MN Chat Thread

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Welcome

I'm new to the forums and wanted to say hi. Just bought my first TDI after having a Subaru Outback wagon for 12 years. I'll be lurking here and may occasionally post something (probably a question, and rarely an answer). I am not a gearhead, but am willing to read and learn. I may pop in to the next GTG whenever it is.
Right now I am looking for good fuel stations in NE Minneapolis or Minnetonka.
Good to have new friends.:D
Hope to see you at the next GTG.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Any one like to have a 1999-2002 Golf/Jetta Bentley Service Manual? It is the manual of choice and right now I have an extra one that I will let go for two six packs of Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. It is heavy and I know someone in the Mpls/Saint Paul metro could use it. Send me a PM.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I'm new to the forums and wanted to say hi. Just bought my first TDI after having a Subaru Outback wagon for 12 years. I'll be lurking here and may occasionally post something (probably a question, and rarely an answer). I am not a gearhead, but am willing to read and learn. I may pop in to the next GTG whenever it is.
Welcome, prabbit!

For fuel stations, above all prefer fuel stations with significant diesel traffic.
If you want to look for high cetane (and quality) fuel, look for these symbols:

Typically at Kwik Trip stations with Diesel and at Fleet Farm stations:

At some Cenex Stations:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I don't know of anything in NE Minneapolis. But there are some busy stations with reasonable prices along I-494 between I-394 and Rockford Road in Minnetonka and Plymouth. In particular at Carlson Parkway, at Hwy 55, and at Rockford Road.

Sometimes, as you get up north of Plymouth into Maple Grove and further west, prices can be quite attractive, but then you have to tabulate how much it costs you to drive that far out of your way.

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Nice to meet you guys today.

-Scott
It was fun, and after seeing how clean Joey's engine bay was I realized (after Jon pointed it out :D) that my engine bay is DIRTY!

Hopefully Joey gets his ride running soon, if he hasn't already.

teufelhunden

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Jetta TDI
Welcome, prabbit!

For fuel stations, above all prefer fuel stations with significant diesel traffic.
If you want to look for high cetane (and quality) fuel, look for these symbols:

Typically at Kwik Trip stations with Diesel and at Fleet Farm stations:

At some Cenex Stations:
Kwik Trip fuel is awesome.. Since the one up here in St. Michael opened last fall I try to go nowhere else. Easily 15-20 more miles per tank in my case and they're always much cheaper than the stations on the other end of my commute in Minnetonka.

Fauvay

TDI
2000 Golf
It was fun, and after seeing how clean Joey's engine bay was I realized (after Jon pointed it out :D) that my engine bay is DIRTY!

Funny. I cleaned my engine the next day.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Hey all, I just want to thank everyone for hanging out and helping out sat. I did indeed get the car all put back together. I am so excited to fire her up. I have to buy a battery hopefully Wed. !!!! I detailed the car today and now she's really clean. I plan on driving it to cars and coffee this sat at the Auto Motorplex in Chanhassen. Thanks again for the help Jon and Paul and everyone who came over. I love the TDI club.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Well, She's all buttoned up and here's a cpl pics. I'm getting my battery this afternoon and she should be running today!!!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Turned out really nice! I thought the yellow wouldn't look good but with that valve cover on there and injector lines, it looks real nice.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

Dude, your engine bay has been brown ever since I saw it for the first time! Especially after you didn't tighten your filter cap down tight enough. :D

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Dude, your engine bay has been brown ever since I saw it for the first time! Especially after you didn't tighten your filter cap down tight enough. :D
Haha, true. When that happens I just put the engine cover back on and don't worry about it! Maybe now I'll clean it...we'll see.

prabbit

TDI
2012 Golf
I hate the chirping sound my car makes when I lock it. The owner's manual says that I can turn that off through the MFD, which it turns out is false (at least it's false for North American cars). I have found several others who have had the same issue. In short, I tried to have the dealer (Westside) turn it off, but they're not having any luck either. Based on my reading of these forums, I suspected that would be the case because several others have reported the exact same experience, but it appears that a VAG COM will be able to get the task done that I need. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a difference between the scan tools that a dealership uses and the VAG COM? More specifically, can the VAG COM get into menus and bits that a dealer's scan tool can't?

2. I'm in for the next GTG. When is it? Let me know what I can bring. I'll be bringing my car and ______.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
prabbit, If you meet me up in white bear sometime after work with the procedure for turning it off, I can bring VCDS.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Lock/Unlock Horn/Flash:

[Select]
[46 - Cent. Conv.] (35 - Cent. Locking for manual window cars)
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel (03..08)
Adaptation Value (1 = on, 0 = off)
[Save]

Channel 03 Auto Lock
Channel 04 Auto Unlock
Channel 05 Unlock, horn sounds
Channel 06 Lock, horn sounds
Channel 07 Unlock, turn signals flash
Channel 08 Lock, turn signals flash

simple as that? That link was updated DEC 2010, I imagine it is the same or similar.

Fauvay

TDI
2000 Golf
Scott, have you found the source of your noise?
I haven't. Though, I haven't had time to get into it. I did tighten the two bolts holding that split gasket in place. Both were loose. I think if I remember right I didn't fully tighten them because I was going to try to find a torque wrench hex head and never came back to it.

This weekend, I am going to get in there and really look closely as well as place it with the old solid gasket.

I'll try to post photos of the split and the solid gaskets so you can see what I'm talking about.

It's been a rough week. Both of the twins were sick and I spent Wednesday evening it he ER with my daughter... They are both seeming a little better today.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Bobcat

Does anyone have a Bobcat or know someone who has one? I just need to haul dirt from the property across the street to my backyard. Seems silly to rent one for a 20 minute job.

If you do, email me as I may not check this thread often. I am located in Blaine.

teufelhunden

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Jetta TDI
Gents, any of you run some kind of CCV filter? Home made or not.. Had to take off the intake plumbing I installed last fall when I was adjusting IP timing, and found the whole inside coated with oil. Considering fabricating one but see many variations out there. Also considering the Mann Provent but kind of pricey. Some are claiming in other threads that the oil is a non-issue, but I have a hard time believing that. .. Thoughts?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I ran a catch can vented to atmosphere for a few weeks, smells nasty.
I am more likely to run a stock(ish) CCV system after mine and seeing others. Yes, the pipes did get mostly dry and nice but smell and other maintenance will be annoying.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a Provent 200 and I love it. There are lots of options out there for sure and I was lucky and bought mine in the classifieds here for virtually no money. Note how clean the hose going back to the intake is!

This is my setup:

teufelhunden

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Jetta TDI
No kidding.. appears to do a great job keeping the oil out from the looks of the return hose. I guess the provent works well. What's up with the extra riser/vent under the filler cap? I haven't seen that before.