MK4 TDI Straight Pipe

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I am looking to do a straight pipe on my 03 Jetta TDI Wagon. Obviously you run into the issue of the current exhaust that shoots down underneath of the car. I have done some looking, and could not find a very direct and straightforward answer/solution. What is your guys' best recommendation here? I don't want to do any side exhaust. I have heard its best to try to get it out from under the car. I could always just shoot a pipe under the current bumper and just have it hang lower. I have also heard I think you can swap with the 1.8t bumper that has a factory spot for the exhaust already? Does anyone else have any direct input to this?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I have the factory rear bumper on my Mkiv. I brought the exhaust out at probably a 70 degree angle behind the rear tire, about like exhaust on a pickup truck, just beneath the plastic trim on the bumper.

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have the factory rear bumper on my Mkiv. I brought the exhaust out at probably a 70 degree angle behind the rear tire, about like exhaust on a pickup truck, just beneath the plastic trim on the bumper.
Would you have a picture of this handy? I would think I would want to keep with the "car" look of having it come out the back, but am not 100%.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I have the Kerma 3" turbo back system and it ends in about the same location as the factory turn down pipe.

I was thinking of running it straight out the back to maybe make the car quieter ? (I imagine the louder than stock exhaust ending under the car can't be helping things)...

By straight back , I mean take out the turn down piece , add a piece of straight pipe straight out the back .... I'm guessing a 4" hole saw should make a nice half round for the pipe to go out of and provide a little clearance to keep things cool plastic wise.

One thing I wonder about running straight back rather than downturn is if more soot gets on the rear of the car (I don't really smoke or haze per se but over a period of time even a little soot may enevtually build up in between rains (my natural car washing system! (unless a few birds poop on the car or the tires get muddy, then I'd go to a spray and wash place)

But before all that , I have to get the noisy wheel bearing fixed first to see how loud the car really is to start with .... I'm thinking most of my noise is the wheel bearing going bad..(.it's howling / moaning so loud I put ear plugs in for highway trips .... I'm going to park the car until the parts come in .. no sense pushing my luck .... it's been getting louder and louder for the last 10K miles but sadly they are only at about 75K miles before giving up the ghost).

Andrew

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
HI,

I have the Kerma 3" turbo back system and it ends in about the same location as the factory turn down pipe.

I was thinking of running it straight out the back to maybe make the car quieter ? (I imagine the louder than stock exhaust ending under the car can't be helping things)...

By straight back , I mean take out the turn down piece , add a piece of straight pipe straight out the back .... I'm guessing a 4" hole saw should make a nice half round for the pipe to go out of and provide a little clearance to keep things cool plastic wise.

One thing I wonder about running straight back rather than downturn is if more soot gets on the rear of the car (I don't really smoke or haze per se but over a period of time even a little soot may enevtually build up in between rains (my natural car washing system! (unless a few birds poop on the car or the tires get muddy, then I'd go to a spray and wash place)

But before all that , I have to get the noisy wheel bearing fixed first to see how loud the car really is to start with .... I'm thinking most of my noise is the wheel bearing going bad..(.it's howling / moaning so loud I put ear plugs in for highway trips .... I'm going to park the car until the parts come in .. no sense pushing my luck .... it's been getting louder and louder for the last 10K miles but sadly they are only at about 75K miles before giving up the ghost).

Andrew
That's exactly the other issue I forgot to mention. I love thay turbo whistle, but don't necessarily want excessive engine noise while driving. I just don't want to put a hole through the bumper just to find out I don't like the way it looks. I'm just an indecisive person.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed

There are a few videos of it here