New injector new filter?

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
So, my fuel filter has less than 1000 miles on it. I swapped for some new injectors recently, one of them was out of balance on the VCDS. I have a new injector pump on the way. question is shoold I switch a new fuel filter before replacing the injector ?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Why? There usually a 10k service!
Not questioning why your buying a all new fuel delivery system.... but why did you do all that?

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Well, hell idk where to start. Bear with me as I’m on my phone today. it’s a short story of why a well sorted TDI costs so much money…

This car is a nightmare. I almost hate this car lol At 187k it tried to kill itself and maybe me too. Let this be a lesson to those with less skill and time than me….never trust a seller when it comes to a TDI or any maintenance unless they can show you proof. Which is in part why I’ve documented my build

Sooooo, The first issue I discovered when I got this car 18 months ago besides bad g28 sensor is the Clutch. It was intermittently slipping. Then after changing the clutch, the new clutch was intermittently slipping too, snd I found the tandem pump was leaking down into the trans inspection port. Ordered the tandem pump and g28 up and then the car went down.

The diff Grenaded the trans. At least I had been using the car for door dash, at the time it was paint 30-40 an hour. So, luckily I made enough money to cover the cost of the car plus the trans.

Finally, I Got a trans with a bad reverse from a member on here (he did not lie but played stupid) so I had it rebuild with a wave track . I was bitten by the upgrade bug, that thing made it a new car to drive.

My old TDI had nozzles and a tune needed a turbo and retune I decided I needed a 200whp TDI. But had to settle for 180 where I’m still likely to blow the trans up again.

Anyway, when I got the car it had g28 sensor code but ran fine so I kinda ignored it for a little bit. it had symptoms of excess smoke on cold startup and it would fluctuate RPM for a minute or two only cold starts. Frost heater helped a little: so, I thought it was the g28 no big deal.

Yup then I changed it and the problem persisted. I was mystified and whatever it runs good gets decent MPG, but one day after sitting for a week the car had a out of smoke then it stumbled and died almost like it wanted to have a runaway. Turns out the cam was bad. Again, I need to run a compression test.

The plot thickens, while discovering the bad cam i realized the person I got the car from had lied to me. He said he worked at the dealer and got the car for a job, he said he changed the t belt ect. Well I discovered the WP leaking, so if he changed the belt al he did was put a new belt in and that’s it.

So after all that I called Armstrong VW as their marking is on the car and the Carfax said they had serviced the car. So According to dealer service history it had a run away and NOTHING had been done since and here I was having out 10k on it runs great. I still need to do a compression test. Anyone got the adapter ? I have a snap on gauge

So, committed to the cam shaft snd t belt job when I removed the rockers arms the nipple plunger on #3 had split in 2 pieces. I’m glad it stayed together while I was driving ! That would have taken me a while to diagnose! Also, based on the amount of blue smoke I had it start up I think the injectors seals were leaking.

Also, I discovered one of the lifters was different while the other 7 were black INA. Someone did something goofy to this car. The timing had been aligned you could tell by the red marks on the crank shaft and camshaft pulley, it also had red writing on injector #3 which was a funny blue color. I really wanted to replace the nozzles cuz Owain told me to get pd150 nozzles for my goal: and at this point I felt like relaxing the pumps was the wise thing to do as I wanna drive to florida from Washington and see my uncle.

Anyway, Aron at cascade sent me a budget stage 2 cam for the price of a normal cam and it was on. It was Christmas I was kinda depressed and needed something exciting to do. I mean, Here I had this POS wagon that I should have sold off snd let someone else discover the problem. Problem is I’m not that kind of guy

So why new fueling ? Well most of it was actually failed already as noted, and I was still just gonna replace the plunger in injector #3 and send it but the PO did so much **** work on the car. I thought and I want to have reliability. I don’t want to be on the side of interstate 84 changing parts like I have been in the past.injectors ordered (re man from Germany bosch dealer) I know you asked before so here ya go I just don’t wanna step on the vendors toes and I would hate to see vendors buy these and mark them up in price by double. When I should be doing that because I’m broke and I need money https://www.diesel-technik-biberach.de/

