Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Starting this thread to keep track of VCDS tips and tricks which apply to the American Passat. A lot will carry over from other models, but this will give one spot to look for Passat owners.

Here's a list of links:

Enable Rain Sensing Wipers. 2012s come with this turned off.

Enable Rain Closing Feature. Shuts all the windows and sunroof when the alarm is set and the windshield gets wet.

Remote Control Windows / Sunroof. As of April 2012 we do not know how to enable remote control of the windows. I was able to get remote opening / closure of the sunroof working by changing the long coding on my Body Control Module.

Enable Voice Commands on the RNS-510 These get turned off by an update, but are easy to re-activate.

Thanks,

-Jason
well 2 features I love 1) auto light 2) rain sensing wipers...well I knew I had the auto light and thanks to you I now have the rain sensing.....

Maybe I should try it on my 04 Bew....cheers

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I enabled my navigation voice commands, but now it doesn't respond to my phone attempts as before. Does this change the recognized voice commands? I used to be able to just push the voice button on the wheel and say "call home". It would ask for conformation that it recognized the right name, then I say yes and it dials. If I say call home now, the address book opens at the beginning of the list and asks me to select the correct name, which isn't visible.

Any ideas?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yeah, seems to activate whenever ABS kicks in.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Starting this thread to keep track of VCDS tips and tricks which apply to the American Passat. A lot will carry over from other models, but this will give one spot to look for Passat owners.

Here's a list of links:

Enable Rain Sensing Wipers. 2012s come with this turned off.

Enable Rain Closing Feature. Shuts all the windows and sunroof when the alarm is set and the windshield gets wet.

Remote Control Windows / Sunroof. As of April 2012 we do not know how to enable remote control of the windows. I was able to get remote opening / closure of the sunroof working by changing the long coding on my Body Control Module.

Enable Voice Commands on the RNS-510 These get turned off by an update, but are easy to re-activate.

Thanks,

-Jason

Ok I tried this one and it works...But only for the front doors and sunroof..and not for rear windows.

I also noticed the rear windows do not have the one touch auto feature...
I have the Highline...I thought I read somewhere that all 4 are 1 touch..

Thank you, I see it as a useful feature especially for the sunroof, in the summer time.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Mine has one touch on all four windows from the factory. Even my 2011 Tiguan did. Can't remember if my 06 Jetta did, but I think so.

DeadCatBounce

TDI
2013 SEL Passat TDI
Shak911,

Did you check to see if it needs to be enabled in the MFI? Seems to me the option is there on my '13 SEL TDI.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Shak911,
Did you check to see if it needs to be enabled in the MFI? Seems to me the option is there on my '13 SEL TDI.
all windows are working today..as well as the auto for the back windows...
however mirror down still not working...I think I read somewhere that you need the memory seat feature..if so then why is it on the menu?
The change in the window issue,may be attributed to yesterday, as I had all the fuses yanked out trying to figure what one controlled the cooling fans...neither panel had a diagram...(would love to get one)... and doing so I had reset the ecu.
I will check vcds again for the mirror, maybe I missed a bit somewhere, or I have conflicting bytes...I only had this vehicle since Friday and learned so much since...but still 1 drop in a bucket.
cheers

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I enabled my navigation voice commands, but now it doesn't respond to my phone attempts as before. Does this change the recognized voice commands? I used to be able to just push the voice button on the wheel and say "call home". It would ask for conformation that it recognized the right name, then I say yes and it dials. If I say call home now, the address book opens at the beginning of the list and asks me to select the correct name, which isn't visible.

Any ideas?
I think I found the issue. I went in and looked at the settings under Radio, and discovered it was set to Dutch :eek: and voice control was deactivated. I changed it to English and enabled voice control, and now I have my radio voice control back to normal and still have nav voice control. Have to experiment now to see if it all works the way I want. :D

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
all windows are working today..as well as the auto for the back windows...
The auto windows have to be 'relearned' any time the power is disconnected. Just manually run them up and down and it learns what it needs for the pinch protection again.

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I haven't been able to find it, but is there a feature that will turn on your headlights if you turn on your windshield wipers?

