OBD Test to Replace Tail Pipe Emissions test in Ontario, Jan. 2013

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I took my gf's stock 2000 golf tdi to Crappy Tire newmarket, they are doing the new testing already. Passed no prob o_O. hehe

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If some of the systems are disabled and don't show up duringnthe ECU's readyness test, will that show up duringnthe e-test? Will the drive clean scanner notice the missing/disabled/deactivated portions ofnthe ECU's program?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
If some of the systems are disabled and don't show up duringnthe ECU's readyness test, will that show up duringnthe e-test? Will the drive clean scanner notice the missing/disabled/deactivated portions ofnthe ECU's program?
I'm no expert but my guess that as long as there is something there that says "ready" it will pass. My guess is that if it is not there they will not know it is not there because they don't have a database of information on every single car and they are just relying on the computer in the specific car to tell them what is there and if it passed. You know what I am saying?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, I understand what you are saying. My car is stock so I'm not worried but if it wasn't I would have called and found out first hand. There is a lot of speculation here.

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I'm no expert but my guess that as long as there is something there that says "ready" it will pass. My guess is that if it is not there they will not know it is not there because they don't have a database of information on every single car and they are just relying on the computer in the specific car to tell them what is there and if it passed. You know what I am saying?

I wonder though, How advanced is California s Laws on Emissions? I heard they have it bad there. Are they using the same system? or the same Idea?

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
So in the name of science, I got my car tested today. I went to an independant shop in a small town, and they were already doing the OBD-II scans instead of the visual test.

I have my EGR unit completely removed, as well as a fairly aggressive tune (with egr delete), and my car still passed even with the EGR System line reading "Not Ready". Looks like most people won't have any problems passing.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have my EGR unit completely removed, as well as a fairly aggressive tune (with egr delete), and my car still passed even with the EGR System line reading "Not Ready".
Who is your tuner? Most EGR delete tunes report "Ready".

I'm so confused! I thought a Not Ready is an automatic fail?
1998-2000 model-year vehicles are permitted two monitors to be “not ready,” and 2001 and newer models are allowed one monitor “not ready,” and still pass - but MIL on is an automatic fail.

Simon

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I think we are allowed 1 not ready, and older cars are allowed 2

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
D'oh I got mil cause my tune is set to auto mode but no auto module seen

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Sweet!!! Thanks for sharing that Silver316. I have a kit I have not installed yet because I was concerned about this... :) :)

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Well it appears that the concensus is that the new OBDII testing will not be problematic for most of us, with or without a tune.
I recently purchased VCDS so I performed the readiness test today and it looks like I am good as well...

TDTuning Tune with EGR Delete. :D

Saturday,22,December,2012,17:04:39:17345
VCDS Release 11.11.4: Generic OBD2
Mode 01 - PID 01 : Readiness -- Address 0A
Number of DTCs stored: 0 -- MIL Status: MIL OFF
Misfire monitoring: Passed
Fuel System: Passed
Comprehensive Components: Passed
Catalyst monitoring: Not installed.
Heated catalyst monitoring: Not installed.
Evaporative system monitoring: Not installed.
Secondary air system monitoring: Not installed.
A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor heater monitoring: Not installed.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed

:cool:

bangoman

TDI
Former 2.0 TDI owner
Just bumping this thread some information I heard on the grapevine about etesting gas to TDI swaps. I've heard that, even though the ownership may show a diesel conversion, the new etesting process involves scanning the barcode on the B-pillar and then the machine performs the test on the basis of that.

So of course the car undergoes the gas etest via the ODB2 port and fails. Even though it would have passed the diesel etest (i.e. no readiness fails) with flying colours. Previously you just told the tester it was diesel and the test would be performed as such.

Drive Clean have said they have had a few calls about this matter this and have opened up case files. No clue as to what the outcome will be.

I don't enough about the process but wondered if anyone has actually run into this issue since the turn of the year?

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
test is a **ckin joke ...... $35 goes into the Ont Gov. "boondoggle fund" - adds up to millions of $$ of our money being wasted ....... BC has already canceled its BS program. Its not just the money its time and effort to do the test etc etc ..... Shameful waste of money !!

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Just bumping this thread some information I heard on the grapevine about etesting gas to TDI swaps. I've heard that, even though the ownership may show a diesel conversion, the new etesting process involves scanning the barcode on the B-pillar and then the machine performs the test on the basis of that.

So of course the car undergoes the gas etest via the ODB2 port and fails. Even though it would have passed the diesel etest (i.e. no readiness fails) with flying colours. Previously you just told the tester it was diesel and the test would be performed as such.

Drive Clean have said they have had a few calls about this matter this and have opened up case files. No clue as to what the outcome will be.

I don't enough about the process but wondered if anyone has actually run into this issue since the turn of the year?
I know someone who has been omitted from the new 2013 test.The car is a vw syncro with an AHU TDI swap.He had to call some number and then didn't even have to pay a test fee !!

They only called him back to say " go and get your plate sticker,Its been taken care of "

The car has no cat,egr delete,upgrades etc... yet get out of this new test :confused: .I have heard of others having no issues with diesel swaps before 2013. I guess they just can't be bothered to make a test for engine swapped vehicles ??

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
The funny part about this new test is that cars that actually pollute more will pass easier. I could easily turn up the tuning so my car smokes like a freight train, and it would still pass the OBD-II scan, where as before it may not have passed the visual test. What a joke.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
We have to take into account that only 2% of passenger vehicles sold are diesel. So for the remaining 98% of the vehicles on the road, this test should help reduce emissions. Cars have emission controls in place. If they are not working, they need to be fixed. Is it perfect.....no. But a lot better than nothing.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But it's kot better than the dyno test. At least there, what came out of the tail pipe made the difference. Not talking about diesels but the other 98%. Now it will be a systems check and if people decide to bypass some parts and fool the equipment, the car can pollute more than when it haf a sniffr test. BC got rid of it because 10% of the population actually went and voted it off. I'm pretty sure we could do it too but to get that many people to care is pretty much impossible.

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
Just had my new Golf done last week . The Drive In facility in Ajax is closed for January to do the Equipment change over so I got it done locally .

I went to High School , and actually had Auto Shop with the guy that runs the local shop .
Was chatting with and he said he hasn't seen a car pass yet that Has the CEL light on .

I had resolved the turbo issue i was having 2 nights before that was giving a CEL of course so got a little worried.
They have a brochure up on the site now explaining a drive cycle.

What if my vehicle failed
because it was not ready?
The Drive Clean test reads information from the
built-in computer in all 1998 and newer vehicles.
If your vehicle was recently repaired, or if the
battery was disconnected, the information in the
computer might not be readable, and your vehicle
will fail the test. As a result, you’ll have to re-take
the test.
A day or two of combined city and highway driving
should reset your vehicle’s computer.
You can also take your vehicle through a generic
drive cycle*. See below:

Step 1: Make sure the vehicle has been parked
for eight hours without a start.

Step 2: Start the engine and let it idle in Drive
for two-and-a-half minutes with the Air
Conditioning (A/C) and rear defroster on.

Step 3: Turn the A/C and rear defroster off.
Drive the vehicle for 10 minutes at
highway speeds.

Step 4: Drive the vehicle for 20 minutes
in stop-and-go traffic.

Step 5: Your drive cycle is complete. You can
now go in for your test.

*Note: Some vehicles may require different steps to reset
the computer. Talk to your Drive Clean facility staff
about the best way to get your vehicle ready.
Be aware: A vehicle is “not ready” when it doesn’t
have the information needed for the test. Once you
get your vehicle ready with the information needed,
your vehicle still needs to pass the re-test by
meeting emissions standards.

So does a "Not Ready" status mean you still have to pay?
Like the normal Joe Blow is going to understand this?

Any way it passed with no problem , and the print out doesn't give very much information at all .

M

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
........So does a "Not Ready" status mean you still have to pay?
M

I'm 99.9% sure you still have to pay. The shops are not going to do the test for free. If it fails, you have up to 120 days to get it re-tested up to 2 more times at a "reduced rate", whatever that is.

You can also get a conditional pass if you spend $450 to attempt to get it to pass. This is only for plate renewal. If you are transfering an ownership, no conditional pass, it must pass on its own.

Details can be found here:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcon...sources/documents/resource/stdprod_101983.pdf

Last edited:

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
anyone know if they check for exhaust system components (muffler/cat)/egr components to be installed?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Muffler is not part of the emission system so it doean't matter if you have it or not.