Option for new buy bad turbo

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
The cold side went and theres some aluminum dust that made its way to the last rubber elbow before the intake.
Option one clean the boost tract out and install new turbo or used and hope the cylinders are up to snuff.
Option 2 buy used motor now car-part has some for about the price of a new turbo.
Option 3 buy used motor used turbo from that see how it goes
Shes got 283k on it used motors ckeck in at about 100-150k

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Even when the Passat turbos went, usually you just changed the oil pump incase any pieces made its way down and those were bad. So assuming yours isnt that bad, Id say just clean it out, maybe do an oil change when you replace the turbo just incase anything made its way down or see any dust in the oil. Just proceed with caution.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
How about option 4?
Do some diagnostics and digging to see how much other potential damage you have on your current motor.
Scope it, drop the pan, check compression, etc.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Turns out found an engine for 699 with 58k 1 yr warranty thats less than a new turbo. So since the original is so high milage im going to drop the whole mess in an add to the family in the basement, mk3, mk 4 bew,mk4 alh x 3.5. Would be a hoot to put in my wrangler

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have the cr140 off my cjaa motor. It'll need an exhaust housing bolt extracted. Has 150k on it