New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
There's even the 2015 BMW 328d xDrive for those who want something a little smaller!
Again all are $70+ k offering ain't no average joe auto diesel....And the numbers I have seen on sales of this model are in the hundreds of units sold, nothing more than a blip, a really small blip in the register of offering sold....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sorry, none of that made sense. And on that note, I'm going to bed. :)

Welcome to TDIClub, sandwichTDI, and I hope your quest for an AWD sedan turns out well. I'm going to talk to Fred (the site owner) about adding a section for the larger Audi sedans, including the A6, A7 (technically a hatchback), and the A8.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Again all are $70+ k offering ain't no average joe auto diesel....And the numbers I have seen on sales of this model are in the hundreds of units sold, nothing more than a blip, a really small blip in the register of offering sold....
Rare or not, they are available from no less than three manufacturers, some of which date back to the 2012 model year.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, none of that made sense. And on that note, I'm going to bed. :)

Welcome to TDIClub, sandwichTDI, and I hope your quest for an AWD sedan turns out well. I'm going to talk to Fred (the site owner) about adding a section for the larger Audi sedans, including the A6, A7 (technically a hatchback), and the A8.
No VW model's offers all wheel drive diesels today or tomorrow.....VW is the only auto maker selling diesel auto class models @ a price that the average auto buyer can afford...

BMW's with AWD diesel power starting @ $60k+ realistically, MB"s with diesel power start @ $70+k, Audi's lowest price diesel model stopped sale here in 2012(today late in the MY offered 2016+ is the A3 Sedan which doesn't come with AWD as an option priced starting in the mid $40s. With Audi's coming with a pair of 2016 MY sedan TDI powered offerings offered as option of AWD model topping $70+k. And the A8 TDI sedans are going to have real stickers of $90-100+K in AWD....

VW sells the most the diesel powered offerings in the auto class in north america today, $20-31k in price in loaded TDI garb. But VW has not offered an all wheel drive sedan to date!

Earlier this past spring VWAG came out with a statement that they had pulled the plug on their plans to offer the AWD Golf Sprotwagon in north america claiming the economics of offering such did not add up now...

MB, Audi, and BMW sell such low numbers of auto class diesels as to not even add to 0.01-0.04 of a percent of total auto sales over the last decade.

And of the current claimed by the industry number of auto diesels sales making up 0.1-0.4 % of total auto sales came with diesel power VW sold 80-85 % of them..And out of that less than 0.01 % of those sales are all wheel drive in SUV or auto class....

2014 (2015 MY) was the first year anyone on the list even stated they were going to offer these AWD diesel powered sedans(auto class) offerings.....

Tens of millions of vehicles sold this year in N, A. what maybe 800-1,200 sedans sold with diesel power and AWD only sold by Audi, MB & BMW combined over the last year....."0" sold by VW....

Not until changes in CAFE rules in law forces this to change or we are suddenly @ $5 a gal again will any auto maker other than the currently extremely high price low number offerings exist......

No VW or similar reasonably priced model offerings from other makers make/sell auto class diesel powered AWD offerings means they do not exist for 98-99 % of us who buy cars....

I don't know about you, but a car topping $60k-70+k in price puts it out of my price range of purchase......A very very few $70-100+K AWD A6s, A7s & A8s offerings promised to be put out by Audi in 2016 MY doesn't change this.......

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a quote from the web site of the dealer I get parts from, they have the same cars I saw, but not a one is a quattro.

Just as I was told and stated they do not expect to see a quattro versions of one of these until spring of 2016....

