Old Navy's Fall '11 GTG The Last Hurrah!!!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well it's time to start planning for the fall GTG, this will be on Saturday 15 Oct GTG and held here at the house if that date seems to be ok with most everyone.

As usual we will provide the food and drink, but if you have something special you want to bring feel free to do so. We have a gas fired grill and if you want to warm up something or cook something special feel free to do so. What we do is try to provide all the food and drink along with a outside porta-potty for the guys. The reason for this is that everyone is generally coming in from 3 to 6 hr drive, and some may be 10 or 12 hrs road time, and it is hard to travel with food for those distances. Also if some are not able to come at last minute who is bringing something needed we would be caught short, by my providing it and then everyone chipping in to the kitty to offset our expenses no one goes hungry or thirsty.

Now for the bad news, this will be the last of the Old Navy GTG's folk's. Besides no longer owning a TDI or even a diesel car of any kind, these GTG's have getten to be just too much for me these days. I'll be 66 for this GTG and age and all that intails has just finally caught up me folks. I hope to see most, if not all of the old regulars here for a last hurrah.

Links to Past Oct GTG's, enjoy. :D

Fall 2003 GTG

Fall 2004 GTG

Fall 2005 GTG

Fall 2006 GTG

Fall 2007 GTG

Fall 2008 GTG

Fall 2009 GTG

Fall 2010 GTG

Some Spring GTG's also:

Spring 2003 GTG

Spring 2005 GTG

Work List:
As yet to be determined.

VW TB List:
As yet to be determined.

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)

General maintenance & trouble shooting, may include MB's:

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

Remember guys this is a DIY with supervision, unless you make arrangements with one of the individuals that has tools & ability such as MOGolf, Paramedick or someone else. You can post on the last page that info so I can note it in the TB & General Maintenance sections.

Here are the local motel phone numbers for those needing lodging and directions to the house.

Comfort Inn 800-228-5150

Bullwinkles Rustic Lodge 573-778-3535

Holiday Inn 573-776-1200

Super 8 Motel 800-800-8000

Here are the directions for those who need them.

If you are coming from St Louis take I-55 South to Festus/Crystal City area, (exit 174 I think) then take 67 South about 120 miles to Poplar Bluff. Stay on 67 business/ Westwood Blvd, do not take any exits. About 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer; you will come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming south from IL, the NE area of the US, or SE area of US such as Memphis, take I-57 to US 60, and US 60 to Poplar Bluff, and if coming by I-55 go to the I-55 and US 60 interchange at Sikeston MO. Take the 60 West exit to Poplar Bluff, approx 52 miles. At the second Poplar Bluff exit take the second exit for business 67S/Westwood Blvd. Once on business 67S you will pass the local Dodge/Jeep dealer, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer till you come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill, at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming in from the south of town on Hwy 67N (as some of you AR boys are) Take the 3rd Poplar Bluff exit. You will see the local Dodge/Jeep dealer on your right at this off ramp, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer on Business 67S/Westwood Blvd till you come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy Lane becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming in from the west, go to Springfield MO, and from there take US Highway 60 E to Poplar Bluff. It is all 4 lanes except about 30 miles of the 190 miles to Poplar Bluff. You will take Hwy 60 W to the intersection of 60 and 67 at that point you will take the first exit (60E and 67S) and head south about 8 miles. You will come to an interchange, do not take any exits. You will pass the local Dodge and Jeep dealer, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer, till you come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

For those coming in at the north side of the town (everyone should be) and going straight to the motel, go past the second light and the Super8 is on the right, next to the McDonald's and you can turn into the McD's (easiest way) lot to get to Super8. Holiday inn is on the right about 1/8th mile past the McD's. The Drury and Comfort Inn motels are about 1/4 mile down the road on the left. The Bluff Inn is about 1/10th mile passed the Drury and Comfort Inn's on the opposite side of Westwood Blvd/67 Business.

GPS:

36*47'01"N
090*23'43"W

2610 W. Avondale St
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901

If you have any questions just ask.

Home is 573-785-0184

Cell is 573-778-6907

Remember KK donuts are always welcome and make the wife happy.

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt:

Hot diggity, another ONGTG! Sorry this will be the last though. I am planning to bring Ian again this year, and hopefully we can make it. I will let you know.

Dan

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'll try to be there. Sad for the last ON GTG...

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Was at the first perhaps the last is possible

I'll be 66 too you are not the only one.... LoL.

This might be the 100th GTG for me..... I'll have to check.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
How's the flooding situation in PB Walt?
Hopefully KCTDI will make the trip with me. I look forward to seeing you and Linda again, along with some other familiar faces.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
PeterV it would be nice to see you again.

