New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

JonnieBGood

TDI
2014 Sportwagon
Hello fellow TDI owners!

We purchased a brand new 2014 TDI Sportwagen about a year ago and LOVE it.

Starting to consider projects such as adding a tow hitch (for bike rack and possibly for storage when camping).

Looking forward to talking with everyone going forward.

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Hello from Seattle. New to the TDI community as we recently purchased a used 2014 Sportwagen with 20,202 miles on it. Our 1998 Audi A6 Avant passed away with a Heater core leak and we needed a Dog friendly "wagen" for wife's every day commuting and weekend travel with Gretta our 2 year old German Shepard We wanted room like the A6 but much better MPG. A small Crossover SUV like the Ford C-Max was interesting, but one drive in the TDI sold my wife and I. As a Porsche fan I wanted a better road mannered drivers car - like the A6, and the Sportwagen Is IT! We added a CURT Hitch, will have Tint done soon, and Shiny Tail Pipes... and I am very happy & so is the wife. 1000 miles so far and just filled up the tank for the 2nd time. Double the A6 MPG and mostly around town. First road trip planned soon... :)

jdoll

TDI
None yet
New member here currently living in california after living mostly in Idaho. Got here with my old chevy malibu at 176k and realized the commute I have (100 miles round trip) is gonna eat me alive in fuel and kill this old pos I drive. So I'm interested in a TDi thus my joining the forum :)

jazzman83

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Good Day. 2015 TDI Jetta Trendline+ from Toronto here. Looking forward to future projects and sharing experiences.

Buckalov

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
2014 Jetta Sportwagon Glow Plug light blinked, then died

Hello everyone,
I was having a nice vacation this weekend, 350 miles from home, went to fill my car with Shell diesel, and after that my glow plug light blinked on the 1 1/2 mile trip back to the campground. Went to back into my campsite, car had no power at all. Had to tow the car to the dealer, which cost me 500 bucks, renting a Uhaul. Now its at the dealer and I'm waiting for that hopefully not terrible news. Anyone ever hear of this happening in a basically new car? 53K miles on it. Use shell diesel exclusively. Never put gas in it, I'm the only driver.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Buck

Mandrewoid

TDI
2002 ALH auto <Trans decaying
Hey TDIclub! I've been lurking here for 6+ years, finally decided to join to ask for some advice! I've been inheriting TDI's and IDI's from my family since 2002, but now It's finally time to buy my own.Lol

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
New

April 2015 Jetta S DSG TDI :D. Works good so far 42.5 mpg.as to 26 mpg.

hope to learn how the wrench works!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hello everyone,
I was having a nice vacation this weekend, 350 miles from home, went to fill my car with Shell diesel, and after that my glow plug light blinked on the 1 1/2 mile trip back to the campground. Went to back into my campsite, car had no power at all. Had to tow the car to the dealer, which cost me 500 bucks, renting a Uhaul. Now its at the dealer and I'm waiting for that hopefully not terrible news. Anyone ever hear of this happening in a basically new car? 53K miles on it. Use shell diesel exclusively. Never put gas in it, I'm the only driver.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Buck
Sorry to say it doesn't sound good. Sound like you a bad load of fuel.

jrichard333

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI manual 5-speed
Hi Everyone. Just got my first Jetta, a 2006 TDI manual 5-speed.

I've never been too into cars (more of an electronics guy), but I'm excited about my new car and I want to start learning. The information compiled in the FAQs is exceptional and provides a great start.

Looks like you guys have a great community. Looking forward to getting involved.

James

kmart

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon
Hi All,

bought a used 2011 golf wagon highline (JSW?) w/ 6 spd manual a couple weeks ago and love it so far.

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
The Beave has arrived to TDICLUB!!!!

In a nice Charcoal Metallic Grey 2015 Jetta TDI S. With 6MT.
Hello All. Expanding myself away from the Audio Hobby a bit to dip in here to see if I can learn some things I'll need to know in order to break in this new Car of Me and the Mrs. And wow, We bought a Diesel! First time for that. I guess I'm a bit intimidated cause I haven't driven the thing since we took it home last Saturday.......The last 'new' car we had was badly keyed multiple time in the train station parking lot-talk about a deflated heart. Amazing how really bad people can be sometimes.......
so I don't want to drive it until I get the plates which should be in hopefully two weeks. Then it's off for a 286 mile x2 (round trip) trip down to Oregon (I'm near Seattle) for it's first 'road trip'.
So now somebody told me NOT to downshift (to slow the vehicle down, like I've done with every manual tranny car I've had in the past) on the diesel as it would ruin the engine. The guy knows Fords very well so I guess I'll start there and try and find any references to warnings in the owners manual, which I've already gone through once.........

