Moving from '05 Passat to '13 - a few questions

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Ah...c'mon, VeeDubTDI...you're no fun...this whole club has turned into speculation and confusion...sheesh...:p

Isn't ANYTHING above atmospheric pressure considered "high pressure"?:D:D:D:D

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I've had both, sold my B5.5 to 50harleyrider (he had more than one) at 320k miles. It was a "solid" car. Did the BSM (after mine failed), and all the "regular" stuff. Really pretty problem free.

I'm 6'1" and haven't had issues with my knee on the tunnel. In fact, I find it more comfortable than the B5.5, but then again the suspension (and drivers seat) was pretty worn at 300k+ miles. I have 23k miles on my '12 that I bought in September and even though it's slightly less "solid", I'm enjoying it much more. Bigger, modern features, higher mpgs. There were a few posters here that have over 70k miles with no turbo issues. I'm not too worried about it. It's not a "certainty" like the BSM issue.

I'm satisfied with the DSG, but I drive 99% highway. Not much shifting going on. The 40k mile DSG services aren't cheap, but that's OK.
I wonder if your SEL has a differernt tunnel shape than my SE? I guess I'll glue a pad on mine.
As for the turbo failures, that's what warranties are for. Good to hear no problems at 23k. I'm at 1.5k. No salt on my baby.

Last edited:

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
I currently have a B5.5 and I have been through the 'challenges' that present themselves. I am currently trying to decide if I should move into a new model - and are some of the old gremlins still there? Is the BSM still part of the mix in the new automatics? Does the new engine require exhaust fluid? (I have seen mentions of urea in the maintenance posts). I am trying to figure these things out before I step foot onto the floor of a showroom.
This is an updated status of why this thread was started.....
I have decided to 'fix' the 2005 Wagon based on responses here and from the B5 forum. To define 'fix' means to replace the auto transmission with a 5 speed manual and eliminate the Balance Shaft Module found int the US B5. I am hoping this will reveal the car that I fell in love with in 2003 in Germany. I came back to the states and went straight to VW and told them I wanted one. The salesperson thought I was out of my mind when I told them I wanted to buy one - there on the spot. His manager had to explain to the salesperson that - yes - there is a tdi passat in Europe - and it would be sold in the US in 2004. I was confused and disappointed when they told me it was automatic and ONLY automatic.
I seriously considered the new version, realizing that most post (here) are due to problems - you never hear from those who are doing well......
I want to than all that have taken the time to reply to my question. I am not sure how the thread became a mix of fuel pump comments, but all is good.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
This is an updated status of why this thread was started.....
I have decided to 'fix' the 2005 Wagon based on responses here and from the B5 forum. To define 'fix' means to replace the auto transmission with a 5 speed manual and eliminate the Balance Shaft Module found int the US B5. I am hoping this will reveal the car that I fell in love with in 2003 in Germany. I came back to the states and went straight to VW and told them I wanted one. The salesperson thought I was out of my mind when I told them I wanted to buy one - there on the spot. His manager had to explain to the salesperson that - yes - there is a tdi passat in Europe - and it would be sold in the US in 2004. I was confused and disappointed when they told me it was automatic and ONLY automatic.
I seriously considered the new version, realizing that most post (here) are due to problems - you never hear from those who are doing well......
I want to than all that have taken the time to reply to my question. I am not sure how the thread became a mix of fuel pump comments, but all is good.
one of the best decisions you will make, and never regret

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Passat'n Adventure said:
You haven't been reading very much, then. Most of us are extremely happy with our new Passats.

Good luck on the B5, though - they're very nice cars, albiet money pits.

You are definitely going the right route with the manual transmission instead of another automatic, which will make it a totally different (and awesome) machine. :cool:

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
An update to this post after 9.5 years..... I am glad I stuck with the wagon. I met a great person in SC that did the swap and BSM Delete - and been a great advisor since. I am running at 497,500K miles and looking to hit the magic 500 before having to change out my 5 speed box for another one.
The car has been a solid car that still drives well. I love this forum and still receive updates regularly.

ugenetoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 03 wagons one 03 sedan All manual TDIs
Ha!
Good on you.
in 2021, I found a 2013 Passat TDI SEL for a fair price and 90K on the clock.
Started having problems with emissions at about 105K, which started out as a 200 miles to no start that immediately changed to 50 miles to no start.
Took it to the dealer for the warranty work.
Dealer said it was poor quality DEF because it tested out to 32.5% urea, so was charged $400.
Worked for a couple of months and then pretty much same scenario with 15 miles to no start when we drove in the dealer yard.
They changed sensors, and who knows what and when I went to pick it up, I asked the manager just what exactly the parameters were on DEF fluid.
He told me he didn't know, but it clearly stated that it was out of spec.
I asked him again about the DEF specs AGAIN and he disappeared for 15 minutes.
When he returned he sheepishly said the $400 check would be in the mail.
DEF urea concentration parameters are between 30 and 35%.
So, another 100 miles back home, and stopped a few miles to visit some friends.
When I tried to start, to go home, EMMISIONS FAILURE ... NO START.
It's been a month now with the car sitting on their lot waiting for parts.
Meanwhile, we've been riding in a tin can Nissan Kicks they provided for a loaner.
Next week, I'll be demanding a bigger car similar to the Passat to replace this roller-skate they gave us.
Oh well, at least it hasn't left us anywhere.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
^ After you get the dealer to replace a whole bunch of parts under warranty, install a Kerma tune if you decide to keep it These problems will be over.

ugenetoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 03 wagons one 03 sedan All manual TDIs
^ After you get the dealer to replace a whole bunch of parts under warranty, install a Kerma tune if you decide to keep it These problems will be over.
So....What happens if it has to go back to the dealer for an emmision issue after the Kerma tune?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I thought kerma didn't touch emissions?

they changed their view?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
You will get a Qpro with the Passat, so you can revert tunes back and forth as desired. Though I am out of warranty now by miles, hence it does not affect me at all, I would not take the car to dealer anyways unless recall work. In recall, they won't turn you away for a tune.

Kerma still does not disable the emissions components, everything is stock and operational. They make some adjustments to keep the car running similar to the original pre-Dieselgate tune with some improved power at higher throttle. Allegedly, the car remains fully emissions compliant with some adjustments to prevent MIL. I cannot attest to Passat, since it is no longer my daily driver, but my Kerma-tuned 328d has been eating AdBlue like crazy after the tune. In the past, I would always refill AdBlue at 10k miles with oil changes and less than a full jug would go in. After the tune, I get 1000 mile countdown around 6k mile mark. It has about doubled in AdBlue use. The tunes are similar across both cars, with minor differences, but don't quote me on it! LOL.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have the Kerma Tune on my 13 passat and after the emissions fix the DEF usage went way down, and now after the Kerma tune it uses almost none, maybe 6 oz in the 14k since the tune.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, since July 2022 and about 10,000 miles. Engine is running flawless. 50-58 mpg on the highway, sometimes even more. Loving the low end torque. Now at 64,500 miles.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
@Tom in PT Do you remember how often regens were pre-tune? I ask because I regen every 275 miles and my ash mass creeps up 0.1gm each time. Just hit 62gm and load limit for DPF reported as 70gm. So, I figure I have ~22,000 miles left until DPF is full. If a tune gets me a 500 mile regen frequency, then I would gain about 18,000 extra miles of use with my current DPF, assuming unchanging parameters.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
Before I tuned, my car was in a mode where it was regenerating every 60-90 miles, and I was constantly interrupting them. This had been going on for several thousand miles at least, can't remember exactly. Before that, it was more like every 250-300 miles or so, like your car. Then, one day last July, while climbing a steep dirt mountain road in low gear, the dreaded 200 mile to no start message appeared. That was when I said screw it, and screw the extended warranty, I'm going to get a tune. Best decision ever. I have no idea what the ash mass is in my car. First 27000 miles - stock tune pre-dieselgate, fixed July 2017. Next 27,000 miles - dieselgate tune, then a long list of issues, from clogged heater core, failed EGR valve, constant regens. Last 10,000 miles, since July 2022 - Kerma tune. No issues at all. Replaced G13 with G12+ coolant.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I read somewhere that the load limit was 140g, but I do not remember where.
I have tracked ash load since my car was new, I replaced my DPF at 295k miles, I had purchased a used one from someone who had deleted their car right after purchase (~3k miles). My car was performing a regen every 160 miles (which was every day) and the ash load was at 98.6g. It went back to a regen every 300 miles after that. Now after the tune, a regen is triggered at 445 miles.
I now have 110k miles on the 2nd DPF and am at 38g, the original DPF was at 39g at 125k miles so pretty much the same.
Also totally agree on dumping G13 coolant and going something like Pentosin SF - get rid of the silicates.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I was just referencing the value given via VCDS for "ash mass load limit" in advanced measuring blocks, which is reported as 70gm in my car.

I agree with the coolant issues. I have posted before that my car came with G12++ and I replaced it with Zerex G40 when I did the timing belt, water pump, etc. I am still on my original heater core, although I do have a replacement part in the garage.

So if regens decrease in frequency to every 450-500 miles, assuming the 70gm limit and cost of Kerma tune, then I am looking at adding about $0.04/mile cost, which could be fully negated by an increase in mpg, especially at current diesel prices?

Sounds like I am talking myself into a tune lol:D

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have tracked ash load since my car was new, I replaced my DPF at 295k miles, I had purchased a used one from someone who had deleted their car right after purchase (~3k miles). My car was performing a regen every 160 miles (which was every day) and the ash load was at 98.6g. It went back to a regen every 300 miles after that. Now after the tune, a regen is triggered at 445 miles.
I now have 110k miles on the 2nd DPF and am at 38g, the original DPF was at 39g at 125k miles so pretty much the same.
Also totally agree on dumping G13 coolant and going something like Pentosin SF - get rid of the silicates.
Mine force regen every 466 miles, regardless of soot level. (which is around 9 instead of 20-24) .

Just need to get the "exhaust" done soon.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I was just referencing the value given via VCDS for "ash mass load limit" in advanced measuring blocks, which is reported as 70gm in my car.

I agree with the coolant issues. I have posted before that my car came with G12++ and I replaced it with Zerex G40 when I did the timing belt, water pump, etc. I am still on my original heater core, although I do have a replacement part in the garage.

So if regens decrease in frequency to every 450-500 miles, assuming the 70gm limit and cost of Kerma tune, then I am looking at adding about $0.04/mile cost, which could be fully negated by an increase in mpg, especially at current diesel prices?

Sounds like I am talking myself into a tune lol:D
You won't regret it, ever since I got the engine and DSG tuned. The car is a blast to drive, Ive been getting 38MPG hand calculated because of my lead foot :cool:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
AverageAndy - I'm getting about 6% improvement in fuel economy post-tune. At 50 miles per gallon and $ 5.00 per gallon fuel that is a savings of about 0.6 cents per mile. The tune will be completely paid for after about 100,000 miles (not including the savings from negligible DEF usage) but the avoidance of headaches with the FUBAR emissions system, such as the stupid "200 miles to no start" with the tune is well worth springing for it without regard to the savings issues.

Last edited: