New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A poorly engineered bypass filter setup will reduce oil pressure & flow and be quite counterproductive. I do like the idea of conserving resources (oil), and improving filtration, but there really isn't that much of a benefit when the sump capacity is so small. The rest of the car will be reduced to iron oxide flakes long before the factory filtration ever becomes an issue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=312315

Last edited:

Maverickmod

TDI
'12 VW Jetta Sportwagen
A poorly engineered bypass filter setup will reduce oil pressure & flow and be quite counterproductive. I do like the idea of conserving resources (oil), and improving filtration, but there really isn't that much of a benefit when the sump capacity is so small. The rest of the car will be reduced to iron oxide flakes long before the factory filtration ever becomes an issue.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=312315
I see your response for voiding warranties and raise you this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3gt0-5Epjind8fRRBOSv2S

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I doubt Amsoil will warranty a homebrew bypass filter kit that got cobbled together. That's for their own product. Go for it, I just don't see the need.

ElChikilin310

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI AHU
Mk3 TDI Mods advice

I need advise and suggestions for modifications legal or illegal for 98 Jetta TDI
1.9L 1Z And 5-Soeed AMC Trans ????

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Thorshammer

TDI
2004 TDI Wagon
Hello, New to TDi community

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, but have some VW Group experience at the manufacturer level. Have a long commute these days, and bought a MKIV Wagon manual. Enjoying the car, put a decent amount of work into it, and trying to get up to speed on what is the right way to drive one..LOL

Great forum, hope there are few wankers...:D

Thor

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hello Everyone, I'm new here, but have some VW Group experience at the manufacturer level. Have a long commute these days, and bought a MKIV Wagon manual. Enjoying the car, put a decent amount of work into it, and trying to get up to speed on what is the right way to drive one..LOL
Great forum, hope there are few wankers...:DThor
Welcome aboard!
You likely already know this if you've been buying parts and fixing it up, but IDParts is close to you, along Rt3, south of Braintree. As for driving it- exercise the turbo once a week! I'm no longer in Mass, but there are a lot of TDI folks in NE.

PwrSlave

TDI
Jetta
Hello,

Another new guy here. I have a 2010 Jetta that has been great for the commuting I do. Recent clutch / SMF conversion and the resulting rollover noise in neutral is brutal. I’m considering going back to a DMF soon so I’ll be looking for input and experiences with different setups.

hallwd94

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagon
Well hello, another new TDI owner. Traded a 2016 Prius with 50k miles on her for a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen on Valentine's day with just over 54k miles on her. Needs new rear rotors and has an intermittent hesitation to rev around 1800 RPMs occasionally when not warming up long enough before driving, not worried one bit after driving 1500mi in 2 1/2 weeks. Happy to be in the diesel family now. Never been so happy with a car before.

tdi2011

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen (Moonroof, Navigation, 17'' rims)
Hello!

Just purchased 2011 Jetta Sportwagen DSG with sunroof, navigation and premium rims.
Car drives great for except the MPG is below what it should be.

After I filled up a full tank I drove 60 miles ~ 100km and filled up a tank again to see how much diesel my car has used to drive the distance. I got 2.22 gallons which equals ~ 28MPG. 90/10 Highway(60-65MPH)/City. When I drive in the city my fuel tank needle melts pretty fast. Stall idle around 850-900 RPM. Full tank range is 420 miles just like my previous MKV GTI

Will call a service sigh...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After I filled up a full tank I drove 60 miles ~ 100km and filled up a tank again to see how much diesel my car has used to drive the distance. I got 2.22 gallons which equals ~ 28MPG. 90/10 Highway(60-65MPH)/City. When I drive in the city my fuel tank needle melts pretty fast. Stall idle around 850-900 RPM. Full tank range is 420 miles just like my previous MKV GTI. Will call a service sigh...
Welcome aboard!