But damn, I'm actually excited......Nice looking car without being to 'Old' looking or 'Teen Stupid' looking........LOL!

Back to work..........Good to be here, more later from Auburn, Wa.

The Beave

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I purchased my 2013 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual in March of last year and have put just a little over 70k miles on her since then. I'm loving every mile with this car.

I posted a few photos of "Permelia" and our travels in the Picture Gallery section, so I won't clutter this thread up with more.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446235

I'm looking forward to getting to know the people here, and hopefully contributing to the community a little bit in my quest for a million miles :D

sbalneav

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Hello everyone!

New TDI owner. Just purchased a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S with a 6SM. Only put 200 km on it so far, loving it.

Phil5651

TDI
2015 Jetta SE w/connectivity
Newbie need some information

Hello and New to this forum.

Purchased a New 2015 Jetta TDI w/connectivity and noticed to my dismay it is missing the 2 most important gauges (my opinion)....
1. No Engine Temperature light
2. No Oil pressure light
Dealer tells me the TDI is bullet proof, having owned a 68 Beetle I would tend to agree but it had both gauges.
Does anyone have suggestion on how to or is possible to use the ODB2 ?

daniel85

TDI
Golf Mk3 ALE
How to start tuning a G3 TDI?

Hi, I am new in this forum, from Hungary. I bought my golf estate TDI 1 year ago. I made the necessary chassis works and now it would be the time to start tuning it a bit. The engine is ALE, and not tuned. Tere is no error message from the computer. I just blocked the EGR last week. Some effect can be felt already. A mechanic told, that he hears bad noise from the injector nozzles. Knowing this, my question is if I would like to get approx. 150 HP out of this engine, does this require tuning nozzles, or the stock ones are fine for this level? If tuning ones are needed, which sort of do you suggest? And if I simply put these in, what would it mean without further modifications to the engine? Would I get any extra power, or just after e.g a chiptuning? Would it even work? Fuel consumption effects?

Another question is around boost pressure. It seems, that I do not have the correct one fitted, therefore the blue and the red tubes are connected from the charger, and the regulator valve is out of use. It is a cylindrical one. I made some measurement, and now there is 0,7-0,8 at the top, but after 2200 rpm the engine feels to be just running, but I cannot feel the power increasing. The mechanic told, that I should buy a factory one which sould be a rectangular shape one. Do you think this is really useful if i would like to make chiptuning later?
And does anyone know what is the factory boost pressure for this engine? I found different info, the Haynes book writes 0,7 bar, but I found 1,2bar in the VAG files.

Thanks for replies!

xsfmed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Indigo Blue
Not new to the site, but returning after a fairly long absence...

If you are in the PNW and need work done on your TDI... drive to Portland to have oldpoopie treat your engine right. I mean I moved from the East Coast because I needed a great TDI mechanic. Too bad I'm in Montana now.

TDITommyTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
New to the Group

New to the Group. Just bought a 2009 Jetta TDI. Im am excited to join the community and get some good gas mileage. My last daily driver was a 2003 Jeep that got 14 MPG. Right now i am still on the Free tank from the Dealer but excited to see if i can make the Tank last a whole month of driver to work and back and small trips to the store. Also looking to gain some knowledge from others.

ElikemMoten

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE - 6 Speed MT
New to the forum, new to Volkswagen, new to diesel.
A few months ago I picked up a new 2015 Jetta TDI SE. I was previously a Subaru owner & enthusiast and dearly loved my last WRX. There was a stint with a Dodge Avenger, but I try not to dwell on the dark days. Now I find myself enjoying even the shortest drives in my TDI. It's great to be driving a manual again, and I've also learned what "German Engineering" is all about. The only thing more surprising than the precision and feel of this car was how much fun the diesel engine is.
Anyways here he is...

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Just a quick note while I'm finishing up lunch here. Last Sunday (8/23) I took the TDI out to go visit my 92YO Mom who Lives with my Two Sisters in Issaquah Washington. It's about a 43 mile-one way-drive and I take Highway 18 from Auburn over Tiger Mountain (two long up hill climbs probably 6 or 7% incline) to highway I-90. I fueled up in Auburn right before I left-$2.79 a gallon for ULSD grade diesel, and took to going trough the mountain. I drove it normal-semi gentle. Shifting between 2500 and 3000 with normal acceleration. When I got it back into my Garage and turned the key I had tagged 60.1 MPG-Unreal.....just plain Unreal to me.
The real Funny thing is I can't really boast about it to people, they look at me like their disgusted.........it's a very interesting reaction, so I just don't brag about it any more, not like I really did in the first place........
looking forward to friday.....
the beave

Hugowagon

TDI
04 jetta wagon
Hi everybody !
I'm owner of a TDI for about a year now, and really love it ! Since i do almost 1000km/week for work it's not even a option to go TDI.

My first one was a beated up 01 jetta with 400k km that ran great but the body was in poor condition...
So i bought a 2004 jetta wagon that was in really good aesthetic shape but with the tiptronic transmission and 500k MILES on it :).
And now i just did the auto to 5speed swap thanks to TDIClub !
Since the swap i got from 7L/100km (40mpg) to 5L/100km (56mpg).

KC10Chief

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hello! I've been lurking here for a while researching cars. My wife was growing tired of all of the issues with her 2008 Pontiac G6. It was a pretty clunky car for only having 69,000 miles on it. We looked at a lot of cars and I had always kind of wanted a TDI anyways. We looked at the Ford Fusion, Mazda 6, Toyota Camry, and the Chevy Volt. We both liked the VW Passat TDI hands down though. Yesterday, I had her drive my Jeep and told her I needed the car. My Jeep gets TERRIBLE gas mileage. 15 mpg on a good day. Anyways, I took her car and traded it for a brand spanking new 2015 Passat TDI SEL. It's black with the cornsilk interior. She was pretty excited when she got home from work and I had it waiting in the garage for her.

On my way home from the dealer, I went to grab some chicken from Caines since I didn't have time to cook. On my way home from there, I was waiting at a stop light. The car had 14 miles on when I got rear ended by this ridiculous woman on her phone. The damage is very minor though. Still, it was kind of a downer after being excited about our new car.

This thing sure is sweet though! I have zero regrets. I'm hoping that we can keep the cornsilk interior clean! I've had black interiors on everything else.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hi Everyone. Just got my first Jetta, a 2006 TDI manual 5-speed.

I've never been too into cars (more of an electronics guy), but I'm excited about my new car and I want to start learning. The information compiled in the FAQs is exceptional and provides a great start.

Looks like you guys have a great community. Looking forward to getting involved.

James
Welcome! TDIs (and VWs in general) are a fun balance between cars and electronics. You should check out TDIFest up in Maine next weekend if you want to learn a bunch and meet people.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Just a quick note while I'm finishing up lunch here. Last Sunday (8/23) I took the TDI out to go visit my 92YO Mom who Lives with my Two Sisters in Issaquah Washington. It's about a 43 mile-one way-drive and I take Highway 18 from Auburn over Tiger Mountain (two long up hill climbs probably 6 or 7% incline) to highway I-90. I fueled up in Auburn right before I left-$2.79 a gallon for ULSD grade diesel, and took to going trough the mountain. I drove it normal-semi gentle. Shifting between 2500 and 3000 with normal acceleration. When I got it back into my Garage and turned the key I had tagged 60.1 MPG-Unreal.....just plain Unreal to me.
The real Funny thing is I can't really boast about it to people, they look at me like their disgusted.........it's a very interesting reaction, so I just don't brag about it any more, not like I really did in the first place........
looking forward to friday.....
the beave
I saw 150+ driving down a mountain (over 10 miles)... lol... really (not that it has any relevance in the real world...). So what did they do to make the news ones do that? was it level? When I drive for max efficiency on long 100+ miles hauls I've seen 50ish, but we have not had a trip like that since we had the tune, and I am not willing to cruise below 1700rpms unless I'm headed down an incline or in low gear...

