on fuel consumption.
well I did my first experiment.
I did three trips on one tank full.
first 300 k's was city
the next 900 k's was high way
What I did was shift at the max torque
at 2,000 rpm's
at all times
PS I had the car loaded and full to capasity with four people.

Results:
1183 km traveled
50 litres of fuel consumed
My calc's at 67.3 mpg
or 23.68 km to every ltre

Im going to try a long highway trip with just my self and peek out a driving record.
PSS i change my filter every 5,000 k's
Ive got 19, k's on this buggy so far.
So imagine if I can get this kind of millage
now think what I could do when it breaks in!?

So read em and WEEP SKY pup,,,,,,,,
AND WILL YOU GUYS GET THE CONVERSION RIGHT
FOR A CHANGE

MY CONVERSION GOES AS FOLLOWS
AS PER OUR MINSITRY OF WEIGHTS AND MESSURES

ONE US MILE EQUALLS TO 1.6 KM
ONE US GALLON EQUALL TO 4.55 LITRES OF FUEL

So If im wrong prove it to me and Ill correct the statement un till live with it guys,

So SKY PUP?

Tazz

JS SMKN

Olli

Veteran Member
Tazz,

There are 3.785 liters in a US gallon and 4.546 liters in an IMPERIAL gallon.

Olli

S

SkyPup

Darn, the only conversion we need is to change TAZZ's citizenship from Canadian to American, so that we could become the proud owner of the North American TDI mileage record. That simple conversion would be the easiest way to get that prized record down south of the border without involving the use of military force.
Of course, if it is discovered that TAZZ has been been winning due to faulty mathematical conversions on his behalf, then we'll just have to take that record away from him after all.
I'm taking my caluclator and the National Bureau of Standards records and checking out those conversions to make sure TAZZ hasn't been putting his JIVE all over us.

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD JETTA TDI MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
With only 2500 miles on my TDI GL Golf I am gettin about 45 mpg. granted the car isn't "broken in" yet, but I was expecting a little higher.

The 45 is based on two tanks of fuel.
AC running 70% of the time
Slightly heavy foot (after the first 1000miles)
With a 148 mile round trip commute that is made up of a 70mph speed limit section for the first 20 minutes, a 55mph section for 20 minutes and then 20 minutes with a 70 mph.
In the 70 zones I try to keep the cruise at 74-75mph, and in the 55 zones I keep it at about 63-65.

The RPMs hang out at around 2600 in the faster sections and 2400 in the slower sections.

I need to fill up the car soon. Gonna try some BP diesel (I have the choice of 8 stations between work and home, price varies from 1.05 - 1.25) (it would help if I had a #2 permit, it would save 5-10 cents a gallon at some stations).
This last tank the weather has been cool enough to run the whole tank w/o AC, I am eager to see what improvements I will see in the MPG.

Is there a gear mod or change that I can do to lower my RPM/increase MPG? My Volvo has a nice true overdrive that lets the '86 still get 30mpg cruising at 70, I would love to have something like that for the GOLF.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Who will be second to break 68 mpg? 68.6 (or 3.42 l/100km) for a 348.5 mile trip that used 5.08 gallons. I honestly think that I can improve on this, but there is little chance of matching the Lupo consumption figures in my Passat.

------------------
Jonathan Bartlett

lundgrji

Multiply kilometers by 0.6214 to get miles.
Multiply liters by .2642 to get gallons (U.S.). Or, as stated, there are 3.785 liters per gallon.

Tazz, you achieved a very respectable 55.5 mpg with a fully loaded vehicle.

My best MPG was 60.6 mpg driving 55-60 mph, with A/C on 80% of the time. Gentle headwind for 150 miles, and gentle tail/cross wind for 700 miles. Drove 848 miles on 13.994 gallons. The 98 NB TDI was loaded with 2 people, luggage and camping gear for a 2 week trip. Oh, and the Coleman electically powered cooler was plugged in the whole time, which uses about 5 amps, or almost 1/10 of a horsepower! Tires were pumped up to 44psi.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
To follow up on GeWilli- is that 6-speed that Autotech offers just a close ratio gearbox, or would 6th gear be an overdrive? My Passat runs about 28.5 miles per 1000rpm in 5th gear. If 6th even gave 35mph per 1000rpm, the car would be capable of even higher trip fuel economy, OR awesome high speed cruising ability. I know MICKEY will have the answer!!

M

mickey

GeWilli: Taller tires would raise your effective final drive ratio, at the expense of your speedometer accuracy. Make sure they're the same width, though, or you'll partially defeat the purpose by causing more aerodynamic drag.

BB: Your confidence in me is inspiring, but I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'm sure the 6th gear would be taller than our current 5th is. In fact, I think that Quaife (sp?) just adds a 6th to your existing box in their simplest (and least expensive) upgrade. The TDI cars can easily pull another gear on the highway. But if maximum fuel economy is your goal, the modification would be strictly an academic exercise. A 6-speed costs several thousand dollars. More, in fact, than you'll spend on diesel fuel for most of the life of your car! It would be fun, though.

-mickey

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the comments. There is a company that makes/modifies the transmission to a 6sp gear box? Are they on-line? (so I can check it out at work).

Cost is the factor. Right now I am getting 47 mpg (US). That is keeping my commute to one hour + 5 or 10 minutes, I could slow down but it is about 75 miles one way, but that wouldn't be any fun.

I did a quick calc, starting with the price of Diesel here at 1.10 (avg)
my base fuel consumption now is 47 mpg or 15.96 gallons/week.
if I can increase my mpg to 54 mpg I can reduce consumption by 2.07 gallons/week.
over a 48 week work year (factor days off and other car) I could save 99.36 gallons/year during the commute.
That translates into only $109.30 savings/year.

I think I may just live with the mpgs for now.

Just thought of another question... Hoping someone might have an answer:

Is the transmission the same in the US as in Europe? IF not, I would ass/u/me that the european gear box would be slightly taller than the US version . . . Leading me to the thought hey couldn't I just trade my transmission in for the Euro version. . .

I have been thinking alot in the car during my commute, maybe I need a Voice activated computer and a cellular ISBN line in the car. . .

[This message has been edited by GeWilli (edited August 10, 1999).]

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Mickey: Spending several thousand dollars is a small price to pay to bring the fuel economy trophy back to Pennsylvania and defeat JONATHAN BARTLETT!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow up on gear/final drive ratios:

I checked this morning, and in 5th gear with the RPM solidly at 1000 I am going 30 mph exactly. I am not complaining too much, maybe I'll just start getting up earlier and driving more slowly to get here and save mileage.

Mitch

TDI
98 New Beetle / 03 Beetle DSG
I had some disappointing results from my last experiment too. I attempted to stay below 2000 rpm and 58 mph on the interstates (70mph limits, it was scary). I drove allot more city driving than normal and had the car serviced for repairs twice.

I went 735.5 miles on 14 gallons of fuel for 52.53 mpg
I still think it is in the fuel, I will see at the end of the month when I drive through Canada again. The fuel in the south just has too many "grits"

Mitch

98 NB TDI w/ very high drag coefficient

Sooty

Veteran Member
Mickey, Quaife’s 6 gear kit replaces 3rd, 4th 5th and 6th gears. 6th has a lower ration than the standard 5th gear, its designed for acceleration not economy.

Gewilli, try www.quaife.co.uk

They do kits for the O2A & O2J gear boxes.

------------------