MFA Cluster Conversion! Pictures!!!!

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
The information that have is the new clusters are made to fit into all the vehicles so there is only one part number. Your vehciel will only use the features that is required by your year. Joe would be a better one to ask on that note.

A note about the "Idiot" lights. Yes it has one for rear fogs. I't also different lights for Cruise and Brake. They are the European Standard instead of the US=SPec warning lights.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
You should probably be able to do this conversion with a used U.S.-spec GLX cluster also. The tach would have a higher redline, and you may have to transfer your existing warning light panel to show the glow plug light, but the temp gauge would be in degrees F. I recently bought a used '98 GLX cluster for $150, though an A4 cluster would probably command a little more.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
MIGOLF . . . too long a user name,

Glen,

I was poking around the different 'modules' last night when the engine lost communication and the instrument cluster has its own group (yeah you can talk to pretty much eveyrthing even when the engine decides that it is too busy to talk - need more frame buffer memory I think - something liek that in the ECM)

There is a display for mileage and all that -

one cool thing I noticed is that the display for the fuel gauge is listed in liters! vs 1/2 tank . . . I assume that resistance value has to do with the level of fuel in there?

That might be a nicer way for me to check the daily fuel mileage - at least get it close. Compare starting ODO reading and # liters and then ending . . .

one day would be 150 miles (240 KM or so) migth be cool.

That display is REALLY REALLY COOL!

DAMN I want one. But unless mine goes south it would be way too hard to justify getting a new one.

Although since the K-line goes from teh ECM through the Instrument panel I could try to send a voltage spike through the K-line and kill teh instrument cluster . . . this one sounds cheaper than the dealer one or at least close) hmmmmmm

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
What are the part numbers for the cluster and the other required parts?

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Hello everyone!

this is KOMET155.

I cannot beleive what i am reading. i feel like im a superstar or something! Actually, SVTWEB who did this install is something of a genius... talk about thoroughly prepared! He first approached me with a barrage of questions, followed by another barrage...he left nothing to chance...

Anyway, let me know if you guys want more of these clusters...

Joe aka KOMET155

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: KOMET155 ]

NothernSky

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, Model 2001, red
Hey SVTWEB, does your car has the GLX arm where you can press it and tell you the info from the MFA? like the Control Cruise, but is on the other side (where the Wiper control is).

Komett, Do you ship to Mexico?

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I had to replace the wiper arm for the one that has the buttons for the computer.

A correction. After looking at the cluster next to an automatic GLX I have determined that it would have to be a different cluster.

TDI-Auto guys don't fret, While you may not be able to get the sport cluster for an automatic, i'm sure that KOMET155 would be able to get you a standard-graphics cluster with the MFA.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the key off and the lights on. The MFA is on all the time that the engine is running. Sorry for the confusion.

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
oh, you mean that the same cluster will not show the "PRND12" display on the bottom edge for an automatic car?

How did you discover that? thanks for the warning!

For those of you with automatics, i can still get you a cluster that will work, but it will be a slightly different appearance... no aluminum band graphics around the gauges.

sorry.

thomas wilk

I have a question about coding the new module. Did you have to convert miles to km to program correct milage as described in Bentley? Seems a little strange.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Damn, this is sexy!

Wish you could have taken pictures while making the swap, but cest la vie!

Maybe your friend can make up some kits with all the parts, or do they arrive that way?

Anyway, this is definitely on my to-do list!

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
KOMET155: You have e-mail!

This is a very interesting upgrade!

Drive ON!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Well,

I had a chance to meet SVTWEB tonight at a local GTG in Owings Mills. His guage cluster is as nice in person, as the pics show. He is also a really sharp guy. He had lots of fun changing my odometer from Kilometers back to miles, etc.

He wanted me to keep the military time, but my wife probably wouldn't have liked it.

Also, thanks for fixing my alarm beeping options!!! He's the first person with a Vag-com to help me change the settings.

E, when you figure out how to put the Audi convenience module into the car, please let me know.

Lito

[ October 21, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]</p>

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it has glowplug light.....

And Yes, You must convert mileage to Km, program the new cluster, then choose country code for US to have it display miles.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
VHUNTER:
I see you have 99.5 TDI. From what I know your TDI still doesn't use CAN bus in cluster (just like my 99 Golf EU TDI) so I will be very interested to see your mod. Please send me an e-mail to hmaracic@jagor.srce.hr since you don't have an email in your profile. I guess you took chromed MFA cluster?
Thanks.

P.S. Is that modelyear 99 or manufacturing year 99 (in this case, what model year is it?)

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: PTC ]</p>

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Can anybody speak as to whether this can be ordered with a credit card?

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
PTC: My car is the new A4 body style, which I got in 1999.. I understand that half way thru the model year they switched to the new style...

You can see a picture of it here :

The picture will only be there for a short time, as my ISP is changing..

Edit: Sorry, its gone..

Hope that helps with the question..

Drive ON!

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Vhunter ]</p>

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Vhunter:
The important thing is model year. Your VIN probably goes like 1J-X-000 001 where the bold X marks the model year and the - marks unimportant letters. If it's X it's MY99, and if it's Y it's MY00. That's the important info because they changed the bus in MY00.
Thanks

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: PTC ]</p>

GLENNI

TDI
Golf GTTDI -- 2000 -- Canyon Red
SVTWEB
or any one else who would know can I fit this type of M.F.A to my 1999 GT TDI golf U.K. model as although I have an M.F.A. on this car it is of the older type i.e. the display for the clock can be changed to read m.p.g. tempratute etc I need to know if the loom connectors are the same and if my dealer or vag com can set up all nessicary functions good job well done

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GLENNI:
SVTWEB
or any one else who would know can I fit this type of M.F.A to my 1999 GT TDI golf U.K. model as although I have an M.F.A. on this car it is of the older type
<hr></blockquote>

Not if yours is an A3 Golf. Your MFA has all the same functionality of this one except the A4s have instantaneous MPG as well as average MPG. And, apparently the A4s deleted oil temperature from the readings, which yours should have.

GLENNI

TDI
Golf GTTDI -- 2000 -- Canyon Red
CHRIS BELL
NO THE CAR IS WHAT YOU CALL AN A4 MODEL WE GOT A4 OR AS WE CALL IT Mk4 GOLF IN LATE 1997
GLENN

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: GLENNI ]</p>