New Yellow labels for Passat TDIs?

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Just got mine today. I put them on, the dealer would probably do it themselves when I take it in for its next service!

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Is this for the '12 versions only, or will all of us get the opportunity to add these to our diesels?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Is this for the '12 versions only, or will all of us get the opportunity to add these to our diesels?
I think it only applies to the CR engines. So, no you won't get them unless your good at sweet talking your local VW service.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I like this sticker idea, since in some states it is illegal to pump your own diesel or gas in your car during fill up. Like New Jersey for example. Would you trust to pump correct fuel from a teenager who is there for a summer? I had experienced in the past in NJ when I say premium for my past impala and they fill up regular unleded. Because some people do not listen, so stickers is an extra protection. Hope they can read.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Got mine today. I didn't put the ring on the filler cap since hanging it on the door knocks it off, but did put one of the yellow stickers on.

My car didn't have one of the green warning labels, just the silver one on the door itself.

-J

Last edited:

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
People on here are TDI enthusiasts. We probably wouldnt fill it with gas by mistake, but when VW is marketing to the general population in a country where there are few diesel cars, a little protection to avoid gas fillups dosent seem that bad. When I got my JSW a friend asked "they make diesel cars?" It is those they are trying to remind. :)

It must be cheaper for them to make the stickers rather than fix the ones coming back with gas in them.. Yikes.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
The auto industry has been, for some time now, trying to make cars more and more idiot-proof, because they percieve the average American doesn't want to bother with learning how a car works, but rather make it easy to use and have a lot of creature comforts. The do-it-yourself maintenance sections in the user manuals have been replaced with legal pages that say if you work on your own car the manufacturer isn't liable for what you break. Take away owner control and try to put preventative measures in place to keep you from breaking the vehicle.

In some respects, I can't blame the manufacturer, because they are just looking at the math and science scores in the US continue to drop. Americans are getting dumber, and those of us who care about how a vehicle works suffer the consequences of the dumb and dumber.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
My Passat is my first new car, first Diesel and my first VW to boot.
Every single time I fuel it up I quadruple check that I dont have the petrol pump in my hand, then I freak out when I start pumping the Diesel - worrying that its NOT diesel or that I somehow forgot what car I was in and now my Accord has Diesel in it.

The bottom line? People are absent minded, creatures of habit and stupid. I love the comment about automatic transmissions! it's completely true! There is a disconnect there with people who drive an auto....they start to not care.

having said all that.... the stickers will stay OFF my car thank you. My wife is smart enough to know which nozzle to use....

fenderod

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
My wife and I had a good chuckle over the reference in the letter to friends and family. She said facetiously "so, those stickers were aimed at me, I guess?" She's from France and pursuaded me to get the TDI over the V6 (she wanted 6MT but I convinced her my commute warranted DSG), so she's the one person I do trust with refueling. I put the stickers and the collar on anyway, since I figured they'd magically appear there after my 10k dealer service(at 4k right now)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife grew up on a farm. Probably started smelling diesel fumes about the same time she started sleeping through the night. Both daughters started driving on diesel cars. I'm not worried aobut anyone in my immediate family but there are the not quite in-laws that may have to refuel one of my babies. It is for them that I will put the stickers on.

washbob

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I was in for my 90 courtesy check today and the service writer made a big deal out of explaining the yellow stickers that his technician had installed. I told him that was funny as I had just received the stickers two days ago and installed them myself as instructed. I asked him how much the technician charged VW to install stickers that he did not install and all I got was a blank look from the service writer. I also noticed on my paperwork that the stickers were coded as recall work.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Today I was looking at a 2013 SEL that the dealer just got in. I noticed that it didn't have the yellow stickers. It will be interesting to see if they get "installed" during the pre-delivery process. I guess I will find out on Friday :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Today I was looking at a 2013 SEL that the dealer just got in. I noticed that it didn't have the yellow stickers. It will be interesting to see if they get "installed" during the pre-delivery process. I guess I will find out on Friday :)
Congrats on the purchase. :cool:

dachman1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDi
VW mailed me a set too.
Oh interesting. Does it look like they're automatically mailing them to everyone as opposed to requiring the dealer to do it? I haven't checked the mail in a couple days. Maybe I should tonight.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just came back from the dealer. The service writer told me that the stickers are assigned on a priority basis. They installed them on my JSW but did not have a set for me to put on the Golf. The sticker around the filler neck is adhered to the plastic body piece, not the filler cap.

Surprising to see that most saying they have gotten them in the mail are driving new passats.

dachman1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDi
Yep, mine showed up today. Guess that's that.

Odd thing is it was addressed to my wife. She's only on the title. She's never been listed on any documents that VW had during the purchase. And the last mailing we got from VW about the RNS-510 update was addressed to me. Odd.... someone’s got a database issue I suspect.

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
Actually the friends and family reason makes sense. Not sure why some on here are making a big deal over this, if you don't want to use them throw them in the trash.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I think Vw realizes that the jetta, JSW and Golf already got a bad rap, and they sure as heck want to put the kabosh on it happening again to their Flagship model Passat CR diesel. They flat out can NOT afford to start having HPFP failures due to misfueling starting to happen on their 2nd generation CR diesel with lower fuel pressure and Solenoid injectors.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Yep, mine showed up today. Guess that's that.

Odd thing is it was addressed to my wife. She's only on the title. She's never been listed on any documents that VW had during the purchase. And the last mailing we got from VW about the RNS-510 update was addressed to me. Odd.... someone’s got a database issue I suspect.
So, it wasn't just a fluke. Someone at VW is trying to say something about who is responsible for misfueling...

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So, it wasn't just a fluke. Someone at VW is trying to say something about who is responsible for misfueling...

Doubt it. I bet they used state DMV records. I'd bet your wives are listed first in the records at the DMV. Could be something as simple as alphabetical order of the first names of dual ownership records. Mine came addressed to me, J instead of wife K. ;)