So, then after replacing the cam and tandem pump (did not install the injectors yet) I went to prime the pump with group 35. No noise. The lift pump had failed. So nee lift pump too. At that point I was feeling pretty good about replacing the whole fuel system LOL. The car is ready to go to 500k just gotta watch those shorty timing belts and probably cam shaft too. I was thinking maybe I’ll sell it when I’m done….haha for 10k hahah yeah right I’m stuck with this pig I could have some it for 6500 to 2 different people right after I did the timing belt, kinda wish I would have. I know that once I get the car done that I can get out on the road with it I’ll be really glad I have it. I have my dad in Idaho and a sister in Eastern OR. Also have a friend in birth Dakota and lots of family in Phili. I can be trapped in western wa it’s ****ing hell here! So in short the car was such a piece of **** from the previous owner I decided that in order to have maximum reliability the injectors needed to be replaced. Just based on what I had found while I was in there. Yeah, they were probably good to go but I like **** done right.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Why? There usually a 10k service!
Not questioning why your buying a all new fuel delivery system.... but why did you do all that?
I also thought it was common practice to change the fuel filter any time you change the fuel injectors in any vehicle. A small particle might get through and damage the new injectors

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I wish I had purchased stock in Fuel Filter Companies years ago ..................

The fuel filter doesn't catch "particles" then just dump them. When you are changing injectors do you really touch the filter? No, because it's over there mounted next to the fender,,,,,,, just sitting there. Further, the physical act of changing a filter is more likely to result in a "contaminant particle" getting into the system than just leaving it alone!

A fuel filter will improve in efficiency as it filters fuel ........ the more fuel that flows thru it the better it filters. Yes, there is a point where it becomes restrictive! However, that can be 100k miles or more! Believe it or not. My brother never changed the Original Fuel Filter on his 01 Jetta TDI until just past 171k miles with zero issues.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Wow. Good thing you DIY.
I always tell people to assume that 100% of what a seller said is a lie. Do everything to it when you buy it. Sux about the dif. I've been watching that other thread.. it's a nice car. Seems a bit of a lemon at first but thata how it goes sone times.
Leave the filter.
If you change it do not fill it. Prime it from the tank with suction.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
That car really tired to blow up at 187k ironically. It probably would have had a complete failure in the middle of know with this cars attitude.

Any way, I thought that I read somewhere that anytime you change injectors on a diesel you should change the filter because any small thing can get in there and damage the new and lubricated injector/ pumps in this case.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That car really tired to blow up at 187k ironically. It probably would have had a complete failure in the middle of know with this cars attitude.

Any way, I thought that I read somewhere that anytime you change injectors on a diesel you should change the filter because any small thing can get in there and damage the new and lubricated injector/ pumps in this case.
You are opening the pump side. So that makes no sence. Filter is before the work you are doing. You want to be as clean as possible sure.
Ear plugs make a great clean plug for lines. They dont degrade that fast in diesel. I've had my IP plugged for 2 weeks and they did fine!
Results may vary with the ones you get so test it first.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Wrll, some have said the filters aren’t the best, for sure the diesel is lower quality. So, it seems unlikely yet plausible something tiny could have gotten into the injector. Really tho, 5$ a gallon, We don’t even get a cetane rating?! ***

More than likely the pump just came bad. It happens…I guess. I think most likely it’s just the tolerances are poor from that supplier, but I am a little surprised because The web page I found for the company has a Bosch icon on it that indicates their bosch authorized service center. And they come well packaged, independently tested. I don’t fully understand stand em tho

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well here's hoping we can help you come to a better relationship with your TDI. They are really simple cars, yet different.
You do not need to change a filter after 1000 miles unless you contaminate the fuel somehow.
How far out was the balance? Those numbers are just the amount the ECU is adjusting to balance them out. Spec is -2.00 to +2.00, though new injectors we'd expect them to be within say 0.4. IDK what controls the fuel delivery on a PD, I do know they sometimes suffer from issues with the wiring harness.
How does PD injection work? | TDIClub Forums
How PD injection works - VW document | TDIClub Forums
VW TDI Search Engine

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I can’t search the answers to my questions , I’ve done a lot of it…If you seen my other posts above you would know that tho..
I rarely ask questions on the forums because well rarely are their answers lol.

Last edited: