Noisy VE Injector Pump

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Car is an 03 NB, 5 Speed with 70k on the odometer. Car runs fine has and has normal power. The engine is basically stock from a performance standpoint. Today my wife noticed a noise coming from the engine bay. Got to checking and it appears to be coming from the IP. If the engine sits for about 3 minutes, it take about 30 seconds for the noise to start when the engine is cranked up. This is very repeatable. The noise almost sounds like the pump is getting air as it is not a steady sound and will completely go away for a fraction of a second at random times. It really does not sound like a bearing and is definately not in the serpentine belt path. I have also replaced and ruled out the top TB Idler pulley, as it is very close to the noise and the TB is due in about 10K miles. I found a thread that JSRMonster had replied to concerning the case pressure relief valve and checked that. It had walked out a very small amount and I reseated it and no change to the noise.

The fuel filter has less than 8K miles on it, so I don't think it should be the problem. Fuel used has been strictly D2, not that I have anything against BioD, other than its price tag in my area. Back to the noise, it sounds very much like I would imagine a pump sounding if it were getting and trying to compress air, yet the engine runs flawless at idle and under power. Obviously there are no engine codes set and timing is dead on.

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?

Thanks,
TW

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While not super common, there have been a few VE pumps that have some internals fail and they need to be rebuilt. While I would think yours seems a youngling still, anything is possible.

I send all mine to Diesel Fuel Injection Service in Oregon. They do great work.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
There is a guy down in San Antonio that keeps on buying wet fuel and had gone through several pumps. This guy is a hard core road-tripper and put ~70K on his car in one year. Nothing but #2 from all over the country. have you checked the filter for water?

Last edited:

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, clean as a whistle, no water. I also have an 02 Jetta TDI that I put 600 miles a week on and we buy fuel at the same station for both vehicals and the Jetta does not have this problem.

But thanks for the idea and the input. I'll file that away for future reference.

Thanks,
TW

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
My IP made a 'wheedling' noise just before I pulled it and replaced it. A cloud plot of timing using Vag-com was pretty spread out. Borrow a copy of Vag-com if you don't have it and look at the timing graph. Do a cloud plot. It should be a tight grouping for a good IP.

Listen to the IP with a screwdriver to your ear also.

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
nicklockard said:
My IP made a 'wheedling' noise just before I pulled it and replaced it. A cloud plot of timing using Vag-com was pretty spread out. Borrow a copy of Vag-com if you don't have it and look at the timing graph. Do a cloud plot. It should be a tight grouping for a good IP.

Listen to the IP with a screwdriver to your ear also.
I'll do the cloud plot. Also, I have done the screwdriver trick and the noise is definately coming from the IP and it is louder at the geared pulley end of the pump.

Thanks,
TW

SilverTDI

Exact same problem

I have the same thing just as you describe it on my 2001. I used the screwdrier test next to the beating of the IP and it is loudest there. It comes and goes at idle. Has anyone else had this happen and pulled the pump. Can anyone chime in who has gone thru this. If i need to pull the pump for a rebulid I will but I don;t want to do un-needed work. If anything my MPG has gone down to the high 30's too.

Thanks

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
TurbineWhine said:
I have done the screwdriver trick and the noise is definately coming from the IP and it is louder at the geared pulley end of the pump.
Thanks, TW
__. Sounds like pump issues but is there air visible in the transparent fuel line?

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the idea. I'll check that but I will have to put a piece of clear line in as this is an 03 NB and it does not have a clear line. Easy enough to check though.

TW