MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Second fill up. 40 MPG on the nose. Around 37 Avg speed indicated MFI, 42.7 MPG indicated for the tank, MFI

70 hwy / 30 city. 150 mile round trip (or so) to sandbridge park, so thats mostly highway.

Had some pretty good runs of highway on this tank. 44-45 mpg seems out of reach for me in this car at this point, given where I drive.

I suspect this is the best I will see in this car, unless I am on a pure road trip. I don't know what the break in point is, (if any) where people start to get more mpg in a 2015 / EA288.

This was using 3oz opti lube XPD as well.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I can almost bet that my 18" VW / Ronals weigh less than VW's 17" stockers that come on the SE, and the 18" OEM wheel on the SE.
Go ahead and measure it.... you rims weigh more, for equal designs. There
are many threads here and the 16" rim is less weight than 18". Go to a 16"
stamped steel a lot less and fuel econ goes up.

It is also universally recognized that bigger rims does not equal better fuel
economy overall, with the exception of may be you and your super light
rims. Believe as you like, but this has been shown over and over. I suppose
if you have a super light design rim great, but then it is weak and likely
subject to damage from pot holes..... My friend has wrecked two rims.... he
had one straightened. I am sorry I don't think 18" or bigger is better. The
18" might handle turns better (less side wall flex).... but that is about it,
besides looks. That is a matter of taste of course.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
for a better ride a shorter rim with taller skinnier tires give better fuel economy and usually longer service life. I never corner at a speed high enough for a really big rim with a painted tire to figure into control. I bet most drivers are this way......

Give me a set of 15s with 205/75s any day, softer ride which reduces suspension wear & tear and gives better mpgs many more miles in the service life ...I have a set of Michelin Xs that are still almost in new condition after ~5 years and 50k miles clocked on them.....

You can keep those 17s, 18s & 19s+ for the track as far as I am concerned they useless in everyday driving conditions @ legal speeds......

Borsig

TDI
I like hw I end up with lower mpg than anyone else.

No matter what I do - its 39-40

Bueller

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL

Mine has matched the post above. I saw a high of 55.7, but that was only for a short period of time. I've seen 54 + on the display over a 65 mile trip, 85% highway. Though the display is optimistic, I'd be surprised if I got anything less than upper 40's on what will be my new commute starting in August.

Looking at your Fuelly data, you are driving a DSG with 50% + city driving on average. That probably explains almost all of the difference.

Zut Alors!

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen

You're in a wagon though--more mass for the TDI to lug around. Your Fuelly numbers closely match mine. Sitting in the city kills the mpg on this car so brutally... :(

Borsig

TDI
its not the fact its a wagon. Its the fact there are so many stoplights on my "highway" commute. And so many people to "share" the road with.

Wheats

TDI
mk7 Golf
I guess the dealer really filled the tank, because i almost hit 1000kms to my first tank. Consumption was 4.0 avg L/100. Im pretty much 95% highway tho. Second tank is not looking as good but i have been doing some "spirited" on ramp runs.

quattrothatcould

TDI
MkVII Golf TDI
Took our TDI on its first road trip last week, went from PA to Cape Cod and back. Averaged 51.7 mpg going up (car calculated, 65-70 mph), 53.1 mpg coming back (car calculated, 70-75 mph) (just on those segments, not the entire tank). Around town driving brought both those tanks down to ~47 mpg (hand calculated). We put ~1200 miles on it over the course of a week; 3200 miles on the odometer now, so I guess we're still breaking it in, but this car/engine is awesome.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I'm seeing a 3-4 mpg lift in general over my previous JSW TDI 6MT over the same routes.

It varies from high 30s up over 50mpg if I hair cut a couple MPG off the trip computer. My first fill up hand calc'd was 47 mpg, whereas my first fill up with the JSW was 41 mpg.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I'm seeing a 3-4 mpg lift in general over my previous JSW TDI 6MT over the same routes.

It varies from high 30s up over 50mpg if I hair cut a couple MPG off the trip computer. My first fill up hand calc'd was 47 mpg, whereas my first fill up with the JSW was 41 mpg.
Thanks! This is a good comp, same driver, same route. Keep us posted!

Borsig

TDI
my fuel ups are pretty much coming in dead nuts over the last two times.

39.1, 39.2 given the same staion, and same XPD dosing, which I think is doing nothing for my FE. Data over time will tell

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
I purchased our 2015 Golf TDI Tuesday night and drove it yesterday for work and now have a little over 500 miles on the car. The Golf gets a few more mpg then my 2011 JSW. It also feels roomier. I love the car. Bought it for my wife and when she gets back in town I will be back in my JSW. To me it has less blind spots then my JSW as well.

f0rum

TDI
2015 GSW
Have 5100 miles on my car in the last few months. Averaging right around 40 doing the calculations myself. High of 43mpg and a low of 38mpg, The computer lies by about 5mpg most of the time. Doesn't change much between city and highway in my experience, although with 75mph speed limits on most of the highways around here I kind of wish 6th was a bit longer.

