Need Help - AUDI A6 2.5 TDI OBD

Johnny-Ontario

TDI
Audi A 6 2.5 TDI
Hi,
is there somebody you can give me an answer how I can get an E-test here Ontario (London and area)?

I did import last week an AUDI 16 2.5 TDI from Germany. Production year 1997 (named here in Canada model 1998).

Safety I passed.

But now is a problem to get an E-test as the OBD-system is not communicating with the engine of my car.

And without E-test and can not get license plates. I do just have temporary ones.

In the report of OBD is mentioned: "Your Drive Clean test indicates there are problems with your emissions system. You need to repair these problems and than have your car retested before you can register, renew registration or sell your vehicle."

I guess it is only because their system is not communicating with my AUDI as the AUDI was never coming as a Diesel to North America.

What can I do?

Appreciate every answer.

Thanks
John

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta 1.9L TDI, 00 Jetta Alh and several others.
I don't know the car personally but they're most likely looking for readiness codes VIA OBD port. If they cant connect then you have this problem.

Id go at it in a couple steps
1: see if you can communicate with the obd port, if you can great if not dig in deeper
2: Contact some euro forums, they should know more about the car and also the OBD system.

My duramax had a stupid design where the cigarette lighter and the OBD fuse were tied into one. . blow the fuse and the OBD2 couldn't communicate may be a good idea to go over every fuse if your having communication problems.

Just my opinion.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Shoulda made sure it was registered as a 97... in north america all cars had to be odbII compliant in 96 and newer, Ontario drive clean for 98 and newer is odbII computer scan, 88-97 is just a sniff test.

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
You haft to scan it. OBD 2 is global. We have the diesel g-wagons at work that were only available in Canada in a gasser and I use my $30.00 princess auto scanner to read and clear the trouble codes,unless I haft to do prom work then I haft to fire up the star diagnostic(PITA) My guess is a blown fuse to your obd port.

Andrew

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Msg uberhare. He just went through it on his bus.
Problem with my bus was VIN related. It's older so a visual inspection was all it needed. No love at the MTO for Euro vins...The issue with this car is anything 98+ must be OBD compliant. Once he gets it to pass, then he'll have the other issue :D

VDUB TECH

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI , Audi TT TDI Q , 2013 Touareg TDI , 2006 Jetta TDI
That is most likely the case.

The Readiness function is only available on Engine Controllers that are OBD-II compliant (all 1996 and newer US-Model) or EOBD compliant (all 2001 and newer European-market models).

Non-US models and older TDIs may not support the Readiness function even though they are otherwise OBD-II compliant. OBD-I did not require any Readiness "monitors"

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I had an issue with my tuned MKIV where the tune was blocking the rediness code which the emissions computer was looking for. Ended up buying a stock ECM and swapping it out to get the test done.

Not sure if there's a way for the ministry to issue some kind of notification to bypass due to it being an import. There are imports being registered, so there must be a way to get it done. Might take some calling around to the Drive Clean program and see how to get around the issue.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
There is a a different Etest for 97's and earlier even if the have a ODB port. They need to train and pass a test that takes about fifteen minutes event when they mess it up. Thats what happen with 97 Passat. Try a Vagcom to get the readiness codes before you take it back just make sure it will communicate and that there aren't other issues.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
There is a a different Etest for 97's and earlier even if the have a ODB port. They need to train and pass a test that takes about fifteen minutes event when they mess it up. Thats what happen with 97 Passat. Try a Vagcom to get the readiness codes before you take it back just make sure it will communicate and that there aren't other issues.
His is a 98 not a 97. Must be an OBDII scan instead of the simpler procedure for the 97-88 cars.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
As the op said 97 produced "but" Canada branded it as a 98
That's because it is a '98 model year car. It was probably made too late in '97 and is considered as a "next year" model. No different than half the cars here. New models for 2016 are already out and we are still in 2015. This method is a total scam in my oppinion.