MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

guscost

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
That is monstrous.

Yeah, don't think I'll see 600+ mile tanks too often but considering the size of the tank that's pretty darn good.

The other day I got 40+ mpg on local roads, at least based on the computer (subtracting 7% or so). Avoided mashing the pedals and didn't hit too many lights but nothing special. Really impressive engine, better efficiency than I was expecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I should have held off on posting until after a trip I had planned. Averaged 54mpg according to the computer and 49-50mpg calculated cruising 65-75mph on a 700 mile road trip. Could not be happier! Guess that my daily driving conditions are simply not ideal for the diesel.
Yep, sounds about right. I'm continuously amazed how a car that's capable of ~56 mpg on highway trips can only return ~26 mpg on certain short, slow, stop-and-go drives.

John Kuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 red JSW TDI base model
Yep, sounds about right. I'm continuously amazed how a car that's capable of ~56 mpg on highway trips can only return ~26 mpg on certain short, slow, stop-and-go drives.
Compared to a hybrid like a Prius, the VW is much heavier, and in the stop and go traffic doesn't recover any of the energy required to get up to speed. Also, I don't know for sure, but I bet the block assembly of the 2 liter diesel has a lot more mass than the Prius gas engine, which means a lot more BTU's wasted warming up all that metal.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I agree with the warm-up energy argument and, of course, I agree on the regenerative braking point. As for total weight, there isn't much difference (Prius 3072 lbs, Golf DSG 3126).

I wasn't really complaining per se, simply musing that the car is SO efficient on the highway.

One other note re. braking. I thought I read at one point that the Mk7 Golf had not-quite-regenerative braking. Something along the lines of the computer monitoring the battery's state of charge, and increasing (when braking) or reducing the alternator voltage, or even shutting the alternator down (when accelerating or steady-state), thus optimizing the parasitic load on the engine. However, I haven't been able to re-locate the reference to that feature.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I just finished up another really good tank.
Things were looking promising half way through. This caught my eye. (350/350)

Low fuel light came on at 606 mi.

659 miles with 20 estimated remaining when I refueled. $2.28/gal which is very good price around here.

659 miles for under $28 in fuel costs makes me happy!

This tank was not all easy miles. A little hot rodding. Some heavy traffic in Nicholasville/Lexington KY and Northern KY coming into Cincy and the 275 loop. A few road closures in Southern Indiana. Some drafting makes up for some of the negatives. Usually 60-70mph 2-3 car lengths back.

I'm always suprised how this car can do good mpg in heavy traffic. It takes more effort but leaving some space does wonders.

lalyde

TDI
2015 VW GSW MT TDI
I just bought a 2015 gsw. I am pretty excited that I got 52 mpg on my way home yesterday. I know the car may calculate on the high side but for <200 miles on the car I am pretty excited!

Bueller

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL
Now that I have nearly 2000 miles on my '15 SEL 6M and have run a few tanks through it I'm getting a picture of the disparity between real mpg and the computer. In measured and repeatable terms I'm getting 44-45 mpg combined city/hwy (30%/70%). This is with pretty spirited driving in mostly heavy traffic, so lots of stop & go followed by stretches at up to 80 mph. The mpg reading on the display by trip is significantly optimistic and will read between 50 - 54 mpg depending on the day and whether or not I use A/C. The longer term reading since fill up reads 47 - 47.5, while so far the extended period is the closest to true mileage at 45.3.
I'm going to make a concerted attempt to slow down a little and see what happens.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Had about a 320 mile round trip excursion on Saturday. Computer read 55.3 mpg.

This prompted me to update something I looked at and posted a while back in the "Are 2015 models worth it?" thread.

From the Fuelly data, filtered for the diesel engine, here is the average MPG for the last 4 model year of Golfs (as of yesterday afternoon):
2012: 38.85 MPG
2013: 39.53 MPG
2014: 38.08 MPG
2015: 41.66 MPG

Good job everyone!

Agreene

TDI
2015 Golf tdi 6m Silk Blue
@2800

So I have had my Golf 6m for about 5 weeks and averaging 51+ calculated mpg, the display shows me closer to 56, really happy with it overall.
Was showing my boss the display mpg of 61 for my commute this morning, now he's trading his Ford C-max hybrid!