2016 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus (Tiptronic) Sedan
PRICE:$65,554
SALE PRICE:$64,955
Type:NewEngine:3.0L TDI clean diesel V6 engineTransmission:8-Speed Automatic with Tiptronic

City MPG:25
Highway MPG:38

Exterior Color:Glacier white metallicInterior Color:Atlas beige (Light carpet)
S Line Sport Package, Warm Weather Package, Cold Weather Package
Compare

PRICE:$65,579
SALE PRICE:$64,980
Type:NewEngine:3.0L TDI clean diesel V6 engineTransmission:8-Speed Automatic with Tiptronic

Exterior Color:Dakota gray metallicInterior Color:Atlas beige (Light carpet)

PRICE:$65,579
SALE PRICE:$64,980

Exterior Color:Havanna black metallicInterior Color:Black

Please Call
Type:NewEngine:3.0L TDI clean diesel V6 engineTransmission:Automatic

Exterior Color:Mythos black metallicInterior Color:Black
Driver Assistance Package, S Line Sport Package, 19" Black Optic Package, Cold Weather Package

Please Call
Type:NewEngine:3.0L V-6 cylTransmission:Automatic

Exterior Color:Moonlight BlueInterior Color:Black
Driver Assistance Package, S Line Sport Package, Warm Weather Package, 19" Black Optic Package, (more packages…)

2016 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Prestige (Tiptronic) Sedan
Please Call
Type:NewEngine:3.0L TDI clean diesel V6 engineTransmission:Automatic

Exterior Color:Glacier white metallicInterior Color:Nougat brown
Prestige Package, Comfort Seating Package, Driver Assistance Package, S Line Sport Package, (more packages…)

2016 Audi A7 3.0 TDI Premium Plus (Tiptronic) Sedan
PRICE:$78,499
SALE PRICE:$77,900

Exterior Color:Mythos black metallicInterior Color:Black
Driver Assistance Package, 20" Wheel & Tire Package, S Line Sport Package, Cold Weather Package

PRICE:$78,499
SALE PRICE:$77,900

Exterior Color:Moonlight blue metallicInterior Color:Atlas beige (Dark carpet)
Driver Assistance Package, 20" Wheel & Tire Package, S Line Sport Package, Cold Weather Package

PRICE:$77,214
SALE PRICE:$76,615
Type:NewEngine:3.0L TDI clean diesel V6 engineTransmission:8-Speed Automatic with TiptronicCity

MPG:25

Exterior Color:Oolong gray metallicInterior Color:Black
Driver Assistance Package, 20" Wheel & Tire Package

2015 Audi A8 L 3.0 TDI Sedan
PRICE:$101,474
SALE PRICE:$100,875
Type:NewEngine:3.0L TDI V6 engineTransmission:8-Speed Automatic with Tiptronic

City MPG:24
Highway MPG:36

Exterior Color:Moonlight blue metallicInterior Color:Velvet beige
Premium Package, Sport Package, Luxury Package, Driver Assistance Package, (more packages…)
The only car listed which I did not see when I was there is the A8, it shows it in inventory but it was not on the lot a couple of weeks back....

It is the only sedan TDI they have listed as being Quattro equipped, and like I said it was not on the lot when I was there. It is as expected for a quattro model rated 24city/36highway... Did anyone else catch the A8 Quattro's $100+K sticker price???

All of the other one's they have listed are not quattro-AWD.

FRom what I can tell from the time I have investigated this any model with claimed 24-25 city/38 highway is not Quattro. All of the Quattro models are 24 city/36 city in all models.....

And I call BS on the facts they claim because their link to a 2014 Quattro A6 sedan claims 24 city/38 highway they claim is quattro.

When all the quattro info I have found from the last year says all the V6 TDI quattro's in available sedan models are only get 24 city/36 highway rated...Dealers are known for this kind of slide of hand to get people into a dealer looking for one thing to be sold something else....And I bet if you call about it suddenly becomes a regular sedan without quattro....

sandwichTDI

TDI
Had 2002 Golf
Thanks! I hope the section section happens. I actually prefer a hatchback to the sedan so the A7 looks like a great choice. I know they are pricey, but I am retiring and considering my age this is probably the last car I'll ever get (particularly since the TDIs last so long) so I really do want a nice car that I can really enjoy driving, particularly for long road trips.

TorqueMaster

TDI
Mk7 Golf 6Sp, Pure White
Hi, Robert here. I just joined the forums today after lurking for a week or so. Bought the last 2015 Golf TDI S 6MT in pure white from my dealer weekend. Only 300ish miles on it so far, but I love the way the power comes on!

Since buying it I have installed a Drawtite hidden hitch and 15% tint all the way around. VMR V710 18" wheels and tires are in the mail and I think I'm done for a while with the mods. Looking at a Malone stg2 and maybe roof racks sometime down the road once I've paid back down my CC, lol.

deejaywoody

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Hi All - Just picked up an '09 Platinum Gray Metallic SportWagen TDI, then subsequently joined the forum :)
It's pretty well bone stock, minus a TS Performance Chip and black Motegi rims the previous owner installed. That TS chip will be coming off ASAP, then the rims for something a little
less generic looking.

Besides the sticky FAQs, are there any immediate items I should be looking into in terms of repair?

scareykari

TDI
2000 jetta, 2013 jetta
Hi TDI Junkies! I've just joined the forums here after having gotten tons of help from the tdi owners that came before me.

I have a 2000 jetta TDI that I have had since new. My husband has done all the work on it for the last few years. Two years ago we loaned the jetta to my daughter to get her by until she could afford a car of her own. We just got our old jetta back a few weeks ago and are starting the process of tearing things out and fixing all the damage that a teenager does to an old car. I'm new to getting my hands under the hood, but my husband has quite a bit of experience.

I'm just now realizing the extensive work this car needs as it has not been properly maintained for the last ten years or so. So far we've found tons of helpful info on this site, but I imagine from time to time we will get stumped and need a little extra help. Thanks in advance to all of you out there willing to help your fellow car lovers.

I love my tdi and am not willing to give it up (even though we bought a 2013, I just can't let the old girl go). We are determined to bring her back to her former glory. Cheers!

LDB

TDI
Researching
New guy on the south side of Houston doing research for my next vehicle. I really like where VW has gone recently. I'm debating a Golf 2 door or a Passat. I drive alone 99.x% of the time and locally the same amount, although being in the Houston area local can be 70-80 miles one way with most of it freeway driving. I might take one road trip ever 2-4 years, probably the lesser amount. I like the wide door opening of the 2 door, being wider than the distance to the seatback.

I am into high mpg, currently driving a 2014 Mazda hatchback. On one of my cross city trips that is almost entirely freeway I can get over 40mpg. I'm curious what I could achieve with the diesel.

What are the maintenance costs compared to a gasoline vehicle? I know there are no "points, plugs and condensers" and I've read somewhere that oil change intervals are 10k miles. Obviously consumables like brakes, tires, etc. are going to be basically identical since that has nothing to do with fuel choice. Are there other diesel maintenance costs that affect overall cost of operation?

I'm looking forward to roaming the forum and learning more about TDI's.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^with idparts, a few other online sources, and a good local mechanic(s) you'll get very reasonable upkeep cost (barring some major incident: be sure to research common problems; you need to know what you are getting into... cams for PD, HPFP and IC charge tube issues in the 09+ CR)... Newer Passat might be a good choice with fewer issues... Try a MKVII, better mileage and they aren't blowing up yet, right? Or if you want an older model look to the ALHs?

with about any 4 banger TDI you can beat that 40 mpg by at least 10 on really long hauls. Good luck and welcome.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What are the maintenance costs compared to a gasoline vehicle? I know there are no "points, plugs and condensers" and I've read somewhere that oil change intervals are 10k miles. Obviously consumables like brakes, tires, etc. are going to be basically identical since that has nothing to do with fuel choice. Are there other diesel maintenance costs that affect overall cost of operation?
One maintenance cost you should know about is the 40k-mile service interval for the DSG transmission, that can cost $200-$400 depending on who does the work. You can avoid this by choosing the 6-speed manual transmission.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
^oh yea, love my manual! And on the MKVI the DPF will eventually be toast... They are pricey.

