New owner oil question

Smokeeater163

TDI
2012 VW Passat 2.0 TDI
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2012 VW Passat 2.0 TDI with 117,000 miles. I am wondering if it would hurt anything to add a quart of Mobil 1 European 0w-40 with the 505.00 specification rating in my car? I have ordered the Liuqi Moly 5w-30 with an oil filter and fuel filter that is recommended from idparts.com, but unfortunately it won't be here for a week and I need my car. Any negative problems for running it for a few days till the proper stuff comes in?

Thank you,
Mike

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I would think that running a mix of proper oil and the Mobile 1 for only few days would not do damage. How low is the level on the dip stick? Do you have an oil leak? My '013 does not burn a drop of oil over 5,000 miles.

Smokeeater163

TDI
2012 VW Passat 2.0 TDI
It was a quart low. There are no oil leaks that I can find by looking or seeing oil spots on the driveway. This is my 1st TDI or diesel in general and didn't know they would burn oil like that....guess I do now though...lol

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
It could be that the previous owner underfilled it. Do the oil change and monitor the level weekly and see what consumption you have. All of the four VW TDIs I have owned over the last 20 years did not burn or leak any oil. You might check around the valve cover gaskets for leaks there or around the base of the oil filter housing.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2012 VW Passat 2.0 TDI with 117,000 miles. I am wondering if it would hurt anything to add a quart of Mobil 1 European 0w-40 with the 505.00 specification rating in my car? I have ordered the Liuqi Moly 5w-30 with an oil filter and fuel filter that is recommended from idparts.com, but unfortunately it won't be here for a week and I need my car. Any negative problems for running it for a few days till the proper stuff comes in?

Thank you,
Mike

I'd do the same thing. The 10W-30 507 oils use different additives to prolong the catalyst system. For only a few days of use a 0W-40 505 oil will have no effect on the catalysts.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

ReallyBigAir

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My 2013 Passat TDI (80k miles) consumes "almost" a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I've had an oil consumption test performed twice by the dealer. Both times the consumption came back at just a bit under one quart per 1000 miles. VW considers a quart per 1000 miles to be acceptable and they will not do anything to remedy the issue.

BTW, we've checked for oil leaks and none were detected. We also checked the inlet tube at the bottom of the intercooler to insure the turbo was not leaking oil (known issue, extended warranty now). No oil found in the intercooler tube. No unusual smoke, but it does seem to perform a regen cycle more often than I think it should and all that extra heat generated during the regen creates a unique smell in the passenger compartment.

Dealer had no recommendations regarding how to reduce oil consumption. I did recently have a seemingly unrelated repair and I'm curious to see if it reduces my oil consumption. If it does, I'll reply back to the thread.

So, since the oil change interval is 10,000 miles, and a consumption rate of a quart every 1000 is acceptable, that means you have to add 9 quarts between oil changes. Nice........

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
What brand of oil are you using? I'd try using motul or pentocin rather than dealer oil.