MFA Cluster Conversion! Pictures!!!!

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Vhunter:
What's the status with your upgrade, and could you please report your model year (the letter, X or Y)?
Thanks.

P.S. Could anyone with a model year 1999 (X) who makes this mod please give me a mail. Thanks!

GLENNI

TDI
Golf GTTDI -- 2000 -- Canyon Red
YEAH i WOULD BE INTERESTED ON ANY INFORMATION ON THIS AS MINE IS MODEL YEAR (x)1999 AND i HOPE TO CARRY OUT THIS MODIFICATION SOON IF POSSIBLE

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
SVTWEB:

Thanks for posting the detailed information and the excellent pictures.

Could you possibly post the part numbers for the parts you identified on the first page of this post? I have reproduced your list below. Items 4 to 9 inclusive are the most important for me, the major parts I can figure out with my dealer.

Parts that are needed:
1.UK Cluster with MFA (for those who don't know, UK clusters are in MPH, and they make them for TDI's)
2.Wiper stalk for MFA Cluster
3.Outside Temperature Sensor
4.Clip for the above sensor to hold it into the bumper
5.Plug for the above Sensor
6.Pins for the above Plug
7.Plug for the Wiper Stalk
8.Pins for the Wiper Stalk
9.Pins for instrument cluster
10.15 Feet of wire

Reason I ask this is that I am in Europe now and would like to pick these parts up here and bring them home with me.

Thanks,

Michael

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Mike, I'd like to be able to help you, but Komet155 did all the research. His email address in higher up in this post.

-EMW

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
SVTWEB:

Oh, OK, I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Hope Komet 155 notices this post.

I went to a VW dealer in Germany today and tried to get some information about parts needed - he gave me the following part numbers, however, this particular dealer has never seen a North American spec Golf before, so he may be incorrect.

Komet 155, if you have a chance to check and let me know what part numbers you used, I would be grateful (also let me know if your number are for an automatic or manual transmission - the numbers I have here are for an automatic, which is what I have).

- Kombiinstrument (Combined Instrument Module) 1J5 920 826 C = DEM 364 (Euros 186).

- Aussentemperaturfuehler (Outside Air Temp Probe) 1J0 919 379 A = DEM 27 (Euros 13).

- Schalter fuer Scheibenwischer/Wischer-Wascher-Betaetigung und Bordcomputer (Operating stalk for wipers/washers and MFC) 4B0 953 503 H 01C DEM 78 (Euros 40).

Note that the part numbers above for the MFC and wiper stalk are for just plain looking parts, same appearance as what comes with the car. Not chrome or anything fancy like that.

Komet 155 or SVTWEB - I would appreciate if you could check out these part numbers against what you used (if you still have the packages or the parts slip), let me know if you spot any differences - I'd hate to buy all this stuff and bring it back, then find I got a wrong part.

Gruss, Michael

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]</p>

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Interesting, it seems that from MY02 (or maybe even a little earlier), the same instrument clusters are used in auto and manual cars. The number posted in the previous post doesn't have any auto/man spec, and since the dealer told you it's also for an auto, it looks like you auto people should also be able to get chromed MFA clusters.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeffee1:
Don't suppose there is anything like this I can do with a 1998 TDI? Cool pix..nice job!<hr></blockquote>

Yes you can, but it won't be as easy (though it will be cheaper).

Its basically the same procedure as this one for my B4 Passat. I have done this on an A3 Jetta also, so if you want to do it, I can give you more details.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]</p>

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Well, the number on the car is 3VWSF29M3XM0xxxxx
where the small x's are a number that I assume is not to important, and I don't feel like posting the whole thing on the web

Can you tell me what the number means?

From what you were talking about, it sounds like you have to have the CAN buss for this to work, but the other guy seems to say in his post that any of the new model (A4) Jetta's with TDI will work. I wonder if there is a difference in the US cars and the CAN buss, VS the Euro-cars?

I am a little worried that it will not work, now that you raise this question.

Drive ON...

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
The number says your car is a MY1999 Jetta(Bora) made in Mexico, Puebla factory. This means (as fas as i know) your car doesn't have the CAN bus. I really don't know if the cluster will work, but would be very happy if it would, cause I'd like to do the same thing and have a MY1999 Golf (euro). When is your cluster arriving?

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
As long as your car will inteface with a VAG-COM the cluster will work in your car CAN bus or not. The CAN bus is there for all the vehicle systems can communicate with eash other. The information that the MFA needs comes from other signal wires. If you send Komet155 an email he can be sure that your will get the correct cluster, but from what I have seen VWAG has replaced all the clusters with 1 part number....

