Oil Filter every 10,000 miles is overkill?

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
If I could get a H badged diesel wagon with a manual.. I wouldn't be registered on this forum. :p

I also am in the camp of "I will change the filter if my masters tell me." And if able to get one. But that doesn't mean its doing anything useful necessarily. Looks like it is likely not doing anything useful based on some of the feedback in the thread.

I have had cars that burned enough oil to be perpetually full of new oil. Zero of those were Hondas though..

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
As someone who has taken a Mazda B2000 pickup past 400k miles, I know about "burned enough oil to be perpetually full of new oil" :D It didn't actually get a conventional oil change for the last ~70k miles of its life. And was still running perfectly fine when I smashed into a deer.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Disagree with the “inexpensive” part. My Honda doesn’t have a fuel filter replacement every 20,000. Or $1300 timing belt replacement. Tires are only $70 each and oil just 3 quarts
Timing belts cost $1300? Last I checked, everyone sold them for around $300. Well, okay, maybe closer to $400 when you factor in an oil change and some G13 coolant, but $1300? remind me to stay away from your source for parts!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Timing belts cost $1300? Last I checked, everyone sold them for around $300. Well, okay, maybe closer to $400 when you factor in an oil change and some G13 coolant, but $1300? remind me to stay away from your source for parts!
*To have a dealer replace, I think that is close to the cost. Never had a dealer do that work on any of mine but it's spendy, even at 100-120k mile intervals. All I know is that regular and timely maintenance (and some car washes) will keep these things on the road for many many happy miles in my experience. We have a 300 and 200k TDI in our little fleet and a nice MK7 GSP TDI with just 80k, I love my TDI's and VW for all their weird and some times annoying quirks has treated my family well. :)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
FWIW, i have always changed the filter with the oil and usually let it go fairly far, the TDI got 14k between changes, the escape i do about 10k (supposed to be 7.5k, and all my other cars usually whenever, but never get to far past service.
never once had i have a failure or have i heard of a failure being from going a bit past oil changes other than in sub 0 temp areas. old oil just wont move.

the chances of something else taking out the engine are way higher than it just getting old and failing because you didn't change the oil properly. (USUALLY)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
*To have a dealer replace, I think that is close to the cost. Never had a dealer do that work on any of mine but it's spendy, even at 100-120k mile intervals. All I know is that regular and timely maintenance (and some car washes) will keep these things on the road for many many happy miles in my experience. We have a 300 and 200k TDI in our little fleet and a nice MK7 GSP TDI with just 80k, I love my TDI's and VW for all their weird and some times annoying quirks has treated my family well. :)
I didn't think about that, but I won't let the stealership touch my cars. I made that mistake once for my CPO warranty, and decided to void it by pulling the emissions crap (a lot of it myself). Changing the timing belt on a CJAA is honestly very easy. I still can't get over $900 of labor - it's not even an 9 hour feat!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
FWIW, i have always changed the filter with the oil and usually let it go fairly far, the TDI got 14k between changes, the escape i do about 10k (supposed to be 7.5k, and all my other cars usually whenever, but never get to far past service.
never once had i have a failure or have i heard of a failure being from going a bit past oil changes other than in sub 0 temp areas. old oil just wont move.

the chances of something else taking out the engine are way higher than it just getting old and failing because you didn't change the oil properly. (USUALLY)
You don't have to add oil between changes? On everything, I usually gotta add some oil by the 5K mark.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You don't have to add oil between changes? On everything, I usually gotta add some oil by the 5K mark.
oh yea, definitely. usually because the repair is more $ than the oil im going to burn and or i live to accept it. my escape will use about 2 quarts over 10K, the TDI used very little, about 1/4 to half a quart in 14K. my SBC van, LOL that beast never lost a drop in its life but 4k oil changes because well, 1985 was a good year for SBC engines! even with 230K on the clock.
worst offender is my nighthawk, 3k oil changes, eats about 2 quarts between changes, only a 3 quart system. needless to say that engine is being rebuilt right now. turns out it has stuck oil rings. this is why i hate air / oil cooled engines that rev to 11,000 RPMs

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I don't think I really like any aircooled engines. I've been toying with selling my Yanmar 2kw diesel generator as a result. It's nice to have, but who the hell survives on only 2kw?

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Bad air cooled motors are bad because they are bad, not because they are aircooled. Maybe I'm just old but IMHO plenty of excellent ones. How many miles were on that nighthawk? Not really familiar with those.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I said air cooled (the night hawk has an oil cooler too) engines that rev to the moon. governor cutoff is 9500 and i drove it that way most of the time.
most reliable engines are air cooled IMO specially 2 strokes.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Right, the 1st sentence was meant for pkhoury. Last part was for you.. I have had a few air cooled bikes too. Guessing dohc "cb750" right? I am more familiar with the single cam ones.

I have skipped filters a few times in my life because I couldn't find a filter. Kind of bugged me at the times it happened, but now that I read this thread.. Well it won't bother me the next time it happens.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Right, the 1st sentence was meant for pkhoury. Last part was for you.. I have had a few air cooled bikes too. Guessing dohc "cb750" right? I am more familiar with the single cam ones.

I have skipped filters a few times in my life because I couldn't find a filter. Kind of bugged me at the times it happened, but now that I read this thread.. Well it won't bother me the next time it happens.
Cb650sc, hydraulic lifters with auto lash, drive shaft driven beast

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Ive said it before and been flamed for it, but it's been my habit on most of my TDIs to change the filter every other oil change (which I stick close to the 10k mile interval). My reasoning doesn't have much to do with cost, it's minimal. I run DelVac 1 5w-40 which many/all that test have had great UOA even at 20k miles. I don't put many miles on my TDIs anymore since I don't work commute anymore and have a "winter" and non-salt Jettas and several other vehicles.
The filters I have dissected/inspected don't have anything in them, no signs of particles or clogging, even after "double" miles. The same filters run as long/longer in extended change intervals and in the cars that have the oil monitoring system. I haven't damaged one yet...

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I do drive more than 50,000 miles a year! I do an oil change every 8 to 9 weeks.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

I wouldn't call my air cooled motor bad, by any means. I hear Yanmar motors are reknowned for longevity. My complaint is that in its application, it's somewhat useless.

I do drive more than 50,000 miles a year! I do an oil change every 8 to 9 weeks.
I know the feeling. Even with COVID last year, I still managed to rack up around 55,000 miles all year.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I guess skipping oil filter changes saves a lot of money and gives a great deal of satisfaction.
The oil flows at maybe at a rate the exchanges the oil in about two minutes or less so there is a good bit of flow and the question would be what is the differential pressure at that flow?
Oil filters have bypass valves that open when some differential pressure is reached.
The resistance to flow is due to those small particles being trapped in the maze that makes up the fabric of the filter.
I have had an O ring blow out on one of the old Rabbit Diesels when cold due to the lack of a relief valve in the block and a poor design by Delco.
It doesn't take particles that you can see to fill the voids in the fabric. As a matter of fact as the smaller voids and the intricate maze of fibers are filled the filter becomes less able to trap some of those particles.
That being said in some cased (particularly in air filters where the trapped debris is usually fibrous) the filtering could be improved at cost of higher back pressure
That higher back pressure may well open the bypass valve even though the filter looks clean.
The soot that turns the oil black is almost the perfect thing to fill those voids, just saying.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
12 bucks for a new oil filter and you don't bother to change after changing the oil. So let the oil and filter both go for 20,000 miles, 30,000 km's.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
remind me never to EVER buy a car from any of you. Amazing how cheap you guys are.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I agree that $12 for an oil filter is not a big expenditure, so why skip. I went from being a cheap bastartd - however never skipping an oil/filter change - to buying the best oil money can buy. I did run Rotella from 2003 to 2020 which is a great quality oil for the price.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Oil filters for TDIs cost a lot less than $12. A good quality MKIV filter is $5.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I buy them bulk so I forget how much they are; I was reading a few replies up about $12 that's was the reason for my reply.