Operation Installation is COMPLETED. 7/9/2004

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Operation Installation is underway. 7/2/2004

Yes! The engine, transmission, and front cradle were installed! Time: 16:05 ET.
That's got to be the CLEANEST engine bay and engine I've ever seen! Looks like it came right off the production line.

L

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP

That's got to be the CLEANEST engine bay and engine I've ever seen! Looks like it came right off the production line.
I would totally have to agree with you Lito. There must have been 2 people that spent alot of time cleaning that.

Dan

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I would totally have to agree with you Lito. There must have been 2 people that spent alot of time cleaning that.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp

Just dropped in from a link on Vortex. This looks like a great conversion, but please excuse my lack of knowledge on it.

I figured out that it will become a V6 TDI 6-speed, but what did it start as? Also, what extra mods are being added (besides the obvious)?
The car started as a Gas V6 4-motion auto.
And the upgrade, as much as i can tell by knowing the owner, will be basicly every possible VAG Factory available option.Which means the European options.No crazy Street Racing mods.I'll be a North American Factory Correct V6 TDI (in red letters) 6-speed 4-Motion.

You can read more about it in the forums ....the project has it's own MAIN thread.

Ps

Nice work Eric and everybody helping you.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

does it run?

Hopefully you guys had better luck today than I did...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Day 8

More interior wiring
the instrument panel frame and wiring were installed
front brakes assembled
steering column secured
brakes and clutch bled
engine wiring and vacuum hoses connected
radiator, AC condensor, and lock carrier installed (all the stuff in front of the engine behind the grill)
propeller shaft installed
battery installed
cabin filter installed
wipers reinstalled
V6 exhaust system installed (encounterred a fitting problem with the intended exhaust)
transmission filled
rear differential fluid changed

Had to wait on starting the engine. Missing a fuel feed line that connects the lines from the back of car to the fuel filter. Amazingly in all the spare parts around here, we couldn't find a piece long enough with the right diameter.
First order of business is a trip to the auto parts store this morning.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Day 9

At 14:06 ET it roared to life!!!!! More later.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle

It brings a tear to my eye. The level of workmanship and attention to detail that you all are insisting on is terrific, I salute you. I can just close my eyes and imagine the feel of driving this thing....

Mmmmmmmmm

Mark

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

propeller shaft installed
Heh heh.... ummmm, may I ask????

Gus
are you trying to be stupid, or was that a serious question?

propeller shaft is a widely used term for the driveshaft running to the rear wheels...

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls

Glen, Eric, or Dan,

I left my digital camera on the table right behind Glens laptop. If one of you could bring it to the Berryville GTG, tomorrow that would be great!

Jeff

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue

So which connector was unhooked to result in the lack of a speed sensor signal? I heard you trying as I was disassembling the V6 gas engine and tranny combo...but no full function.

And to think, I left 1/2 hour before it roared to life...damn, that sucks, I wanted to be there too.

Mikey

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

A lot of finishing work was required to make it road capable.

At 21:48 Eric drove it across the IMPEX warehouse and onto the flatbed truck. It was lowered to the ground and Eric took off. Down Williamson Lane and back...with a very big grin.

I have to say it is a very sweet, quiet ride. The engine just purrs. It is fantastic.

Pictures momentarily.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant

Sound, lights, action.... Sounds like it's getting time to get some video online;)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Operation Installation is done. 7/9/2004

Day's events

Setbacks:
1) engine speed sensor was defective - solved using the sensor from the gasser (it just has a shorter cable)
2) the front of the car had to be pulled loose to install a ballast resistor for radiator fans
3) fog lights had to be removed because they hit the intercoolers
4) bumper cover supports need customization
5) bad connection to a fuel sender - tracked down and fixed

But we kept at it and eventually had it reassembled and ready to roll.

At 21:48 Eric drove it for the first time.

With an assits from Condon's Auto Parts it was out of the IMPEX warehouse.

Back down to earth

And he was off into the night

Then picked up a few hitchhikers

The job was done.

Well, mostly. Yes, there are some finishing touches waiting for parts to come in, adjustments, etc. But the fact is, Eric has accomplished the task he set out to do (with a little help
from friends).

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

TERRIFIC!!! Can I dare to dream that you'll be taking this car up here to waterfest in a week Eric???

