Post-Timing Belt Change

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hello All,

So I just got done doing the timing belt replacement on my 03 ALH. I used all the proper tools to get the job done, and followed the DIY guide that is very well known to this forum. IP pin was in the correct hole, everything was in line. Throw everything back together, along with doing the proper centering sequence and bumping. I go to start it and it turns over and cranks for about 5 seconds before starting. Once started, it runs rough. I do not have any tubes put back on yet (intake, EGR, and intercooler). I also replaced the fuel filter. My "caps" for the fuel lines as I was doing the change were not perfect, and so they may not have been completely full going back on, but the fuel filter itself was primed. Before I get too carried away with taking action, is this normal? I have heard of some people who need to advance the timing a bit after doing the change to get it closer to the window to get any start at all. I have not hooked up Vag-Com yet. I would like to get a second opinion before running the engine a whole lot more and checking the timing through vag-com.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Sounds like fuel issue.
If it was running correctly before the belt job, it's good. The timing graph and IQ both are basically relative for idle.
Get things proper in all aspects before troubleshooting.
As long as all your timing markings are correct... your fine for now. Fix the fuel first.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
More than likely either got the pump a tooth off, or timing needs to be advanced. Set engine to tdc on #1, and see if the injection pump lock still goes in for starters.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hello All,
Throw everything back together, along with doing the proper centering sequence and bumping. I go to start it and it turns over and cranks for about 5 seconds before starting. Once started, it runs rough. I do not have any tubes put back on yet (intake, EGR, and intercooler).
Without those things properly attached it will not run properly

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I will be looking at this when I get home, but if the IP pin does not go in at TDC, will I be able to rearrange it without much more teardown? Like loosening the tensioner, taking out the top roller, and move whatever teeth I need to get everything in line? I have read people say that it simply will not start if it is a tooth off on the IP. And as mentioned before, I did watch a video of a guy who had a no start at first, but just advanced the timing a bit, and then it fired right up.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I will be looking at this when I get home, but if the IP pin does not go in at TDC, will I be able to rearrange it without much more teardown? Like loosening the tensioner, taking out the top roller, and move whatever teeth I need to get everything in line? I have read people say that it simply will not start if it is a tooth off on the IP. And as mentioned before, I did watch a video of a guy who had a no start at first, but just advanced the timing a bit, and then it fired right up.
If it's a tooth off, go back to where the cam is free to spin in the write up. Taking the tensioner out of its socket enough to rotate will not yield enough belt to get past the teeth. Cam sprocket must rotate freely when installing thjngs with the cam locked out. This is probably where you messed up? Happens a lot!

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So I ran it a bit more with everything in place, and it fires right up now. I'm working on the timing, and the graph shows it's way advanced. It almost sounds like it's got a bit of a noise when it fires up. Not sure if that's cause it's in the garage in the air right now or if it's concerning

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Set the timing somewhere between the middle and the top line and set your IQ around 4.? and call it a day.

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Quick update. I went forward with the timing process and got it in spec and now she purrs like a kitten, ready to go 100,000 miles. That issue of it taking a couple seconds to start I am guessing was just a bubble in the fuel line or something of the sorts. Thanks everyone for your help. (y)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
After the fact, but when I do a TB job, I do not perform any other maintenance on the engine. Then, when I get the engine started and confirm that everything is working properly, I proceed to do all those other things (change fuel filter, oil, oil filter, air filter, etc.). Thus, if there are issues, I will know it is not with my primary mission, changing the timing belt.

Glad you sorted it ...

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After the fact, but when I do a TB job, I do not perform any other maintenance on the engine. Then, when I get the engine started and confirm that everything is working properly, I proceed to do all those other things (change fuel filter, oil, oil filter, air filter, etc.). Thus, if there are issues, I will know it is with my primary mission, changing the timing belt.

Glad you sorted it ...
I have followed this advice since I first saw you post it quite a while ago (years maybe?).

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
One more follow up question. I know in the market of ALH's having proof of a timing belt change is extremely important. Papers/receipts from the shop done. Since this was done myself, is the proof just off the honesty system? I could probably get a receipt for kit purchased and for the tool rental kit to help show I didn't do the mark and pray method. Is there something else people do for this issue? I do not plan on selling any time soon, but just something probably good to have on hand.