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I haven't been able to find it, but is there a feature that will turn on your headlights if you turn on your windshield wipers?

Wipers on, lights on. It's the law in many states, but mostly unenforced. If you desire it, can't you just turn the lights on following the wipers ?

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, but it would be nice if it did it automatically. Some times it is light enough that I don't think about turning them on until I happen to see someone coming in the other direction who doesn't have their headlights on. In my Chrysler van, there is a setting in the MFD for having the headlights turn on automatically when the wipers are turned on. Of course it only works if you have your headlight switch turned to Automatic.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Interesting ! I have to look on my 2015 next time it rains. I thought DRL went out and headlights came on when my wipers came on.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
My Passat doesn't have the rain sensor. My Tiguan did, and no the lights did not come on with the wipers. I was surprised it didn't. My daughter's Routan does, but of course that's the Chrysler side of the family. :)

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Disable E-Brake Warning?

Is it possible to disable the emergency brake warning? Very occasionally I use the e-brake to scrub a bit of speed and I was very surprised the first time (and only) time I did it in the NMS. Sort of like setting off airport security when you're not expecting it. :D

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Why would you use the brake to scrub speed, just simply press your brake pedal. It is not meant for use while you are driving, except for in an emergency or parking hence the 2 names...

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I use it to not draw the attention of LEOs on the rare occasions when I don't notice their presence and want slow discreetly. Again, very occasionally and very briefly.

Well, and also to practice J turns. :)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Im right there with ya, only more extreme with my background of rally and off road. I use my "handbrake" :D all the time to drop a quick 10mph without brake lights or the front end dipping down. Handbrake assisted turns when wet are also a plus :cool:

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

No. You have to turn them on yourself. It's a moot point for me, because I run the headlights all the time. I wish everyone else did, too.

MonkeyTime

TDI
'10 MKV
I was in the rain today, 2015 SEL and soon after wipers started DRL went off and head lights were on.
I'm going to guess you had the lights on "auto"? I've seen this too, but think it's just the lights coming on because of the photocell......

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
I'm going to guess you had the lights on "auto"? I've seen this too, but think it's just the lights coming on because of the photocell......

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
Auto yes. Maybe true, however everytime it has rained so far the wipers run. The DRL light in the dash goes out and lights are on. I always check so I don't get a ticket.

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto yes. Maybe true, however everytime it has rained so far the wipers run. The DRL light in the dash goes out and lights are on. I always check so I don't get a ticket.
I've noticed that in Auto mode, the lights come on when it is still very light out. I wish there was a way to set the sensitivity of the photocell so the headlights didn't turn on so easily.

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
The VCDS Cable & this Thread combined make an amazing tool.

Helped me program my RNS-510 after swapping it out with my existing RNS-315.
Allowed me to program the footwell lights (front & rear) I installed.
Boosted headlight and tail light output to 100% (LED/HID in the front & LED's in the rear).
Changed courtesy blinkers to 4 clicks
Adjusted speedometer to accurately read speed on needle & digital gauge.
Removed RNS-510 data entry speedometer
Enabled remote open/close windows & sunroof via KESSEY FOB

Thanks to everyone who's helped build this thread!

Last edited:

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Where did you make the speedo changes? What coding did you use to adjust it...meaning what number did you use in the coding to adjust it? Thanks

The VCDS Cable & this Thread combined make an amazing tool.

Helped me program my RNS-510 after swapping it out with my existing RNS-315.
Allowed me to program the footwell lights (front & rear) I installed.
Boosted headlight and tail light output to 100% (LED/HID in the front & LED's in the rear).
Changed courtesy blinkers to 4 clicks
Adjusted speedometer to accurately read speed on needle & digital gauge.
Removed RNS-510 data entry speedometer
Enabled remote open/close windows & sunroof via KESSEY FOB

Thanks to everyone who's helped build this thread!

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Where did you make the speedo changes? What coding did you use to adjust it...meaning what number did you use in the coding to adjust it? Thanks
1-Instruments / 2-Adaptation / 3-(Drop down menu) Distance Impulse Meter / 4- Was set to "3", I changed it to "4" / 5- Save & Exit (Also FYI, this is with stock tires & rims with recommended inflation pressure)