MN Chat Thread

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Bust my buttons

Congratulations on a job well done :).
And so it begins, for the next few years you'll be changing diapers on Abby and Henry and ... not timing belts. :)

After four, I have to say it's great being a father.
Life is grand :D.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
In the coming months my Golf is going to need some work of a non-TDI-specific nature: rear brakes for sure, maybe a clutch, and eventually wheel bearings. So I need to find a good independent shop, not necessarily in Saint Paul but close. And it needs to be a place that is friendly toward after-market parts.

Any suggestions? I'm putting on a lot of miles and these are hard miles on rough roads; so I need someone or some place that I can count on for quality work.
If you act fast before winter comes we can do the rear brakes in my driveway. I just did mine and it was not so bad. I have the wind back tool too. Send me a PM.

Maybe Jon (Jfettig) will have a get together at this place this winter as he has a heated garage and you can do your clutch there or maybe Jon will do it if he has run out of projects on his car. :)

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
So for the next few months I'll be changing diapers on Abby and Henry and not timing belts. :)
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! Welcome, Abby & Henry.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
If you act fast before winter comes we can do the rear brakes in my driveway. I just did mine and it was not so bad. I have the wind back tool too. Send me a PM.
Maybe Jon (Jfettig) will have a get together at this place this winter as he has a heated garage and you can do your clutch there or maybe Jon will do it if he has run out of projects on his car. :)
Chris, did you have any trouble with the calipers leaking after the job? My local (non TDI) mechanic warned me that aluminum calipers are prone to leak after being wound back. His experience is mostly from GM cars.

Minnesota_Duane

TDI
98 Beetle 63,258 at purchase
EGT probe placement

Where should it go it's an autometer gauge and probe. The directions say manifold but that's not going to happen. I am thinking right after the 90* bend in the down pipe. I have the car apart right now and figured since I already have the down pipe off for the shifter swap now is a good time to do it.

I know it's an easy shot and if that's where I wanted it I would throw some lube on it.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Chris, did you have any trouble with the calipers leaking after the job? My local (non TDI) mechanic warned me that aluminum calipers are prone to leak after being wound back. His experience is mostly from GM cars.
Nope one side seemed to be almost stuck but a good twist and back in it went. 209000 on the rear brakes and they did need changing. Yes GM cars are not German cars and that makes all the difference in the world.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where should it go it's an autometer gauge and probe. The directions say manifold but that's not going to happen. I am thinking right after the 90* bend in the down pipe. I have the car apart right now and figured since I already have the down pipe off for the shifter swap now is a good time to do it.

I know it's an easy shot and if that's where I wanted it I would throw some lube on it.
Post turbo is not the typical placement of the EGT probe. While I think it would be interesting to have a pre turbo and post turbo probe, for me the inlet is more important as you do not want to melt the turbo hot side wheel. EGR port is common and easy: http://www.mycruiseagent.com/egt.htm

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As some of you may know we've been expecting a pair of suprises this fall and they came on Wednesday! I really tested the wife's patience this summer with all the TDI work and now need to take a break to look after the new ones. Thank you to the members who understand and for those that don't, well my family comes first. :cool:

Losha, JasonTDI, and Deafbug would be happy to help you out.

So for the next few months I'll be changing diapers on Abby and Henry and not timing belts. :)
You can always farm out your older two to me and my Georgia Peach for a weekend for a break. I am thinking you could get a double on the back baby pouch and still do timing belts though. :) Congratulations and the miracle of life goes on some how.

Minnesota_Duane

TDI
98 Beetle 63,258 at purchase
Post turbo is not the typical placement of the EGT probe. While I think it would be interesting to have a pre turbo and post turbo probe, for me the inlet is more important as you do not want to melt the turbo hot side wheel. EGR port is common and easy: http://www.mycruiseagent.com/egt.htm
Thanks for the link Chris,
I wussed out and drilled the down pipe right next to the flange, I'll change it later if I upgrade.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver

Woo Hoo, more future SCSU students!

mltmlt

TDI
2002 New Beetle 2.0L (AZG,01M)
I have seen people use an angled pair of needle nose pliers. I'm way far away from you otherwise I'd drop by with my tensioner tool, I think the tdi tensioner tool is similar if not the same.
I failed to find those, I picked up 7" long reach mini 22 degree bent nose pliers from Menards. It worked but it was a pain to use. I've done my first TB & WP job!

Now I'm looking for that discontinued steel plate guard cover for oil pan. Mine got broken and winter with ice chunks on roads is coming. Does anybody have that rusting in their garage? I'm not positive that I'll go with panzer plate any time soon, so I'd prefer that plate back for now.

Otherwise does anybody know any VW specific junk yards in TC area? I'm not sure what to type in google as I see tons of towing companies and other irrelevant things in results.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Got my new injectors installed. DBW suggested I change from the PP520's to the DLC 1019. I trust him, so I will let you know how they work out.

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
congrats for the new arrivals!

On another note. If there is anyone interested I have a unitronics stage 2+ tuned ECU 4sale. It is for stock turbo with EGR delete, and PP520's If anyone is interested let me know it won't work with my new turbo (2256 via mr leppy!).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Wow.. quite far. Thanks!
You have a TDI -- you can drive to Elk River and back on less than two gallons of fuel.

I suggest that you call ahead, though, to see if they have what you want.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I'm a little late but congratulations Nick on the addition to the family! You are going to be very busy.

justin1234

TDI
2002 Jetta
Greetings from south dakota. Wondering if anyone knows of a functioning auto tranny for an 02 jetta TDI for sale. I ended up getting a really good deal on the car, however it has a used tranny out of a 2.0 gasser in it...

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
I quit smoking...

... Well, my car did any way. When I installed my Whitbread DP, I took a look in my cat.

I decided it was past time to eliminate this sooty bottle neck. It's now straight piped via a 3" sewer pipe with a built in resonator. My smoke problem went away & it feels like I got some secondaries added. Gone is the lagging boost on the top end. It will now push a steady 26 psi under load. I guess it's about time to schedule some dyno time.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Not much of a surprise Richard - you were damn smokey while you were working out the bugs with your tune. Glad to hear you're up and running strong!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That picture makes me want to get on with my custom exhaust!

I really need to get my tig welder wired up :)