Plan to buy an Audi A6 TDI Quattro & need input

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
I plan to buy a 2014 Audi A6 TDI Quattro & need some input please. This supposedly has a 3.0 ltr V6 diesel. Is that correct? Does it have a timing belt or chain? What are some common mods people do to them? I assume an EGR delete is a given? What are common problems with them? I have owned a 2002 Jetta TDI for the last 20 years and got almost 400,000 miles out of it so I am familiar with VW diesels. Any input is appreciated. I didn't see a forum for Audi TDI sedans so I assume this is the correct place to post this.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hi,

Those V6 TDI’s have timing chain.

There are a Audi forum but strongly gasser owned people, small number of TDI’s on there.

This site would still be good because those V6 are shared with Q5/7, A7 as well and VW Touareg TDI’s. Keep a eye on those other groups for specific engine.

4vdubs

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2003, Silver
Did you ever get the A6 TDI?

I’ve been away from this forum for years after leaving the VW diesel family. But I did end up with a 2014 A6 TDI. It’s been an amazing car. I’ve had it 5 years and it now has 207,xxx miles on it. I did just get my very first emissions fault though. Something I expected to happen years ago.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Yes I bought the 2014 Audi A6 TDI sedan. It has 117,000 miles and runs great. Every now and then I get multiple lights popping up and upon asking those familiar with the car they say its most likely the wheel speed sensor. From my investigations, replacing the wheel speed sensor is easy but doing the electronic calibrating is a pain in the butt. My friend who owns several VW & Audi TDI's (and has worked on my Jetta for many years) has a vagcom and when he hooked it up to my car it could not tell him which wheel the speed sensor has gone bad on. My local VW/Audi shop said the vagcom can't tell you which wheel sensor is bad. However, they have the right equipment (Otis) to read it but they want $120 just to hook it up and tell me which wheel it is. They also say the part is $175 (which is the same price the dealer quoted me) but my local import parts shop said they can get it for $75. So whether I use the dealership or the local VW/Audi shop, it will be close to $500 to replace the wheel speed sensor. I'm hoping my buddy can get the Otis program so he can do it and save me several hundred dollars.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Who is your tdi buddy... Luke in Louisville? I've still been checking the used car pages. I've been playing around with the idea of getting an a8 and deleting, the prices really arent nuts compared to what basic vw's are going for... I just know this is a project where i'll need some more friends ;)

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
LOL @ wheel sensor, VCDS inability, sensor calibration, and pretty much everything else.

Get the autoscan results and post them up....

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Who is your tdi buddy... Luke in Louisville?
Yep. Luke is great.

LOL @ wheel sensor, VCDS inability, sensor calibration, and pretty much everything else.

Get the autoscan results and post them up....
I'm a bit confused by your reply. Can you please elaborate? Where do I get the autoscan results? Just have an auto parts store read the codes?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm a bit confused by your reply. Can you please elaborate? Where do I get the autoscan results? Just have an auto parts store read the codes?
You said Luke has VCDS and knows how to use it.
He can generate said scan and give it to you to post, showing that it doesn't tell you which sensor is giving you errors, etc.