I went 10,000 miles in my MkIV before I really started thinking I knew what my fuel economy numbers looked like. In other words, 60 miles tells you almost nothing. Simply the process of "filling" the tank can throw the numbers off over such a short distance. It's winter, it's been cold in Bawlmer, you are using winter fuel, and driving in the city with a DSG. I'd get, at an absolute minimum, accurate FE numbers over a few thousand miles. Those numbers will then change as it warms and non-winterized fuel comes back. Not sure if your car stalls at 850-900 RPM, but check your tire pressure (raise it), make sure your brakes aren't dragging, make sure your fluids and filters are good, and then evaluate your FE over time. Miles per tank is fun, but again, leaves a lot of variables that aren't necessarily helpful. If your "premium" wheels are aftermarket, heavy, or use performance tires, those "non premium" wheels with FE tires may significantly help.

Williamkevin

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
New to VW 1 year ago TDI

I decided to buy a 2015 Passat TDI last year. The deal was right and I love the car. Started thinking about upgrading the suspension for it is the only downside I can see so far. Started looking around and found this site. Hopefully I can find the right setup from the people on here! Roads in Alberta are not the best!

jcm1990

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
New to the forum and looking to buy my first TDI later this week. This has been one of the most useful sources of information on these vehicles that i have found and the members here seem great. Looking forward to years of TDI fun.

Driftmanager

TDI
Mk4
Oil problem

Hi
I have a golf 4 TDI 2002 AHF model.
I've had this car for over 10 years now and I wouldn't change it for anything els. I have always fixed it myself and learn as I go.
I now have a new problem, it started with noise in the engine which goes away when the engine in revved noise goes away at about 2000rpm when the turbo kicks in. I checked everything timing pulleys oxilary belt pulleys turbo... Found no fault. When I started the engine again, luckily without the top cover, I found piston no 3 first Valve, unsure if it's intake or exhaust valve, is spewing out oil every where. So now I got n massive cleanup job aswell. The lobe remains black covered in oil unlike the others which remain clean. So to get to the point how serious is this problem? The car stil has power no smoke only the noise under 2000rpm. I tried hours to google this problem but I only get results for top gasket leaks and crap AHU engines so no lucky with that. I have used this forum for allot of advice in the past and hope I could get some explanation for this problem.
I am hopping it's only valve stem seal, then the question is can it be removed without removing the whole head. Ore are we talkin piston rings... Bent valve stem...? Unfortunately I don't have the tool to do a compression test.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Driftmanager

TDI
Mk4
Valve trouble

Anyway...
I found the valve top is damaged and doesn't lift up seems it got stuck and got over compressed from the lobe so I assume valve stem got damaged.
As I couldn't find any info on this problem I wil continue and solve the problem.

tdi2011

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen (Moonroof, Navigation, 17'' rims)
Welcome aboard!
I went 10,000 miles in my MkIV before I really started thinking I knew what my fuel economy numbers looked like. In other words, 60 miles tells you almost nothing. Simply the process of "filling" the tank can throw the numbers off over such a short distance. It's winter, it's been cold in Bawlmer, you are using winter fuel, and driving in the city with a DSG. I'd get, at an absolute minimum, accurate FE numbers over a few thousand miles. Those numbers will then change as it warms and non-winterized fuel comes back. Not sure if your car stalls at 850-900 RPM, but check your tire pressure (raise it), make sure your brakes aren't dragging, make sure your fluids and filters are good, and then evaluate your FE over time. Miles per tank is fun, but again, leaves a lot of variables that aren't necessarily helpful. If your "premium" wheels are aftermarket, heavy, or use performance tires, those "non premium" wheels with FE tires may significantly help.
Thank you for your tips and welcoming me here.
Another question, what station do you prefer to use for diesel, how do you like Sam's club/Costco diesel? :)

Volkswag

TDI
2015 Jetta tdi sel
New here.

Hello I im new to the TDIClub forum. I just bought a 15 jetta tdi from the dealer, it was a trade in when diesel gate happened. It was a great upgrade from my jeep. going from 10 mpg to 40 was a major improvement. Im looking to do a def & egr delete in the near future.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for your tips and welcoming me here.
Another question, what station do you prefer to use for diesel, how do you like Sam's club/Costco diesel? :)
From coast to coast, I have my favorites, but in Maryland I tend to prefer Shell. I often avoid buying fuel in Baltimore City, since I'm often up and down 97 or Rt2, and there are many competitively priced and quality stations that have better turn-over than in the city.

A decent rule to follow is to prioritize stations that go through a lot of diesel, which reduces the chances of getting fuel that sits for a long time. Personally, with some exceptions, I've found that many stations are selling the same product, often without their own additive package. Diesel tends to differ a bit from gasoline, where (with gas) there is greater variety in quality, source, options, packages, and final product.

In central Massachusetts, we used Sam's Club diesel partially because the price was so good, and mostly because they had contracted with numerous local fleets, and they had new pumps, new tanks, and went through a lot of fuel weekly. I've used the diesel at Sam's along Rt97, but not often enough to comment on results. I have not used Costco diesel, but in general, if any station is going through fuel at a high rate and has newer facilities, it's less likely to have problems.

If you want to put in the time, you can research from what source different stations/companies get their diesel. This still doesn't tell you about how well is is stored, or what they add to it, but it may help you make a more informed decision.

Also: For our MkIV's, I use PowerService DFS (white bottle) in the cold seasons, but for the Mk7, I add a little (of the same) to every tank of fuel. A search for additives and the comparison of demulsifiers, emulsifiers, water solubilizers, etc. will provide you hundreds of pages of good reading.

Hope this helps.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes I understand. I plan doing that after the two year warranty expires.
There is an extended emissions warranty that runs for much more time and miles than the CPO warranty does. It should of been explained to you when buying the car and paperwork given with the details. 12 years/162k miles on the engine, turbo, high pressure fuel pump, emissions equipment and anything that sets a check engine light, except the transmission. Read up on this before you tamper with anything.

TDI
2014 A6 TDI Stage 1 Tune
Recently moved from A GS350 to this beauty and couldn't be happier! She's a 2014 3.0L A6 TDI Prestige on 20s with the black optics PKG andI recently got her a stage 1 tune! Aside from the tune, I can't locate ANY other performance aftermarket products out there for this vehicle [emoji848]. If I could get an exhaust and intake I'd be golden. Hoping someone here and point me in the right direction...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Do Audis not qualify for the club [emoji12]or are there really no parts out there?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toons

TDI
VW Jetta 2007
Just to say Hello!

Thank you for all the great suggests and advice on this site. I'm new to VW, purchasing a Mk5 just a couple of months ago at auction and really enjoying the car. As Dean Martin (Date Stamped myself all ready!) "Keep the cards and letters coming in!"

Scooter74432

TDI
Mk4 Jetta ALH
Newbie lol

Hi there everyone . I'm new to the thread.. been dealing with vw for a little while now And am now getting more involved with serious side of diy maintenance... I have some questions about my current vehicle (2002 Jetta TDI with little over 300k miles ) about engine overhaul and was wondering wich thread I needed to post under. Thank you

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

theuprightbass

TDI
2011 Golf Highline
Hey everybody. New to the TDIClub. Second time VW owner and my first TDI. I’ve already learned a lot by spending many enjoyable hours reading threads on here. I look forward to learning more and interacting with the community. There’s so much accumulated experience....it’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madlife

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen??
First time VW and TDI owner. 2011 Jettasportwagen. Already have a few mods in mind I'd like to do.

Coming from Daily Driving Subaru for the last 13+ years.

Jetta dog

TDI
99.5 Jetta 5spd 198K
Hey all... I've been a fan of the club for years now, but decided it was time to join. I've researched so much about TDIs on these forums, years before even buying one. For that, I'd just like to say thank you to all that have taken the time to share their knowledge, insights and experience with everyone!
My 99.5 Jetta is my first TDI, despite it being my 14th Mk4 Jetta. I've grown to enjoy working on them since buying my oldest son's starter car 4 years ago. The TDI has grown on me and don't have any plans of getting rid of it.
Anyway, thanks again for all of your time...and for letting me join the group ?