with a flashing light on the dash.

IMMO defeat was around $65 + my original shipping cost" Rexnico

Ahhh, my light flashes. Who did yours Rex? I've got a spare 'puter I'd like
deleted as a backup.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would just delete the immo and be done with it forever. Unlikely anyone is going to try and steal your car anyway.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
"IMMO defeated on 3 MKIV & 2 Audi A6/C5 ECU’s and in none of those scenarios have I been left with a flashing light on the dash.

IMMO defeat was around $65 + my original shipping cost" Rexnico

Ahhh, my light flashes. Who did yours Rex? I've got a spare 'puter I'd like
deleted as a backup.

Found one receipt (from reflecttunning.com) in my gmail archives, it was $55 (plus the cost to ship the ECU to him), but that was back in 2015.

Here's a link to the old form I used (still hosted by them), but not sure what services they still offer or pricing.

Some google research shows some folks have had a bad experience with him/his company.

I also used a guy (stuklr) known over on Quattroworld for the A6, but it was as part of a stage 1 tune. I'm not sure he does just IMMO services or not. They say you can find him on facebook, but I'm not an FB user, so I can't say.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yeah if I didn't have the SKC and had the issue NOW I'd probably just pay for the immo delete and be done with it. Especially if you don't have (or have easy access to) VCDS, without which you can't pair keys even WITH the SKC.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Rex, no sign of them on the net anymore.
Malone Tuning lists a price of $119, $49 with a tune.

Jeff of Rocketchip did mine while it was in the car, along with
some other upgrades, so I'm not sure if he has a flat fee.
I've got to see him once I get my bigger airbox/MAF in,
I'll bring my spare and have it done.

The flashing light is an annoyance, but I can live with that for
a spare key.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The malware threat is concerning, though I have a few throwaway boxes that I could destroy the hard drive on afterwards.
There's a free program you can d-load to wipe the hard drive out.
DFSEE at www.dfsee.com
I've been using it for many years.
Get the version that you burn to a CD or DVD.
Boot from the DVD, use all defaults.
First format the drive, then in advanced setup write a new boot record deleting all partition configuration.

Hwycruiser

TDI
IMHO you are getting advice that is way too much trouble for your problem. My local dealer charges under $100 to program keys (I have had several done), so I suggest you just pay to have your dealer (shop around for best price) and be done with it. Just figure it was a part of the price for the car. It is also not uncommon for late model used cars to be missing keys.

The door lock problem is also extremely common with these cars. Its not that hard to replace and does not have any impact on the key program. You might as well go ahead and replace the lock if you want to avoid further headaches. Only buy a VW oem lock from a reputable supplier. I have bought the Chinese ones off eBay and although they look the same they did not work.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Call your local shops that work on VW, or even a locksmith. Many have programming abilities. I have software that can delete the immo from OBD if desired, and someone else near you will too probably.

Sometimes ebay keys wont code to the car either, due to wrong or pre used chips, so beware there too if going that route.