Mechanic to replace diesel fuel injection pump?

CAPwTDIs

Can anyone recommend a reputable mechanic in the Central New Jersey area (Bridgewater/Somerville/Morristown) to replace the diesel fuel injection pump on my 1996 Passat TDI? Thanks. And based on other threads I have read here, I will have seals checked first. Would like a TDI expert to make the assessment. I currently see some oil drops under car and smell diesel outside the car. Regular mechanic made original diagnosis.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well any good mechanic can assess the engine seal, but you want a mechanic with TDI experience doing the IP.
Try the link in my signature or local car groups.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
99% chance your pump is fine

$10 fix for a one day job. If your not willing to tackle the job, dont listen to anyone other than a tdi specific shop. Check out our 101 page with the trusted mechanic sticky

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If it's just seals, there are many reports of successful reseals on the forum done with the pump still in the car.

If it turns out the pump must come out, I PM'd you a shop I use (and trust). A little out of the area you specified above, but not that far outside.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Define "regular mechanic". If you can successfully replace the timing belt, then the pump is fairly easy to do. Is this a used or rebuilt pump?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Once you find a good mechanic, have him reassess the need for a new pump. Regular mechanics often go right for the turbo and/or injection pump. If the '96 has it's original pump, fair chance the internals are a bit worn.