Oh crap... broke off a bolt

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
I overtorqued a bolt while replacing the dogbone transmission mount and it broke off... any suggestions of how to get it out? it was the smaller 16mm bolt on the front of the mount.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Shouldn't be tight anyway as it doesn't bottom out, might get it with a screwdriver or some sort of bit in a drill in reverse.
If nothing else drill a small hole and tap in a torx or spline bit

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
This one attaches to the aluminum housing, right?
You might be able to grind a slot in it and use an impact driver.
Otherwise, drill and easy-out.:(
Darn it, Seat, you beat me!

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
i guess we make a trip to get an easy out tomorrow. :-(

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the help Seatman and Flee

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
take the mount off and pull the bolt out with some pliers, it should come out easy. easy-outs suck

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
it broke when i was putting it back on. bolt is stuck in the housing. no way to pull it out with pliers

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
oh, if the bolt is broken off inside the hole - out of reach of pliers, and its a fresh bolt, it should still come out easy. you could always try drilling a small hole in it, then take the next 1/32 size up drill and tap it in, and gently drill in reverse. or any other pick, etc you may have around and turn it backwards...

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
i'm hoping it will. i lubricated the bolt before i put it back in. I have a hearing loss, and was torquing it down in my driveway along a busy street. didn't hear it click... snapped right off.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
fwiw, you generally don't want to lube up bolts like that. makes them easier to over-torque. best to just brush the threads off with a wire brush and put them in dry, or perhaps a dab of medium thread locker if you want

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for that... will put the next in dry.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
got it out with the ez out. new mount on! thanks for the advice, fellas!

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Both bolt holes where the dogbone attaches to the frame were broken. Got one bolt out, the other snapped at the head. Of course the flange holes were threaded. Out comes the carbide grinder, ground it off enough to get it off. Next, weld a nut on the busted bolt and torque it out. Thank Gawd I have a pretty well equipped shop. Just ordered a new dogbone. Wish I had of known it was toast, put in an order the other day for new LCA and sway bar bushings.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Both bolt holes where the dogbone attaches to the frame were broken. Got one bolt out, the other snapped at the head. Of course the flange holes were threaded. Out comes the carbide grinder, ground it off enough to get it off. Next, weld a nut on the busted bolt and torque it out. Thank Gawd I have a pretty well equipped shop. Just ordered a new dogbone. Wish I had of known it was toast, put in an order the other day for new LCA and sway bar bushings.
This is very common with the dogbone, since it does not hurt to replace this mount you can just smash the aluminum portion of the dog mount bolt with a hammer, pull the mount away from the bolt(s) that are still in the frame and then use a pipe wrench or vice grips to remove the remaining bolt.. it happens a lot, and a mount is not expensive.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Always use reverse drill bits as they can catch and back the screw out.
I believe you can find them at sears. Otherwise if you can wait order online.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Both bolt hole mounts were broken. It's easier for me to use a carbide grinder than mess around with a hammer. Ditto on welding a nut on, which generally loosens a broken bolt anyway, which it did in this case, and it backed right off. I have yet to see a bolt not loosen easier after a nut has been welded on it.

This is very common with the dogbone, since it does not hurt to replace this mount you can just smash the aluminum portion of the dog mount bolt with a hammer, pull the mount away from the bolt(s) that are still in the frame and then use a pipe wrench or vice grips to remove the remaining bolt.. it happens a lot, and a mount is not expensive.