Last edited:

bharkin

TDI
2015 MKVII
Greetings all, I am Brian and my 15 Golf TDi is my first VW. I am excited to have it, it's a blast to drive. It's an auto 6 sp but it drives like a stick so far. I have so much to learn about this car and the TDi.....

Last edited:

sandwichTDI

TDI
Had 2002 Golf
Awd tdi?

Hi. Well, I'm not really new to the forum. I had a 2002 Golf TDI and found the forum very useful. Even though I was never really into cars I ended up doing several mods that made it faster and more enjoyable to use. In 2011 I sold the Golf and got a Nissan Leaf. The Leaf is actually a good choice for me here on O'ahu where the limited range is not an issue and considering I have excess capacity with my PV system. Electric is similar to the TDI in that you have "low end" torque.

Anyway, I am retiring next year to a house on the north shore of Squam Lake in New Hampshire. The Leaf isn't a viable choice because of the range issue and the challenging roads.

The road I'll be living on is dirt with some steep grades that can be challenging in the winter and particularly in the spring "mud season." So, I figure an AWD vehicle is a must. The Tesla S now comes in AWD but is a bit pricey and still doesn't have the range I will need for my anticipated road trips once I'm retired. Every time I rent a gasoline powered car it reminds me of why I don't want to go down that road again so, given that electric isn't going to work and gasoline is no fun at all, I'm looking to rejoin the TDI family.

What I'm hoping for from the forum at this point is to get an idea of what the TDI folks think of the different AWD options that are available for TDIs. I notice there is an Audi A3 discussion area but the A3s don't come with the quattro drive. There is a discussion area for the Q7 and Q5 but I was really looking for a sedan or hatchback, not an SUV. The A6, A7, and A8 L all come with the TDI and quattro drive but I don't see any model specific discussion areas dedicated to them so I wasn't sure where to go to see user comments on these cars. I also understand that VW is thinking of introducing some AWD models so I hope to learn about those as well or any other options I'm not aware of.

Once I'm retired I'll have plenty of time to install mods so I should be spending a lot of time on the forums next year once I have my new TDI in hand!

Last edited:

sandwichTDI

TDI
Had 2002 Golf
Awd tdi

Sorry, but this has been discussed over & over here, you should do a little searching on the topic to get a clear picture of why no one today offers diesel power AWD in the auto class.....
Hmm, my first post and I get chided for not doing enough searching on the topic ... however, with all due respect, Audi is making AWD cars AND selling them in the USA. Go to the Audi USA Website Click on the Models tab on the upper left hand corner, then select Diesel & hybrid. For cars this yields the A3, A6, A7, and A8. The A6, A7, and A8 all have Audi's quattro all wheel drive as standard equipment when you select the TDI engine. As far as a VW AWD TDI check this out. So, it appears the situation has changed and there are now three models of Audi with AWD TDI engines and VW will be following suit soon. Anyway, perhaps we can move this discussion to its own thread since it seems that although the topic has been discussed over & over, things have changed and it may be useful to have some more discussion on the matter now that TDI AWDs are available in the USA ...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
!Today as of the 2015 MY only SUVs are offered with all wheel drive.!

It mentions they will offer 2016 MY A6 & A7 quattro TDIs, no one today sells any yet! QAnd when they finally do show up as promised,,,LOL....And if they show up some time in the next year, we all here knowing this part of the auto industry as we all do here they will not be in the price range of the average US auto class buyer..

But as we all know here, plenty of things are spoke of & promised which don't ever show up here for sale. We all here learned a long time ago claimed offered things such as this coming offering are vaporware until the first one shows up for sale here.

Also you are talking about $60-80+k sedans, hardly run of mill VW offered sedans with TDI power.....These will be if offered niche vehicles at best offered in such low numbers as to not even really make a dent in overall sales.......

So I stand by what I stated, today 2015 MY no one offers a sedan with AWD and diesel power!
Bull! Audi has been selling quattro TDI sedans since 2014. BMW also offered a 2014 535d xDrive sedan... n1das on this forum has one and I've driven it.

Now settle down and welcome the newcomer. :)

Edit: Oh look, here's a 2012 S-Class diesel 4Matic and here's a 2015 E-Class diesel 4Matic!

Last edited: