Oil Change , level Strange

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta 1.9 Diesel GLS , Five Speed Standard Shift
Well, I noticed this before but didnt think anything of it till now. the oil capacity is 4.9 quarts for the 1.9 TDI. I can check the oil and I keep the oil level in the higher range of the dip stick. Yet when I drain it and pour it back into the one gallon container it doesnt even fill it up ??? So today I poured 5 Quarts in and the oil level on the dip stick went up above the dog leg on the dip stick. What the hell is going on here ? Should I just run 5 quarts in there and disregard the dip stick reading and scribe a new mark on the dip stick for 5 quarts ?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You’re leaving some oil in it. Suck it out of the filter/ cooler housing. I’ve found some even comes out of tha pan after draining. Run it at the level on the dipstick

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
You’re leaving some oil in it. Suck it out of the filter/ cooler housing. I’ve found some even comes out of tha pan after draining. Run it at the level on the dipstick
You think 1.25 quarts stays in the engine ? Well I guess it could, seems like a lot though. I put 5 quarts in today accidently . Usually after 4, I add a little at a time. This time I went a little overboard.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
5 quarts will not hurt anything .............. been doing it for over 20 years!
The oil pump chain is spinning in the oil ....... the drain catch is above 5 quarts in the pan!

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
There was just an entire thread about this, I think it was Franko6 started it, there is quite a bit that stays in the filter housing and oil cooler, you can suck it out with a mityvac, oil extractor, or turkey baster.

Edit to add link:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
The oil pump chain is spinning in the oil ....... the drain catch is above 5 quarts in the pan!
Thanks. good to know.. I didnt wanna be screwing around with it it Sunday haha

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
There was just an entire thread about this, I think it was Franko6 started it, there is quite a bit that stays in the filter housing and oil cooler, you can suck it out with a mityvac, oil extractor, or turkey baster.

Edit to add link:
Thank you 1

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yes, Franko6 provided an excellent write-up about changing oil, sucking out the oil filter housing, etc. I do not disagree with anything he said or posted. I read his posts and observed the photos at the time they were coming-up. However, the oil filter housing doesn't really hold that much "left-over" oil to be concerned about compared to what's "left-over" throughout the engine. For those being anal about it, yes, to them it is an ocean of oil. If they only knew how much oil is "left-over" in the oil pan, hanging on the bottom of the Splash/Catch tray, in the galleys, on the crankshaft surface, engine block, on/in the head, inside the oil cooler, etc., they'd probably have a brain strain resulting in a stroke.

When I was installing the ALH TDI engine in my Vanagon, it hung there in the engine-bay with no oil pan on it for months .... like maybe 18-24 months. It hung there so long without an oil pan that it finally quit dripping oil. So, it is amazing how much "left-over" oil there is in an engine after you let it drain for only five minutes or even overnight. I've removed oil pans and was amazed at the amount of oil that was still inside after the drain plug had been out over-night.

Below is a pic of the Splash/Catch tray on an ALH engine. You can see the Dip Stick which was fully engaged. When the engine is running, the level drops considerably because the oil galleries are fully charged, there is oil up on top of the head at the Cam Shaft, everything is covered in oil, the piston oilers are spraying, and there is constantly a fog of oil in motion as well as draining back to the oil pan. And, keep in mind, the Crankshaft is above the Splash/Catch tray. ......... Oh, and that spinning oil pump chain is submerged in the oil ..

Take a look at the second, third, fourth, photos for more illustrations.

.......... So nothing to worry about with 5 quarts dumped in, assuming the oil filter was changed.

In the photo below, the engine is hanging in the Vanagon on a 50 degree angle.................................................... that's the tip of the dip stick
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................v down there!

In the photo below, you can see that the oil pan has been cut for modification to use on the 50 degree angle. The relative location of the oil pump cog is what the marked circle is referencing.

Below, you can see the relationship of the Splash/Catch tray to the oil pan.