Also, is this a set of 4 "widgets" to hold on the engine cover?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

[hemi commercial voice] Sweeeeeeeeetttt! [/voice]

-Jason waiting.on.my.toes.until.I.can.hear.and.or.see.a.recorting.of.this.rig.operating

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

Ya know... it would be interesting to take that ride to a dealer and see the puzzled looks on their faces
Maby some kind of hidden camera setup.

-Jason

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP

waiting.on.my.toes.until.I.can.hear.and.or.see.a.recorting.of.this.rig.operating
She sounds like no other TDI. It's loud, but in the car with doors and windows closed. You can hardly hear it. It is an amazing car. I'm glad I was able to give Eric a helping hand and see a bit of TDI history in the making. Awesome plan Eric, and even better outcome.
Dan

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion

Friends, Romans, Countrymen... .Lend me your ears...

I cannot begin to thank Glen, Dan, Lito, Lee, John Yates, John S., Dan Grayson, Joe, and anyone else who I may have forgotten to name. This project is proof that hard work and determination can overcome whatever is placed in front of us.

This project started in December as a solution to a problem. I needed a 4-wheel drive vehicle because of how far I live from civilization and the need to make it to work whenever a problem arises. Add to that the fact that it is a 100 mile round trip to work. Fuel economy in AWD cars is not something high up on the list. Nathan from Europarts Solutions had in his possession a 2000 V6 TDI Passat drivetrain that needed a home. The quest was on and I found a 2001 (B5) Passat wagon in Houston Texas. It arrived on 18 December 2003. I had started research on the project about 1 month prior to that. While I don;t have every hour accounted for, I do have over 600 Hours of research in this project to ensure that it would be a smooth transition. The final Microsoft Project tasks list exceeded 400 tasks. We encountered a few bumps in the road that added about 50 tasks to the list to ensure that something wasn't missed. While I don;t have a total for the cost of the conversion, It is looking like the gross is going to be around $10,000. But I will begin placing things on eBay, and the old engine has already found a new home to the tune of $1500.

Is it worth it?

To me... YES!!!!! And in the big picture of things that is all that counts.

There are a few bugs left to work out. The car is disgustingly in need of a total cleaning so that it will be in show shape for the next GTG. I also have to install a few small parts that have not yet arrived along with the coding of a few control modules so that everything car talk to each other. The good news is that the PDC and Power Seats with Memory functioned without fault. The only DTC's that I am getting right now have to do with the ESP system not being coded and the Steering angle sensor not calibrated.

Now for the review of the first 50Km....

Quiet.... UFB Quiet.... I made 1 jaunt in 5th to 160Km/h and it was smoother than the gasser before it, and was Quiet... I think that there is a need to adjust the timing, and I have to check all the injector lines and return hoses. There has a little bit of a Fresh Diesel smell when I shut off the car though I didn't see any leaks. I also need to "adjust" the cover that fits over the ABS/ESP unit so that the under-hood looks "Finished".

Cheers... SVTWEB

Last edited:

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black

Never heard it referred to it as that, actually. Sorry for the levity.

Gus

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Incredible. A trip to Germany is the ONLY excuse I have right now in missing the last few, but important days. Darn.

So as my head is turning this way and that here, seeing cars that I've only seen in magazines, I've decided it's time to start shooting some photographs.

Every other car is clearly a diesel. I have yet to see a V6 Passat TDI, but I'm looking and listening

Congratulations Eric, you never had any doubt and neither did we!

L

PS. So Glen, what about a 150 PD conversion?

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite

All I can say is Congrats!

Eric is in no danger of losing the EuroKing status

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

Incredible. A trip to Germany is the ONLY excuse I have right now in missing the last few, but important days. Darn.

So as my head is turning this way and that here, seeing cars that I've only seen in magazines, I've decided it's time to start shooting some photographs.

Every other car is clearly a diesel. I have yet to see a V6 Passat TDI, but I'm looking and listening

Congratulations Eric, you never had any doubt and neither did we!

L

PS. So Glen, what about a 150 PD conversion?
Ahem Ahem... And what parts will you be returning with...

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue

Oooh to have been there!!!! I wish I were.

I look forward to my ride in the amazing one of a kind supercar!!!!

Mikey