As for flooding here in town goes it was the east side of town and we are north central side and high and dry about 150' above river level here at the house. However three or four 6 to 8 inch and one that must have been ten inches that only took about 10 minutes to fall has left the driveway needing another visit by the big disel dump truck filled with chat towing a bobcat to spread the stuff.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
My Word--
When I heard Poplar Bluff....
I am so glad to hear that your OK.
:D

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Hi JETaah long time no hear from, let alone see. Hope to see you in Oct. :D

Hey US 60/I-57 is open open again after being closed a couple days. :)

Our worry now in SE MO is the two lake's above us that only need 1 to 2 inches of rain to over flow and start the flooding all over again and the forecast for next 3 to 4 days is 4 to 6 inches of rain. :eek:

As I have been typing this we have gotten 3/4" of rain here at the house. :(

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Anybody hear how Walt's town is holding up? Just saw on the news Poplar Bluff is flooding out-they rescued an older lady that tried to drive through high water:eek:.... hope you're ok.....

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Anybody hear how Walt's town is holding up? Just saw on the news Poplar Bluff is flooding out-they rescued an older lady that tried to drive through high water:eek:.... hope you're ok.....
It's wet, but at least we have finally had two days of sun for our 40 days of rain.

Walt's political emails are flowing so I presume he is alive and on the net.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
I saw a post from Walt saying he is OK. Apparently he lives on higher ground, but other parts of PB were hit pretty hard.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
We are on noth side of Poplar Bluff and about 400' above sea level and about 200' above the area that's flooding. Haven't GPS the town in at least 6 years and don't remember the exact.

Highway 60 between Poplar Bluff and Dexter about 25 miles from here had to be closed for a short while, but when opened they only had 2 lanes of the 4 lanes open. The highway still only has 3 lanes open as of today.

Luckly Lind's only missed one day of work, she works in Dexter as a lab tech at a group of doctors clinic.

Thanks for all the concern folks.

Walt, Linda & boys.

jettalee

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta
Walt, I'm putting the date on the calendar right now so we don't book any trips and miss this 'last' GTG.

We'll certainly miss those GTG's but hopefully Bill and I can get ourselves organized and start offering them here at our place. We did one but then life got in the way.

God bless,
Lee Ann

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Walt, I'm putting the date on the calendar right now so we don't book any trips and miss this 'last' GTG.

We'll certainly miss those GTG's but hopefully Bill and I can get ourselves organized and start offering them here at our place. We did one but then life got in the way.

God bless,
Lee Ann

Life often has a way of doing that Lee Ann.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Now for the bad news, this will be the last of the Old Navy GTG's folk's. Besides no longer owning a TDI or even a diesel car of any kind, these GTG's have getten to be just too much for me these days. I'll be 66 for this GTG and age and all that intails has just finally caught up me folks. I hope to see most, if not all of the old regulars here for a last hurrah.
I may not have a TDI at the time of the GTG either, but I will try and make it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I'll be 68 in early October with no plans to quit work or slow down. If I can be near the area, I'll try to make it. My Passat should have 150K on it by then.;)

I believe a follow up trip to St' Louis may be in order at that time to get the TB changed and a trans flush by Oilhammer.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
We have penciled this GTG into our calendar as the 15th is our anniversary. We will drive down and just hang out. Of course if anyone wants to drive a modestly fast TDI they can take mine for a ride.

Me and my GA peach will bring anything you would like to the GTG too. Tools, beer, or food...

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Been reading about these since '03...never have made one.

Now that we have property in southern Missouri, we have an extra draw to get this on the schedule.

Dang it Walt...you really need to get another TDI. This is just wrong...:D

Tim

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Tarbe one problem is 150 miles to dealer, and that can be a PIA for warranty service or just regular service.

Truman I think he got a lemon, seems it has spent mre time at dealership than with him.

Hey our Chrysler van is same as VW van, made in same factory here in US. The VW has same interior as the Dodge and has the Chrysler T&C Touring suspension for better handling. The T&C has a nicer interior with more options then '11 VW has available.

Last edited:

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
What's the story with your Golf?
a basic recap- http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270973
the car has had over 4 months of shop time, it is a "Shop Pet" at two dealerships, as it spent almost 12 weeks at one and another 10 at the second, not to mention a few overnights and a 5-10 days of other shop visits.
(it is an electrical issue no one seems to know what, why or Where)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Wow, I think they owe you a new car- at the least. Your patience is unbelievable. I don't think that I could darken VW's doorway again after such an experience.

smltwnguy30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI 2 dr 5 spd
Well I have not been to a single GTG since I joined this site but hopefully I can make several this summer! Would be awesome to make it since Walt's last GTG is so close to me! My TDI should be up and running soon!

Hope all is well for all of you!

Preston

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
sir reasons,,,if all the people show,,that want to,,for this last one,,you best rent the wal-mart parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D