Last edited:

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
[/QUOTE
Well, actually I think I put more then that in. So I got 3 ft of clear 1/4 hose or so and shoved it into the end of an lower unit hand pump for an outboard pushed the tube down the dip stick tube and pumped about 16 ozs out. Now the level is even with the dog leg on the dip stick. Before it was about 5/16" above the dog leg.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, my point is, being over-full per the dip stick is not going to damage the engine.

I had no clue how much oil to put in the ALH that I installed in the Vanagon with the customized oil pan because I did away with the OE dip stick port and did a custom dip stick set-up. So, I dumped in 5 quarts, started the engine then let it sit for about an hour. Then, I checked it with the new dip stick set-up. I marked the level on the stick as Full. That was 90k miles ago,,, no problems.........70 PSI cold oil pressure..... fully warmed up pressure is about 30 PSI.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my point is, being over-full per the dip stick is not going to damage the engine.

I had no clue how much oil to put in the ALH that I installed in the Vanagon with the customized oil pan because I did away with the OE dip stick port and did a custom dip stick set-up. So, I dumped in 5 quarts, started the engine then let it sit for about an hour. Then, I checked it with the new dip stick set-up. I marked the level on the stick as Full. That was 90k miles ago,,, no problems.........70 PSI cold oil pressure..... fully warmed up pressure is about 30 PSI.
I appreciate your time for a great answer and the photos . Thanks AndyBees!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Try draining from the plug next time- you might get more out that way.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, you'll never get those big sludgy chunks out with a breast pump!

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I use an vacuum extractor on all my cars. Unbelievers; try this simple experiment:

Use an oil extractor to suck out your oil.
After doing so and before adding oil, crawl under, remove your drain plug and see how much comes out.

I think you will be convinced. Of course, getting under once in a while to see what is going on under there is worth doing but not to drain oil.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
I use an vacuum extractor on all my cars. Unbelievers; try this simple experiment:

Use an oil extractor to suck out your oil.
After doing so and before adding oil, crawl under, remove your drain plug and see how much comes out.

I think you will be convinced. Of course, getting under once in a while to see what is going on under there is worth doing but not to drain oil.
I like your thinking there RR. My Jetta is only 6" clearance underneath maybe. I have to turn the wheels all the way to the right . Slither up there on my back as close as I can and with my left arm almost fully extended reach in there with a socket and with my right arm reaching over the top of my left arm hold the socket tight to the drain plug and turn and hopefully dont poop myself! Now Ive never seen one of these contraptions, you have a brand name or recommendation? When I changed the oil this Saturday it was raining and about 40 degrees out the wind was blowing out of the North about 30-40 mph and Im outside slithering around on the ground changing my oil. I have to change my own oil because the population down here is to Inbred to accomplish basic mechanical functions. I posted a thread recently where Walfart changed my oil and put the oil filter in upside down! South Texas , Third World Living at its Finest

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then, there is that Jetta with almost 500k miles on it that most likely 90% of the oil changes (and hopefully filters) were done at Walmart and maybe they used the wrong spec oil. It still starts fine, runs fine and gets super good MPGs .......... will it go another 100k or maybe 200k miles? Hmm .. Don't know! Point is, that left-over oil was lubing the engine when it was shut-down for the oil change! That oil was just fine. The fresh oil will dilute it about 5-to-0.5 and a fresh filter will do it's job. .......... but, peace of mind will about always prevail.

Below are a couple of photos of the oil pan on my formerly owned 2000 Jetta (son owns it now) with almost 390k miles on it. Still using the OE oil drain plug and "crush" washer .......... no leaks. (It still knocks out 49-51 MPGs tank after tank.

