MK4 manual Golf common problems

some_raisins

TDI
Golf TDS 2002, Indigo Blue
Is there a list anywhere? Things that are good to check on a 20 year old MK4 manual Golf TDI that are known to go bad? suggested preventative maintenance not listed by VW? Things that I have run into over the years:
- check/refill transmission fluid
- various places where air flows can get clogged - I'm not sure of exact locations
- glow plug wiring harness goes bad (faulty glow plug indicator in dash was fixed by replacing the harness)
- fender tips rusting out (I'm just letting this one go, but it is now into the rocker panels)
- wiring in grommets on both sides of hatch hinges severing (ground wire severed causes fuse to blow - remote key lock/unlock & windows won't work when this fuse is blown)
- MAF sensor (loss of power)
- engine thermometer (if it doesn't go to 190 & stay there, your thermometer may be bad)
- pin inside of ignition cylinder that goes into the ignition switch breaks off
- I saw another thread about the fans that cool the air conditioner compressor

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a couple threads here, you can search for them (titled Common Problems).

I could rattle off a bunch of things. Did you just buy the car?

some_raisins

TDI
Golf TDS 2002, Indigo Blue
Thanks - I found this one in TDI 101: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/common-problems-version-2-0.251236/

I'm the original owner. I bought my car brand new in November 2001. I just had the pin in the ignition cylinder break. Luckily I was close to home, my wife was able to come get me, I was able to go back out with tools & take the ignition switch out so I could start the car with a screwdriver. Searching online, I found a handful of people saying they had the same issue with their MK4s.

I'm mostly looking for common issues that would be good to be prepared for, that would otherwise leave me with a car that I can't start or drive for some reason. Or if there is any specific preventative maintenance I can do to hopefully avoid those issues? This car has been very good to me over the years, and I'm just hoping to get a couple more out of it.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
2 doors have hinge bushing issues door sags into fender

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Funny you mention that pin thing, as I had never seen nor heard of that before until a couple months ago when a 2001 Golf (a gasser, but it makes no difference) came in with one broken. And I see a LOT of these cars. Heck, I own currently EIGHT A4 VAG cars, and two B5s which I think are the exact same setup. At least it was fairly easy to fix if I remember.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I got mine from drivers side of a 4 door figured thats the least used. No need for new on and old ****whip