Myle Platinum brake rotors; rusting

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Meyle Platinum brake rotors; rusting

Well, looks like I need to try something else next time. Just installed this winter and they just started rusting.
I have the Fremax painted rotors on my wife's car. Need to see how they held up to this winter.
I'm also painting (Duplicolor caliper paint) my used Brembo 256 by 22's for use later this spring. De-rusted them using Evapo-rust.

Would be interested in what other brands and type people are using.

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
That's odd, maybe they've switched to a different material or manufacturer. I've had them on my car for 40k and no rust, and its salty up here!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's odd, maybe they've switched to a different material or manufacturer. I've had them on my car for 40k and no rust, and its salty up here!
Oh darn! I was disappointed but am glad to hear yours are fine.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Lito, I tried the Duplicolor caliper paint last year. It lasted 14 months. I thought I had a pretty thorough cleaning and prep, too. If there's a next time, I'll try a different brand.

I have the Meyle rotors, holding up ok after 2+ years.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, I tried the Duplicolor caliper paint last year. It lasted 14 months. I thought I had a pretty thorough cleaning and prep, too. If there's a next time, I'll try a different brand.

I have the Meyle rotors, holding up ok after 2+ years.
Thanks for the feedback on the paint and rotors. Nice to know, good information.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just put on Zimmerman's on the fronts of my car. No way they'll end up looking like what was replaced- the originals looked like something from an old shipwreck! One of my pads actually had separated, and others were looking to do the same. Car was from Minnesota...

I care more about functionality. So far I am very happy with my new rotors and pads (Akebono).

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think my front rotors are Zimmerman now. On the back are the Meyle with Akebono.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just a quick update, ECS is blaming it on brake dust? So, this is the last pair of rotors I buy from ECS tuning.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Zimmerman coated rotors work fantastic. Couple them with ceramic pads and call it good.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
...ECS is blaming it on brake dust?...
That is ridiculous :rolleyes:
They offer good quality products for the most part but I doubt I'd ever order from them due to these type of reports. I'd add your experience to the Vendor Accountability Thread

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You can let ECS know I didn't get those rotors two days ago because of your thread.

Rolling the dice with Autozones Duralast Golds.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Meyle...

Says it all right there. Just wait until they warp.

Rusting due to brake dust? Oh man, that's just too funny! Maybe that would work at Autozone, but not in the real world.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys, I thought so too.

Thanks for the suggestions I've had Zimmerman rotors before they coated them and besides the rust I liked them very much.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Metallic pads could have a lot to do with the rusty rotor problem. Depending on the pad material it could react with the rotor material and cause more rust. I think ceramic pads will give the best results as far as rust goes. The only drawback that I have read about for ceramics is the lack of initial stopping power.
BTW I have zimmerman rotors on the rear and they came thru a NE winter looking good.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
All the while us in the Southern states (even without coated rotors) ask.... what's this rust you speak of?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I have Powerstop slotted and cross drilled rotors and Evolution ceramic pads on for a year. No rust or warping and still will stand up on its nose. Love my choice.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have Powerstop slotted and cross drilled rotors and Evolution ceramic pads on for a year. No rust or warping and still will stand up on its nose. Love my choice.
Just gave me a thought that maybe it would be "cool" to start a thread about braking performance, something that actually contains measurable numbers. My UltraGauge II is supposed to be able to measure stopping distances, though I haven't tried it out (heck, I was wanting to try 0-60 out to compare both my cars).

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I have to remember when driving my wife's "03 vert. that it takes more time to stop because it still has factory brakes on it. When it needs new pads it will get these rotors and ceramic pads as well.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Weird that ECS would say that. I have been using the ECS GEOMET rotors on the rear with EBC Redstuff pads and they have done very well even in the wet of the PNW!
NO RUST, just a bit of dust...