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I will let you know how it works when the unit gets here and I get it installed and coded..

I am not the fastest when it comes to getting things installed and working either.. so someone else might be a better one if you are in a hurry. ( I still haven't got the e-code fog's hooked up that I installed this spring)..

Drive ON!

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
SVTWEB:
It is very questionable what you have said. I don't need only MFA, i'd like my check engine and glow plug light to work too. And while these are on older (MY99) models connected via the signal wire, in MY00 and newer they seem to be connected to instrument cluster internal bus which probably gets data from CAN-bus. Like I said before, I would be very glad if it works, but there is some noticable difference in architecture. If you have Bentley you can lookup what I have said in wiring diagrams. Also, if there is anyone who can say something to put my mind to rest (or whatever, English isn't my mother tongue), please do.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
According to the Schematics that I have the Glow Plug light and CHeck engine light are separate wires from the ECU. Therefore, they do not transmit the signal via the Can-Bus. The signal for the Km/Litre is even a separate wire. Taking all that into account one would logically deduce that the CAN-bus is merely there for all of the modules in newer vehicles to communicate for diagnostic purposes.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
"The signal for the Km/Litre is even a separate wire."

I wonder if this means I could tap into a wire to power some kind of homemade fuel consumption gauge on my Beetle?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
As much as I like this mod, the price is a little high. When you were doing your parts research, did you find that there was a cluster available for TDI manuals that didn't have the chrome and such that might be a little cheaper?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
I think someone mentioned this before... doesn't this exercise prove that you could probably take a MFA-equipped dash from a wrecked B4 GLX Passat or whatnot and make it work in the A4 TDI, possibly having to correct the tach with an overlay?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tadc:
I think someone mentioned this before... doesn't this exercise prove that you could probably take a MFA-equipped dash from a wrecked B4 GLX Passat or whatnot and make it work in the A4 TDI, possibly having to correct the tach with an overlay?<hr></blockquote>

Actually, it should be easier than that. A used US-spec. A4 GLX cluster would only require re-programming the cylinder number value to "4". The tach redline would be too high, but that's liveable. Adding the glow plug indicator light would require some finessing or could be omitted.
The only advantage going this route has over the new Euro cluster (in addition to cost) is that the temp. gauge readings are in degrees F.

I recently paid $150 for a used '98 GLX cluster (for an A3 Jetta MFA conversion); an A4 cluster should go for a bit more.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]</p>

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
Hows the group buy coming along? Any idea as to a time frame for delivery?

Just can't wait to get this stuff!

Drive ON!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tadc:
so... next question, where do I find one?<hr></blockquote>

I've gotten my clusters from
Specialized German Recycling. As you'll see, they aren't currently listing any A4 Golfs or Jettas, but they do have NBs, including a TDI. And when I visited them a few months ago they had at least one A4 Jetta GLX. They seem to have the best stock of late model VWs in California.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
thanks Chris.

sooo... a dash from an A4 Jetta GLX will work... how about a A4 GTI or some kind of Passat? I assume there is no such thing as a Golf with MFA (other than the GTI). Should the control arm (input switch for the MFA) transfer also?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so.. a dash from an A4 Jetta GLX will work... how about a A4 GTI or some kind of Passat? I assume there is no such thing as a Golf with MFA (other than the GTI). Should the control arm (input switch for the MFA) transfer also?<hr></blockquote>

A GTI will, a Passat (B4 or B5) won't. A used stalk switch will work, but its not that expensive new.

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vhunter:
Hows the group buy coming along? Any idea as to a time frame for delivery?

Just can't wait to get this stuff!

Drive ON!
<hr></blockquote>
Hello VHUNTER-

if your name is Jared, Arnold or Thomasz, your cluster will be here in the box i expect to pick up at the airport this friday or saturday. I will then start boxing everything up to ship. my priority will be these clusters because I know you guys have been patiently waiting...

ps- if anyone else wants one, my dealer has an extra one that he was going to send back to the warehouse. my point is, i can get it added to the box immediately and have it with the rest of them wihin 4-5 days.

Joe aka KOMET155

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds great!.. I am looking forward to getting the thing.. now I have to figure out how to get it installed!

Drive ON!

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Yes, the instrument cluster with MFA can be without chromed rings, but the price is THE SAME.

Vhunter:
Did you get/install your cluster already?