Mid-engine Vanagon

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Has anyone heard of a B5 A4/Passat FWD drivetrain installed mid-ships in a T3 Transporter? I ask because I have both those vehicles, it strikes my fancy and seems perfectly plausible. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel, so if someone has knowledge and/or pics I'd love to see them.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Sweet passat.

I'm not up to speed on the t3 but ive seen threads detailing a vw van/bus tdi conversion. The install used a DVZ v6 5 speed transmission flipped upside down.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yeah, I've seen all the rear engine installs, including flipped 012 boxes. There's even a guy on the Samba who figured out how to run a B5 1.8t engine in reverse and now has the entire Quattro drivetrain in his van. Cool stuff. In this case, I want to fit the BHW and 5HP-19 in the same orientation as the B5, but just midships in a T3. I assume it would take custom axles and mods to the crossmember the LCAs are mounted to, but the rest seems kinda routine engine and trans cradle stuff. Perhaps even the stock Passat subframe could be used as the cradle.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I'd like to see how they made the 1.8t run the opposite way. A custom cam would be a must I'd think. Would the oil pump make proper pressure running the opposite way? Same ?? With the water pump and tandem pump. The tensioner for the oil pump and timing belt are also going to need to be addressed to run opposite. Then there is modding the starter to spin backwards.

That's all I can think of now based on what little I know about twin powered inboard motors where you had 2 identical motots but one spun the opposite direction.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
Lots of reading here:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Someone did this with a brown bay window. Looked interesting... I think there's a thread here somewhere.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
The Bay mid engine I've seen used the transverse drivetrain from a Mk3 Jetta. In fact, he used the entire subframe and front suspension grafted into the mid section of the van. Mad skillz

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i like the idea but i'm sure the entire rear bench would need to be raised several inches if you kept the engine at 15 degrees. Now if you did a 50 degree install using one of Tim Shettle's adapters then it might could remain stock height. Use Porsche boxster shift mechanism with lengthened cables for shifting or go auto.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, since I was able to get my ALH to fit under the lid at 15, I think I can get this combo to do something similar further forward. I'm wondering if I were to split the rear seat into four place seating with a hump in the middle. My van is a tintop, so no camping equipment or much of anything else back there. It's a truck, with a raised suspension, so dropping the drivetrain isn't a problem. My ALH has 10" of ground clearance.