P0101 what next

MandyDingle

TDI
1.9 tdi 04 VW Touran
Hi noob here I’ve got a 2004 1.9 tdi Touran

I got the Code P0101

mass or volume air flow a circuit range / performance

I’ve done a full service (as it was due) and changed the air filter I also cleaned the MAF sensor but I’m still getting the EML (comes back on after about 40 miles)

just wondering what to do next, whether to replace the MAF sensor or look somewhere else?

Cheers

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Check the boost pipes for a leak, I had a crack in one of mine giving that code. Pipe replaced, fault gone.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where abouts is this located ?
This is your boost pipe set up coming from the turbo, through the intercooler then up to the intake. You're basically checking that lot for a leak. On my car it was one of the rubbery hoses down by the intercooler but my car isn't a touran. The fault you have is common to all VW based tdi cars.

MandyDingle

TDI
1.9 tdi 04 VW Touran
Thanks that image is very useful, Lots of pipes for potential leaks! Hopefully my issues is one of these, snow is hampering progress!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks that image is very useful, Lots of pipes for potential leaks! Hopefully my issues is one of these, snow is hampering progress!

Well that's just nuts, I'm up in the highlands of Scotland and there's no snow lol

Mind you, I've been known to sit in the snow and change clutches etc

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So far I Can’t feel any holes in pipes or air escaping but one of the connectors is held together with cable ties!

https://postimg.cc/8frG24TJ

I can’t tell if this can be fixed by a connector or needs whole new pipes

Looks pretty botched, do you hear any hissing sounds or that going up hill or anything? A sort of loud pfffft sort of noise.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I'm not familiar with the Touran, we didn't get them here in the U.S.. Also not as familiar with what engines were offered, but I assume probably a PD of some kind.

If it is an 8 valve PD, they are known for wearing camshafts and causing a P0101 code. So, if that is what your Touran has, it would be worth removing the valve cover to inspect the camshaft and tappets.