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
While my 2015 Golf TDI is in for a new A/C compressor (Warranty), I'm driving a Jetta w/gas engine with turbo that's struggling to give me 21MPG city driving...:mad:

My TDI give me 35MPG city/50 highway.....AND, in Tucson D2 is now cheaper than RUG.....:D

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
How in the world are you guys getting 50+mpg??
What are you getting? What's your typical driving like?

In this thread, people report 50+ for certain periods of time, as shown on the computer. If you check out fuelly, there are very few cars with hand-calculated lifetime averages over 50.

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
I have a 2015 golf tdi S model. 50 mile round trip daily commute and the occasional 200 miler on the weekends.
I keep it under 70mph for the most part and I really take it easy on the streets. No hard accelerations and try and limit braking by rolling to stops and traffic lights. Averaging 42mpg my car says. Still awesome mpg!

Last edited:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I have a 2015 golf tdi S model. 50 mile round trip daily commute and the occasional 200 miler on the weekends.
I keep it under 70mph for the most part and I really take it easy on the streets. No hard accelerations and try and limit braking by rolling to stops and traffic lights. Averaging 42mpg my car says. Still awesome mpg!
Yeah, any significant amount of non highway miles really keeps you from achieving the best of of best mpg numbers. Do you have a manual or DSG?

The fuel economy also will tick up as the engine breaks in.

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
DSG. Ok that's great news about the engine breaking in! I only have 200 miles on the car so far but I am planning on driving quite a bit on it so 50mpg would be a god send! I'm driving road too so got it.

Last edited:

Agreene

TDI
2015 Golf tdi 6m Silk Blue
Parked

So blew my left knee out, no driving the three pedal::mad::(.
But my mileage was calculated not off the display, 25 mile one way about half on highway commute. It has dropped about 1-1.5 since I was driving it a bit harder when the desire hits:cool:

Last edited:

drew1202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Nice to see another member in So Cal, Im in the Temecula/Murrieta area, Chino Hills is a great area!

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
I'm about to leave on a 1000km drive with a 4x8 trailer attached, I'm interested to see how much it will affect fuel mileage. It'll be empty for half the drive and loaded on the way back.

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
Nice to see another member in So Cal, Im in the Temecula/Murrieta area, Chino Hills is a great area!
Cheers!

I'm about to leave on a 1000km drive with a 4x8 trailer attached, I'm interested to see how much it will affect fuel mileage. It'll be empty for half the drive and loaded on the way back.
Let us know the specifics of trailer weight, mpg and how the trip goes. Have fun!:D

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
How in the world are you guys getting 50+mpg??
Up to 50 mph (approximately) the brake pedal is the inverse fuel mileage pedal.
Don't touch the brakes. Keep in highest gear while slowing down, etc.

Above 50, it's simple, don't do it. And if you are gonna do it, there is a mpg penalty for every mph/kph above it. Less penalty when you're a few car lengths behind a large van, box truck or semi. That whole exponential resistance thing can be such a drag.

Notice I didn't say much about the accelerator pedal.

I bet this car would get 60+ mpg at steady state 50mph.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I can get really good MPGs with my GSW 6MT, but now I can feel the engine breaking in with 3k miles and I know the sweet spot well now where max torque and horsepower overlap, so I'm having way too much fun to care what the economy is :), tho I'm sure it's respectable because I was averaging 41 mpg to 44 mpg per fill up calculated by hand for my first few tanks. I may go Malone stage 2 next year or I may not... not sure yet.

One thing I have discovered by accident is when I rev the engine in first waiting for the light to change with the clutch in, the turbo spools up and have to be careful, cause the car takes off when I let the clutch out. I'm sure it's not good for the clutch, but it's kind of fun.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
New owner and it's suckin not sippin. Keeping the rev's between 2500-3800. 4th gear an the hwy @ 70mph.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
New owner and it's suckin not sippin. Keeping the rev's between 2500-3800. 4th gear an the hwy @ 70mph.
@ 70mph I'm barely turning 2k in 6th gear
@ 80mph I'm 21xx in 6th gear

I would recommend trying the other gears in your 6spd

Are trying some absurd "break-in" process as I have seen posted here that even the manufacturers (those to design the product) do not recommend?

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
So it not bad to lope down the highway? I've been trying to keep the rev's above 2500.