Below, is a shot at the back of the engine at the transmission end ....... no leaks.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like your thinking there RR. My Jetta is only 6" clearance underneath maybe. I have to turn the wheels all the way to the right . Slither up there on my back as close as I can and with my left arm almost fully extended reach in there with a socket and with my right arm reaching over the top of my left arm hold the socket tight to the drain plug and turn and hopefully dont poop myself! Now Ive never seen one of these contraptions, you have a brand name or recommendation? When I changed the oil this Saturday it was raining and about 40 degrees out the wind was blowing out of the North about 30-40 mph and Im outside slithering around on the ground changing my oil. I have to change my own oil because the population down here is to Inbred to accomplish basic mechanical functions. I posted a thread recently where Walfart changed my oil and put the oil filter in upside down! South Texas , Third World Living at its Finest
Ok, so you did drain from the plug. Somehow I thought you sucked it out. Good god, get yourself some ramps. I wouldn't even attempt to do an oil change on my Golf with the tires on the ground. My F250, no problem. Just be sure to set the parking brake, put in gear, and chock the back wheels when it's up on the ramps.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
John Wesley Hardin, you can make a vacuum set-up to extract oil or just about anything else you'd like to extract from a vehicle.

I have one that I used for years to suck out the coolant when doing a TB job. I could use it to do oil changes. But, I have a heated/air conditioned garage with about anything I need to do the job. I don't mind jacking up the car for an oil change, With the car perfectly level and on jack stands in front, the oil pan will just about be dry when left sitting overnight (notice the one photo I previously posted) I've proved it when dropping oil pans on other vehicles. I do suck out the puddles in the oil filter housing. There's virtually nothing you can do about the oil in the oil cooler and in the oil galleys as well as all the oil clinging to everything inside the engine.

Back to the vacuum devices. I recently picked up a vacuum pump at a yard sale for cheap. Using some hoses, fittings, glass jar (or old garden sprayer tank), etc., you can make one fairly easy. An old worn-out but still functional Air Conditioning service vacuum pump will work fine too. Before I got the pump at the yard sale, I was using a diaphragm pump from an old exhaust analyzer. I like to improvise ...... has served me well.

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so you did drain from the plug. Somehow I thought you sucked it out. Good god, get yourself some ramps. I wouldn't even attempt to do an oil change on my Golf with the tires on the ground. My F250, no problem. Just be sure to set the parking brake, put in gear, and chock the back wheels when it's up on the ramps.
I have ape like appendages ,so I can reach the drain plug with the car level on the ground. I just put to much oil in . So I sucked some out through the dip stick tube with a lower unit hand pump for a boat motor

John Wesley Hardin

Veteran Member
TDI
John Wesley Hardin, you can make a vacuum set-up to extract oil or just about anything else you'd like to extract from a vehicle.

I have one that I used for years to suck out the coolant when doing a TB job. I could use it to do oil changes. But, I have a heated/air conditioned garage with about anything I need to do the job. I don't mind jacking up the car for an oil change, With the car perfectly level and on jack stands in front, the oil pan will just about be dry when left sitting overnight (notice the one photo I previously posted) I've proved it when dropping oil pans on other vehicles. I do suck out the puddles in the oil filter housing. There's virtually nothing you can do about the oil in the oil cooler and in the oil galleys as well as all the oil clinging to everything inside the engine.

Back to the vacuum devices. I recently picked up a vacuum pump at a yard sale for cheap. Using some hoses, fittings, glass jar (or old garden sprayer tank), etc., you can make one fairly easy. An old worn-out but still functional Air Conditioning service vacuum pump will work fine too. Before I got the pump at the yard sale, I was using a diaphragm pump from an old exhaust analyzer. I like to improvise ...... has served me well.
Thats what Im thinking electric power vacuum pump yep thanks I'll find something that will work. i dont want to hand pump it out. I was stuffing a rag down in the oil filter housing , a vacuum would be much better

BeauDaugherty

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Sport SUV 5dr Diesel
Have you checked if your dipstick is showing the right oil level?
Sometimes, the dipstick might not give the correct reading. But,
changing the dipstick should only be done if absolutely necessary. The
marks made by the manufacturer on the dipstick help your engine run the
best way it can with the right amount of oil.