Borsig

TDI
The roof box is a HUGE hit on MPG. full highway run only yielded around 36mpg.

That trends as a 10mpg hit for the roof box alone.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT

My measured MPG is pretty much consistently that same number as well. I have just shy of 4k on it. I've been trying to wind most of the lower gears out to 3k to help break it in (Not helping matters) but when I baby it by shifting as soon as reasonably possible, I can hit 52-55mpg measured and bring the tank up several MPG's. I'm sure if I can keep my speed to 65mph on a mostly highway trip, I can see 50mpg.

And agree 100%: so much traffic in our area that it's difficult to maintain a steady speed for maximizing mileage between traffic lights that trigger as soon as a car comes to the light and pokey drivers not paying attention!

b7g

TDI
mk7
I wanted to share since it was so impressive...

13k miles on the car. It is manual transmission, lowered on vwr springs.

Twice now, I hit 603 mile per tank. This is the trip computer dropping to 0 miles left, after which I get fuel. Both filled up with just over 12 gallons. The road is 50% at 40 mph and 50% at 70 mph.

The car's system is showing 54.5 long term average which is mind blowing even if slightly off. The car also consistently reaches 60 mpg since start avarages on that same stretch of the road.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Bit of a rough tank this week. I had a couple trips come in well below their typical mpg. I was thinking it was heat and humidity or something, but then I had a couple regens in short succession, both of which were unfortunately interrupted. One was Monday, one was today, with about 100 miles in between.

I'm suspecting maybe a questionable batch of fuel (used a different station than normal). Otherwise I can't think of a reason for the low-ish mpg and more frequent than normal regens.

Anyone else experienced a rough patch like this?

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
I filled up with Shell Diesel yesterday and fuel gauge still reads full with 70 miles driven since. I saw 52 mpg average on the computer, plus Computer informs me I'll get 560 miles on full tank.

Looking forward to that.

b7g

TDI
mk7
Check your tire preasure. It may be low.

Bit of a rough tank this week. I had a couple trips come in well below their typical mpg. I was thinking it was heat and humidity or something, but then I had a couple regens in short succession, both of which were unfortunately interrupted. One was Monday, one was today, with about 100 miles in between.

I'm suspecting maybe a questionable batch of fuel (used a different station than normal). Otherwise I can't think of a reason for the low-ish mpg and more frequent than normal regens.

Anyone else experienced a rough patch like this?

neuronaut

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I have been a bit disappointed with the mileage that I have been getting so far on my 2015 6MT Sportwagen. My driving is probably under the worst conditions for the car: 90/10 city/highway and usually quite short trips. Additionally, I have been running the AC. There are only 450 or so miles on the wagon, but I have only been averaging 27mpg and I seem to be going through the tank incredibly quickly (refilled at half a tank, but it was only 140 miles). Is this normal for my driving conditions or is this something I should be concerned about? I have been shifting according to the dash indicator and driving a good deal easier than I am used to in order to try to minimize fuel consumption.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I can never drive even close to all hwy for a full tank.

But with a tank into which I put in every last drop, I was able to get 530 km (330 miles) when the indicator was at the 1/2 tank mark on the gauge.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
I have been a bit disappointed with the mileage that I have been getting so far on my 2015 6MT Sportwagen. My driving is probably under the worst conditions for the car: 90/10 city/highway and usually quite short trips. Additionally, I have been running the AC. There are only 450 or so miles on the wagon, but I have only been averaging 27mpg and I seem to be going through the tank incredibly quickly (refilled at half a tank, but it was only 140 miles). Is this normal for my driving conditions or is this something I should be concerned about? I have been shifting according to the dash indicator and driving a good deal easier than I am used to in order to try to minimize fuel consumption.
I don't think your numbers are unreasonable for the conditions you describe. It takes a lot of fuel to warm up the engine, and yours probably never even gets warmed up all the way, assuming each trip might only be a couple of miles. Before drawing any conclusions, maybe take a longer trip and see how it does. I think one of the trip meters should reset (mine does) for every trip (after the car has been parked for at least two hours), that would make it pretty easy to evaluate.

neuronaut

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I don't think your numbers are unreasonable for the conditions you describe. It takes a lot of fuel to warm up the engine, and yours probably never even gets warmed up all the way, assuming each trip might only be a couple of miles. Before drawing any conclusions, maybe take a longer trip and see how it does. I think one of the trip meters should reset (mine does) for every trip (after the car has been parked for at least two hours), that would make it pretty easy to evaluate.
I should have held off on posting until after a trip I had planned. Averaged 54mpg according to the computer and 49-50mpg calculated cruising 65-75mph on a 700 mile road trip. Could not be happier! Guess that my daily driving conditions are simply not ideal for the diesel.