My golf jumped timing

Onebigspooliboi

TDI
2003 GLS ALH
So, I own a 2003 golf ALH and it jumped timing. I was just curious as to what damage to expect. I haven’t had a chance to take the block apart, and I’m kind of scared to because it was my baby.
Do you guys have any suggestions? How much damage do you think there would be?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You posted this in the wrong section of the forum; this is for "conversions" - which is to put a TDI engine into like a Suzuki or something.
You'll probably get better responses in the dedicated "MkIV" sub-forum.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When did this forum change from the " VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) " listed up top?? ☺

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
How long the motor continue to rotate after this event.

If you're lucky, you only have damaged valves and followers.

Remove the cam and note that the lifters are probably damaged and the exhaust valves are probably mushroomed but not necessarily bent since their axis is parallel to the pistons.

Should remove the head for a look and check of the piston heights.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
When did this forum change from the " VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) " listed up top?? ☺
I'm going to guess it was sometime between Thursday at 5:06pm and Saturday at 7:44pm.
(Trust me: It was initially in the CONVERSIONS forum....not only did the OP get moved by an admin, but my benevolent and considerate reply did as well. :p)

To reply to the post...no way to tell from outside (or from someone else's keyboard); you're gonna have to pull the head and take a look.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Before you pull it all apart. Are you absolutely sure it jumped time? Did you set everything back to TDC? Does the pump, crank and cam line up? Or not? Are teeth stripped off the timing belt? You won’t be happy with yourself if you get it all apart and it turns out you guessed wrong.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
So, I own a 2003 golf ALH and it jumped timing. I was just curious as to what damage to expect. I haven’t had a chance to take the block apart, and I’m kind of scared to because it was my baby.
Do you guys have any suggestions? How much damage do you think there would be?
If it was your "baby" you will have records of the last TB change and was it currently past due??
Regardless, we need more info as to it the belt stripped, slipped, broke or how you have determined the timed has "jumped".
If it is obvious that the timing has been compromised the valve cover comes off and a careful inspection of the lifters will show if there has been valve/piston contact. Bulges, spider wed cracks almost always on the exhaust valve lifters are the signs. Any indications means the head comes off and a call to "Franko6" is in order asap.
Ignored or botched together will make it run again-for a while, until the compromised valve stem breaks and drops into the cylinder destroying the engine.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If there was interference contact, you need to open it up as noted above. If you're fairly sure there was no contact you may be O.K. If you're not sure, best remove the valve cover and oil pan and carefully inspect things.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Same, ran rough, loud, then eased in, stutter @ 1800rpm in a 2002 216k bug, I’m a new owner. Ran her down to E light, could be fuel filter, trans fluid, could be the belt. Gitr towed tomorrow morning

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
zaeli- Don't just post anything anywhere. This is a thread by Onebigspooliboi about an engine that jumped time. You may want to find a thread like your issues or start anew. We'll try to help.