New Guy - St. Louis Registration/Emissions Question

MOsierraJOE

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5-Speed
Hey,

New guy here. Been lurking on the forums for a while and looking to get a TDI.

My main question is as follows:

How is Missouri/St. Louis on emissions testing for TDI's? Will a car with a mufflerectomy and an EGR delete pass emissions like the car listed here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=406181

Is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying a TDI out of state as well?

Thanks for help.

spamlet

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta
The good news is that buying a car out of state isn't a big deal in Missouri. Just re-title it, pay your taxes, and you're good. You should take the car to a neutral third party to have it checked out though before purchasing.

The bad news is that I highly doubt that a TDi that has the exhaust messed with will pass environmental inspections. It says he has the original muffler so you'd probably have to put that back on before the car will pass inspection.

MOsierraJOE

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5-Speed
Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. And if I have any problems, I'll be sure to get a hold of you, oilhammer.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further into this. This will be my first TDI.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just a word of note: PLEASE don't come visit me AFTER you have a problem. I'd be glad to look the car over for you, even if you don't want me to do anything to it. It gets old pulling a 10+ year old car in here for the first time and grocery listing $3000+ worth of work that it needs. Often times, some of the stuff could have been avoided altogether, had it been caught sooner. Or at least, the cost could have been spread out over a wider span of time.

Too many times I get cars like that in here, only to hear "Yeah, I heard about you XXX months ago, but figured I'd wait until I had a problem to come visit".

Just like dentists don't want to see someone's nasty, rotten mouth every 10 years, auto techs don't really like to see a basket case either.

These cars are really good cars if cared for properly. If not.... well... :(