No low beams/DRLs, High beams fine.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
2005 Jetta Wagon, w/E-codes and Euro-switch.
I checked both the left and right low beam fuses (# 20 & 21) but they weren't blown. Would a bad Relay #7 for the DRLs cause this? Lights worked fine yesterday.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
OEM wiring? Retrofit with harness?
Is the Euro switch a cheapo one? Maybe the switch is bad?

Pretty sure the DRL is a separate circuit since you can remove the pin in the switch if you don't want to run DRL s.

Might be time to get out the multimeter, this stuff is hard to interwebz diagnose.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, OEM wiring, EuroSwitch from Europe (though it is 8 years old). Power comes in on switch pin 1; out to DRLs on pin 3 (switch off), out to dimmer switch on pin 4, & out to low beam fuses on pin 7. So I'll have to check to see if power is coming in to pin 1 first.

If it IS the Euroswitch, where is the best source of a genuine VW Euroswitch?

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Did you try replacing the passenger side bulb (the easy one to replace), and see if the low beams went out for some reason (weird power surge while driving, sunspots, death beam, Russian interference, etc)? Brights will still work, but lows and DRL will not if low beams are blown

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both sides are out. After the fuses (right is #20, left is #21) each side has a separate line so replacing only the right bulb would not tell me anything. I'll first check switch pin 1 to see of power is getting to the light switch from the ignition switch.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure it would. When a low beam goes out on either bulb, the DRL on that side will not work, but the high beam will still work. Maybe BOTH low beams (one in each bulb, left and right) went out. Replacing either bulb would tell you if the low beam on that side went out. MAYBE both bulbs' low beams went out (coincidence? yes. Possible? Maybe)

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I was thinking the same thing. While unlikely, there was another forum post recently where both bulbs failed at the same time.

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I recently had all four bulbs blow at the same time. (Alternator is the likely suspect, but unsure why: voltage is good...)
Spent a frustrating period of time troubleshooting until I thought to use a multimeter and test continuity on a bulb. All four were popped.
Replaced and everything works.

To the OP: Check the bulbs. While unlikely, it is VERY possible for more than one to blow at a time.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
They both have the same run time, and wear out at the same rate. One hard bump on the road can send them both to the big low-beam factory in the sky at the same time. :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The other thing that happens to us city dwellers is one goes out, we don't notice, then the other goes out.
Guessing OP already checked for bad bulbs and is discouraged from us continuing to ask.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
I would start by removing the steering wheel, then the grill, the fan relay control modules, the N75, followed by the starter. Or replace the passenger side bulb and see if it fixes that side. If it does, do the driver's side bulb.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I would start by removing the steering wheel, then the grill, the fan relay control modules, the N75, followed by the starter. Or replace the passenger side bulb and see if it fixes that side. If it does, do the driver's side bulb.
And what if THAT doesn't work?