New JSW buyer and I’m panicking

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Why not get a free warranty if one is available to you?
If it's free I agree. When I was looking, the CPO warranty was reflected in the price you paid for the car.

I paid ~ 3k less than what a vw dealer wanted for similar CPO cars. Circumstances may be different due to location, timing, ...

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Yes. You are correct, there is a price to pay for a CPO vehicle vs. non-CPO. Considering these cars are starting to get up in age, I would consider it a wise choice to any buyer.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Quick update on my Kerma CJAA tune that I installed last weekend.

I did not drive as much this week as I normally do, only 420 miles. My first impressions concerning drivability are fantastic. The car simply pulls strong in any gear. The difference is noticeable and impressive but not over the top nor out of place for a commuter car, which my car is. I can drive just as I always have on my commute and you would not even know the tune was installed.

I have noticed lower exhaust temperatures throughout the whole system including the DPF. My fuel flow is lower all around, from idle to cruise. When rev matching, etc....throttle response is greatly improved. I saw one active regen in that 420 miles, it was substantially shorter in duration then with the software that was previously installed in the vehicle. I was previously experiencing long regens every 200-250 miles, and this was for a vehicle that drove 100 miles per day, mostly highway and high speed rural roads.

As for fuel economy, I saw an increase of approximately 4 miles per gallon hand calculated at the pump. From 41.7 mpg to just shy of 46 mpg. I was impressed with the number considering the tank included some fairly heavy throttle enjoying the new tune as well as some long periods of idling. Even though their accuracy is poor, at 370 miles into the tank the needle was at the half full mark. Compared to normally about 300 miles into the tank pre tune.

The average MPG calculation in the MFD, it might need some slight tweaking with VCDS but in the end I found it to mimic its behavior in indicating slightly high from the factory. I saw averages on my trips from 42-50.5 mpg. As stated prior by others, this tune keeps all factory emissions equipment in tact.

Last edited:

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
We bought our '13 wagon 6mt new for my wife. Took the money from the settlement and kept it to be fixed. (at about 60k miles I believe). It had the sunroof replaced very early due to rattling that the service dept. could not fix. Exhaust flap followed, and then the IM replaced due to p2015. After a couple of IC icing re-start issues, I had it towed back to service. That was replaced with the "upgraded" IC under warranty. 3 weeks ago we got the 2002 code, and now we have a new DPF.
It's been a lot of work, but nothing crazy for a 7.5 year old car. And that warranty has covered a lot of expenses so far. But now that the dpf is new, I'm also probably going the route of a non delete tune. Warranty will not last forever, and I dont want to bet on the new DPF failing before it expires. Will be installing the Koni special actives and tiguan/towing springs next week too. Looking forward to that in a big way.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Slightly panicing. I’m looking at getting a 2012-2014 JSW with <66k miles on it. I have a couple in the area on is private party with 62k another is a CPO car from a dealership with 37k. The CPO car has a Pano sunroof (don’t really want a sunroof but if it has a warranty for two years). I’m panicking because both trusted mechanics I talked with said as soon as the warranty is done take out the DPF and tune it. I don’t want to do this due to ethical reasons and local inspections. I’m worried that the long term effect on the DPF’s with VW “fix” is still slightly unknown. I don’t want to be in the shop every other month. The car will be driven 60% hwy 40% in town. Can anyone help with my panicing!?
Your mechanics are full of @#$%. These TDI VW's run GREAT stock..... There is no need to be illigle or butcher the car. These idiots don't know what they are talking about and they are talking about breaking federal EPA laws... You may know it caused VW to get their TIT in the ringer... It cost them 100's of millions if not billions, many being fired or going to jail.... Don't waste your money. The added power and slight increase in MPG will be hard pressed to equal the cost of the modification.

I recommend 5 oz of Optilube XPD 512.... With the great MPG a gallon of XPD lasts a long time. Order direct,,, or Amazon. I add to the mix Optilube Lubricity 1280. My mix is 4 qts of XPD and 2 qts Lubricity....

Last edited:

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
Your mechanics are full of @#$%. These TDI VW's run GREAT stock..... There is no need to be illigle or butcher the car. These idiots don't know what they are talking about and they are talking about breaking federal EPA laws... You may know it caused VW to get their TIT in the ringer... It cost them 100's of millions if not billions, many being fired or going to jail.... Don't waste your money. The added power and slight increase in MPG will be hard pressed to equal the cost of the modification.

I recommend 5 oz of Optilube XPD 512.... With the great MPG a gallon of XPD lasts a long time. Order direct,,, or Amazon. I add to the mix Optilube Lubricity 1280. My mix is 4 qts of XPD and 2 qts Lubricity....

Thank, I ended up getting a 2014 JSW TDI with on 21,300 miles on it (with no sunroof). It’s the newest car I’ve ever owned. It drives amazing compared to my old 2002 ALH. Still getting used to hearing it regen and it always seems to do it at the weirdest times. Now i just need some better floor mats, trunk mat, and to convince the wife I need a $300 2” eco hitch.

I’ll grab some of that optI lube.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
@tdmsurfguy you may find that there are no MPG effects observed with additives. Or you may find some that do help. Best thing you can do is to test it out for yourself. They're definitely not going to add any perceivable power. The main benefit is to improve lubricity and maintain the HP fuel pump.

As for the advice to not tune your car, well... DPFs aren't cheap and they go quickly after the "fix." Mine lasted a couple months at best and that's doing 1hr+ highway commutes each way. You can opt for the whole enchilada or an eco-tune that will maintain your equipment (and local smog eligibility) but curtail the abuse from excessive regens.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
@tdmsurfguy I am glad you found one like new! I got my 2010 JSW 6MT with 148k miles on it and a fresh extended warranty out to 197k, my DPF cracked at around 152k miles and was replaced under warranty. I tow a small enclosed trailer every now and then to get the EGR temps up to burn out the soot, hoping it lasts me at least another 150k on this DPF. Currently at 194k miles and only had 3 issues so far, leaking/clogged sunroof drains, bad clutch master cylinder, and soon to be a new starter as the current turns pretty slow even with a new battery.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I am at 190k on my 2011 JSW 6MT with panoroof; bought in 2016 at 138k. The "fix" was done back in 2017 at ~158k, and the warranty covers my powertrain for yet another two years from today, or 210k miles, one or the other. I have a Kerma Tune and averaged 44MPG when I was still commuting. Below are some things that I've dealt with during my current ownership (in no particular order):

* replaced two glow plugs (one under the "fix's" warranty)
* replaced radio
* did the P2015 bracket fix
* replaced the DPF
* replaced front headrests with MKIV units (the original ones felt like they pushed my head down a lot)
* replaced shocks
* Installed Kerma tune
* replaced panoroof sunshade
* fixed wrongly-placed panoroof drain tubes
* reposition a window back onto its track
* replaced brakes
* some performance upgrades

The vehicle shines on roadtrips. It will go 85MPH all day long without breaking a sweat, and I am not afraid to romp on it as well. I don't think there's many wagons in our country that'll compare. I could buy a Volvo V90, but it's expensive and no manual and 19MPG.

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
Bought my '14 GSW CPO 6spd in June of last year. In Canada, the 2 year warranty is most definitely NOT free; they wanted a couple grand for it. I passed. I figured that if unexpected repairs didn't total more than 2K in 2 years, I was ahead.

Well it was close. In the 40K kilometers (24K miles) I've had it, I've replaced the sway bar links (twice), the alternator clutch pulley, O-rings at the AC condenser (dealership wanted to replace the whole unit but my guru knew better), and the big one: the entire clutch assembly. It was only the slave cylinder that leaked, but it's inside the assembly unit, and the whole thing had to be replaced. $2300 I didn't budget for. Put a Sachs SMF unit in and it buzzes like a ***** now in 1st gear at part-throttle. It still only has 123K on it (76K miles).

Now the DPF needs replacing. That's under warranty of course but I'm damn close to giving up on this car. I've had 3 ALHs previously, and I knew this was a more complex car but I didn't think it would give me this much trouble. I'm thinking of selling it in the spring before the emissions warranty is up. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Bought my '14 GSW CPO 6spd in June of last year. In Canada, the 2 year warranty is most definitely NOT free; they wanted a couple grand for it. I passed. I figured that if unexpected repairs didn't total more than 2K in 2 years, I was ahead.

Well it was close. In the 40K kilometers (24K miles) I've had it, I've replaced the sway bar links (twice), the alternator clutch pulley, O-rings at the AC condenser (dealership wanted to replace the whole unit but my guru knew better), and the big one: the entire clutch assembly. It was only the slave cylinder that leaked, but it's inside the assembly unit, and the whole thing had to be replaced. $2300 I didn't budget for. Put a Sachs SMF unit in and it buzzes like a ***** now in 1st gear at part-throttle. It still only has 123K on it (76K miles).

Now the DPF needs replacing. That's under warranty of course but I'm damn close to giving up on this car. I've had 3 ALHs previously, and I knew this was a more complex car but I didn't think it would give me this much trouble. I'm thinking of selling it in the spring before the emissions warranty is up. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
I'm chewin on the thought too. I've had the intake manifold flap, the HPFP, the alternator, and now the immobilizer has me down and at the dealer (out of warranty too)....in about 35k miles of driving. I drive 100-200 miles a day, I drive a little aggressively maybe 20% of the time, but mostly just cruze. Sadly as a friend that has his dealers license advised me before I bought it, "No more German cars". He said "Yeah, they're fantastic...when they're under warranty, otherwise Japanese or Korean are just more reliable". The hybrids get as good as or better mpg's and with the electric torque, similar driving exp. I've got new German brakes, Neuspeed springs, and Koni FSD's waiting to be installed too. Kinda in a pickle over the VW experience😕

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
I'm chewin on the thought too. I've had the intake manifold flap, the HPFP, the alternator, and now the immobilizer has me down and at the dealer (out of warranty too)....in about 35k miles of driving. I drive 100-200 miles a day, I drive a little aggressively maybe 20% of the time, but mostly just cruze. Sadly as a friend that has his dealers license advised me before I bought it, "No more German cars". He said "Yeah, they're fantastic...when they're under warranty, otherwise Japanese or Korean are just more reliable". The hybrids get as good as or better mpg's and with the electric torque, similar driving exp. I've got new German brakes, Neuspeed springs, and Koni FSD's waiting to be installed too. Kinda in a pickle over the VW experience😕
Yeah, it's a drag. It's the perfect car for me...if only it would behave. I shouldn't speak too ill of it though...I will probably want to sell it on here. :)