STLWaffles

TDI
2013 TDI
Howdy, I just picked up my MK6 TDI a few days ago. Its a 2012 with 14k miles on it. It had a few mods from the previous owner, but none from me. I have no real plans for it until October of next year(warranty end).
Mods:
H&R Springs with stock shocks(not to keen on the stock shocks with lowering springs)
Euro Knee pocket
Red LEDs EVERYWHERE
Plasti dipped wheels
GTI grill with TDI badge

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
STLwaffles... that is slick!!!
I have H&Rs on my 01' 325... really like them, but thought I might go with GTI springs on the VW... that is years off, so well see... might try Koni dampers... I don't mind the stock TDI suspension compared to most stock setups... I'm in a much bigger hurry to ditch the suspension on my 06 mx-5...
That is slick!

Last edited:

KC_Woody

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen, Platnum Gray Metallic. Past TDI: Jetta, 2003, Reflex Silver
Well, After 7 years I have another TDI!

Hello All!
My original foray into the world of the TDI was in 2003. I purchased a 2003 Mark IV Jetta and drove it for six years and 200k miles. ...I sold it in 2009 :eek:
...I had just gotten married (at age 38) and we were expecting a baby. I wanted a "safer" car. Every time I have pulled up next to a TDI over the past 6 years, I have cursed (sometimes overtly) and stated I should have never sold that Jetta. based on what I have read I should never have sold it. It is a running joke with the wife.
Long story short my Honda Ridgeline (third vehicle) was totaled on my birthday a few weeks back when I was rear ended by a 20 year old girl in an F150. "I didn't see you and freaked out and hit the gas instead of the brake!". This propelled me into Jeep with a trailer hitch and the rest is history.
The story gets better. ...I have returned to my roots. I just purchased a Certified Pre-owned 2012 Jetta Sportwagen with 32k miles. :D
I love it! I cannot state I love it more than my Silver 2003 ALH Jetta, but time will tell. I once hit a raccoon in my 03 and it took out the serpentine belt. I was in the middle of nowhere. I drove 140 miles with no serpentine belt without issue to a dealership in Topeka, KS! Good memories.

Here is a picture after I had the opportunity to wash the JSW this weekend.
Thanks for still being here and remaining a tight community! I have already learned a lot about the MkVI platform in the last few days.
Regards,
Woody

Last edited:

foodking

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Hello TDIClub,

I currently drive a 2006 DSG TDI and after several painful experiences with my dealership, I've finally decided to get my hands dirty. With little car experience (changing light bulbs and tires) I'll be looking to you guys for advice and recommendations.

At 164k miles now, but I'd really like to keep this car until the body rusts away.

Merlinspop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6mt
Good afternoon all -

I just picked up last night a new 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT. Gray/Moonrock. I have been debating since Spring between this and an SEL. I really wanted all the bells and whistles of the SEL, but I also wanted the manual gearbox and I like the look of the brushed aluminum trim inside (I don't like faux wood). If VW would only have put the manual in the SE with Sun/Nav that has a sprinkling of the 'cool stuff' like push button start, I wouldn't have had to choose.

I've been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot and expect to learn much more. I plan to leave mine essentially stock for a while, except maybe tinting the windows. If Blaupunkt adds CarPlay to their 845, I'd be tempted to put that in. For now, I'll do fine with a CD slot mount and my iPhone.

UncleSpence

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hello neighbors,
I own a 2003 TDI Jetta. After driving a friends TDI while my wife and I were house sitting for them, I liked the car and started the hunt. I bought the car back in December for an older guy in Utah for $5900, which I thought was pretty reasonable for the area. Pretty sure if I wanted to I could still make a profit on it. It had 86K with a new top end on it after what I presume was a bad timing belt.
Car really has been good and we have already put 10,000 miles on it. It's had a few quirks that are still in the process of being resolved including one of those bad door lock modules. It's like having a demon inside of the door.
Otherwise it's great to be a member of the forum after stalking it for the past 9 months and gaining from your own experiences and expertise. I'll try and contribute as well and not just mooch off of your knowledge. Thanks!
Uncle Spence

Gemgeek

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Manual
New 2015 Sportwagen manual

New to the forum. Just bought my 2015 TDI Sportwagen S Manual after researching and lusting for 2 years. Its been 8 days and I'm in love! No huge mods planned yet but I'm sure the bug will hit me sooner or later.

DoubleJ

TDI
2009 Jetta
Hello.

Thanks for the great wealth of knowledge and resources this site has to offer. I found this site while researching the VW TDI cars which led to my purchase of a 2009 Jetta TDI. I recently started a new job with a 104 mile per day commute and had to buy something that got at least 40mpg. So far, so good.

Thanks tdiclub.
Josh.

ModdedMach

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI 2dr
Hello from the Southeast US. Recently made my purchased my first TDI and second VW.

My first VW was a 2001 VW GTI Vr6 5spd. I loved that car, but at the time i wasnt as good at working on cars and it got to be more of a frustration at 185k miles than it was worth to me at the time. So i sold it and bought my 3rd or 4th mustang. (Im a mustang guy)

Ive always had a Daily driver and usually save my stangs for weekend cruising/hooning. Recently I killed my 2006 focus and after speaking with a friend of mine about his 02 TDI beetle, i thought id like a TDI. Low and behold, a Licensed dealer friend (who i buy all my DDs from) is at an auction and finds something you dont see too often in the US: An Mk4 Golf TDI 2dr 5spd with 123k miles. SNATCHED IT UP (for stupid cheap too).

I love this thing. Last tank i got 660 miles on 12.8g of diesel, mixed driving, i could easily break 700 miles, but i typically dont run it very far after the low fuel light comes on.

Things ive done to it so far are: a mufflerectomy, Malone Stage 1 tune to fix the "hot start" issue found in 99.5 ALH cars, tuned by Andrew Rodriguez @ fixmyvw.com (hes local to me, awesome dude). I also ordered a deluxe timing belt kit from dieselgeek, a new thermostat and housing (it needs one), some G13 coolant, changed the oil to Amsoil 5w40 Eurospec with full SAPS, as well as a new oil dipstick tube (and an extra spare). OH and ive also already installed a drawtite hitch with a curt eurostyle 2" ball. Ordered the wiring harness today. Future plans include Amsoil transmission fluid, Airlift helper bags in the rear, and lots of new interior parts (of course).

After being a muscle car guy since i was a kid- im a torque junky, and owning 5 mustangs (latest of which is a 2012 5.0), this has been the best DD car ive had. I love how It drives, torque comes on so early, the spool noise, and THE FREAKIN MPGS are UNREAL. (I commute 100 miles a day for work)

Im a diesel guy for life now. Im sure ill be hanging around TDIclub for a while.

Thanks for reading.

RC1966

TDI
2005 tdi passat 2.0
2005 TDI Passat 2.0

Good morning all, I had to replace my torque converter and I have replaced the seal 3 times now, getting tired of pulling out the tranny, any suggestions, love this car and it gets 42 mpg, car has 277,000 miles strong. Did a tranny filter and fliud change and no metal debris in pan, good news on that.
B8ut the leak I keep getting is between the engine and tc. I need your thoughts please
Have a great day all

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Well time for a proper introduction. Had my daily driver taken from me by an inattentive driver about 3 weeks ago. Decided to find a nicer car for myself than the $3K car I was driving (2004 Malibu Maxx). Have friends with TDI's and after some exploring, decided a 2012 Passat SEL was what I wanted.

Had a bit of a debacle with a pretty shady dealership yesterday trying to slide a manufacturer buyback at me without telling me until the last second. Pretty mad because I drove 3 hours to check it out. Ended up finding this about 30 minutes from that car.

It's a 12 SEL, 1 owner, 91K miles, no accidents, very VERY clean car. Soon as I sat in it I said "This is the one". We're going back to pick it up on Thursday (it's 2 1/2 hours away but we have our own credit union we work with rather than dealer financing, and it's a good excuse for a day trip to a different zoo with the kids too). Agreed at $14.5K which I feel is fair. Not afraid of maintenance (I have done ALH timing belts without an issue, ex general automotive tech here now working for a major tire manufacturer).

REALLY looking foward to driving this every day. I had a 05 Audi A6 I bought as a flip car last October for a song (needed upper timing tensioners done) that I almost kept for myself I loved it so much. This VW will be easily as impressive I hope.

JCM-TDI

TDI
Jetta TDI 06
New to the page

Hey guys recently I acquired a nice Jetta tdi 5 speed manual
I'm loving the mpg and the torque....also love the page it's full
Of good information!

ygk007

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
Finally! Joined the club

Been a lurker for a while.

Been wanting a Jetta TDI wagon for 4+ years, but didn't have the budget for one.

First car was a Karmann Ghia.
Was introduced to VW Diesels in '91 with my cousin in France driving a Golf TDI.
In '93, my girlfriend had a Dasher Diesel 4 speed which her mother had handed down to her and she drove it like a stock car. The engine died and I was going to put a rebuilt motor in it, but found that it was not as easy or cheap as the gas rebuilts...

Finding my wagon was an insurmountable task.
Over time, I gave up on the idea of an '03 or older as I need something newer and reliable for my daily driver which I travel with too.
I wanted a manual transmission & almost no manuals come up.
It seemed as if 50% of the ones that did were rebuilts.
I didn't want a black, red or white car and was searching for one with a tan or gray interior, because of the heat in Florida.

I've searched fooberts TDI Hunt, cars.com, autotrader.com, ebay, and had even resorted to posting notes on cars that I came across in parking lots.

I posted my info on this one a week ago on Thursday, he texted back over the labor day weekend, and I went out and looked at it with my mechanic and bought it on Tuesday.
The car has 60K miles on it and was rebuilt by the guy driving it.
The front and rear bumpers and radiator were damaged. He texted me prior photos. My mechanic said that it looked like it came from the Jacksonville yard.
My mechanic used to buy junk cars for LKQ and does body work said that everything he said panned out - no frame damage. The front left fender is turned out slightly where it meets the bumper. No big deal, and the mount for the headlight on the right side is torn.

??It has nav, and sunroof, so I'm assuming that it is an SEL?

He originally offered it to me for $9,500. I was surprised then, that he, being a dealer, included tax and tag work for $10K, which brings my cost to $9,100 & change.

It has a GTI grille with TDI letters are stuck on it, but spaced out more with one drooping. I'm probably going to reset them.
The grille seems to be original as there are some scratches on the VW emblem and there is residue from where the GTI letters were originally attached to the flat black plastic piece in front of the grill that is shaped like GTI.
??What's the best way to remove and reattach the TDI letters?
??Where can I get a red I?
??It appears in STLWaffles pic a page ahead of mine, that the TDI logo is attached directly to the GTI grille without the flat black GTI piece.
??Is that flat black piece removable?
??Can I get TDI letters that can be attached to the GTI grille?
?Where do you get them?
?How do you attach them?

??What's the best way to post photos?

Thanks

Last edited:

Diesel Jetta

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi,
Moved to London Ontario recently and needed cheap transport quick.
Used to own a 90 horse Diesel Passat and loved it
so went looking for a Diesel Jetta (Mk IV? because my garage is small).
Bought a 2000 model in reasonably good shape but with a couple of issues.
Need some help and saw some great information on this forum, so here I am.
John.