Mechanically 2014 vs 2015

FlyingRed

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
The time has come, and we are finally outgrowing our 2001 Jetta TDI. I currently have 220k on her and is has never given me a bit of problems. The only time it has ever seen a service shop is for timing belt changes, otherwise I've been able to keep it running great myself (with a lot of help from these Forums)

My question comes as we begin to look at the Passat TDI's. Mechanically speaking, what are some of the differences between the two engines. I know some say that the 2015 runs smoother than the 2014, and it's obviously too early to know much about the overall longevity of the new engines, but from a mechanical perspective, does it appear that some of the shortcomings of the previous engine have been addressed in this new design?

From my readings, it appears that a lot of the previous problems had been fixed by 2014 (fuel pump, turbo, etc...). But from the guys who are working on these new engines already, what are your initial opinions?

Bottomline, since I keep my cars 200k+, am I going to be better off sticking with the 2014 engine, or does the 2015 at least show promise?

Thanks for the help!

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I'd buy the 15 over the 14, the 12-14 Passat TDI motor is an orphan, it was not put in any other VW that I know of. The 15 is the same TDI now in the other North American VW's- Golf and Jetta, so it is likely that TDI will be heavily supported, should any problems be encountered.

If you plan on keeping it over 10 years, I'd buy the extended VW warranty and look at that cost as part of the cost of a new VW. You'll love the size and fuel economy and performance.

IMHO.

Don

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Alternatively, you have an engine that has had a bunch of issues worked out vs. an unknown engine. I subscribe to don't be an alpha tester philosophy.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The engines are basically completely different. They share almost nothing between them. The CKRA in the 2012 - 2014 is a known quantity that I think has the potential to last a very long time. The new engine is used in everything (perhaps with slight variations between models and years), and is still pretty unknown. Given enough time, I'm sure we'll be as comfortable with both engines as we are with ALHs, PDs, etc... it just takes time for the community to figure it out and the vendors to supply replacement parts.

Bottom line, if you're in the market for a used Passat, the 2012-2014 models are a great choice. If you're in the market for a new Passat, the 2015 is a great choice. :)

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
VDTDI, is the 12-14 not going to be an orphan? Were these Passats the only VW's that have had them or will have them?

I think whatever issues crop up in the new 2015 will be dealt with in a reasonable time, considering it will be the only TDI that VW will sell here for the next bunch of years in all models. Down the road 10 years from now, that means parts for the 2015 will be more plentiful and therefore likely cheaper.

I'm keeping my 2013 for another 3 or 4 years, with the extended warranty, but if I was needing a new car, I'd buy the 15 over the 14, unless there was a significant price incentive.

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't think it's going to be an orphan. They sold quite a few of them over the three model years and quite a few parts should be shared across other platforms (AdBlue systems, for example).

Regardless, we have at least 10 years before VW starts shedding parts inventory for the CKRA engine... perhaps longer. If it's that much of a concern, sell it when the time comes.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Oh if we could only figure out how to put in an ALH into the NMS! LOL!

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
The time has come, and we are finally outgrowing our 2001 Jetta TDI. I currently have 220k on her and is has never given me a bit of problems. The only time it has ever seen a service shop is for timing belt changes, otherwise I've been able to keep it running great myself (with a lot of help from these Forums)

My question comes as we begin to look at the Passat TDI's. Mechanically speaking, what are some of the differences between the two engines. I know some say that the 2015 runs smoother than the 2014, and it's obviously too early to know much about the overall longevity of the new engines, but from a mechanical perspective, does it appear that some of the shortcomings of the previous engine have been addressed in this new design?

From my readings, it appears that a lot of the previous problems had been fixed by 2014 (fuel pump, turbo, etc...). But from the guys who are working on these new engines already, what are your initial opinions?

Bottomline, since I keep my cars 200k+, am I going to be better off sticking with the 2014 engine, or does the 2015 at least show promise?

Thanks for the help!
Two questions back: (1) How fast will you rack up 200(K) miles; and more importantly (2) what is the price differential between the 2015 versus 2012-2014?

This is the current question across the VW line ,,,,, new tdi engine versus old design. It would be my opinion that absent a significant price discount, the 2015 would seem to be the clear choice. A new and hopefully better redesign across a wider platform will provide tremendous devaluation pressure on the 2012-14 Passats which is at the very least a resale issue.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
I was at the dealer Tuesday for heater core and asked about the 2015 engine. He told me it has a timing CHAIN good for the life of the car (maybe like the 01M fluid?).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Volkswagen timing chains are scary. VR6 chain stretch, anyone? Rube Goldberg V6 TDI, anyone?

A belt is a good thing.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Volkswagen timing chains are scary. VR6 chain stretch, anyone? Rube Goldberg V6 TDI, anyone?

A belt is a good thing.
And if I remember correct all of these chains are on the back of the engine next to the firewall. So to fix it you have to pull the engine:eek:.

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
And if I remember correct all of these chains are on the back of the engine next to the firewall. So to fix it you have to pull the engine:eek:.
That looks like a nightmare and pulling the engine for a belt change is on the verge of insanity.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Hmm, I spotted talk about silicates on that link, does the CKRA also have a Silicate repository? Sounds like G13 coolant is a HOAT type of coolant specifically built for the vibrations and needs of our engines.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

A belt is a good thing.

Tell me this is a joke. What kind of chuck-wagon engineer came up with that design?

I'm going to go give my trusted 1Z an engine wash now to show how much I appreciate its simplicity.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Tell me this is a joke. What kind of chuck-wagon engineer came up with that design?

I'm going to go give my trusted 1Z an engine wash now to show how much I appreciate its simplicity.
Germans.

Of course, this is the geartrain on the V10 TDI... no belts or chains anywhere, not even for the accessories... a Swiss watch on crack.

Last edited: