Massive oil loss at turbo line connection

Realcamogirl

TDI
2012 Jetta
Help! My 2012 VW jetta's turbo went out last summer, we replaced it with a used turbo we bought off of Ebay, the turbo seems to be perfectly fine but the oil cooler line that feeds into the turbo keeps crapping out (seriously have replaced it 3 times and need to replace again). The issue is that the actual lines themselves don't have any obvious cracks or deformities, they also will only work for about 30 -60 days then the same issue all over again. We've inspected the connecting piece that screws into the turbo for any issues with cross-threading. I'm so over this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the turbo oil feed pipe (it isn't a cooler) does not have all its securing parts in place AND is tightened down at both ends properly and uniformly, it will fatigue and break.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Seen a CJAA with this issue. Line wasnt properly secured on the block at the two mounting points and overtime the vibration would cause it to break at the top of the turbo. Even though the ends were tight. Id make sure once you replace it again, that its secured.

Realcamogirl

TDI
2012 Jetta
If the turbo oil feed pipe (it isn't a cooler) does not have all its securing parts in place AND is tightened down at both ends properly and uniformly, it will fatigue and break.
That is the issue, the nuts are tight so how do I insure that everything is secure?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Is the clamp present? I think the CJAA only has one (some TDIs have two). Clamps on somewhere in the middle, to the head, near the water flange.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The CJAA has two securing points. Heres a picture of where they should be on the line.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, that's it.... I for some reason couldn't remember where the CJAA's second clamp attached, so my brain was thinking maybe it only had one, which I didn't feel was correct. Picture is worth a thousand words.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
They arent in the best spots thats for sure. But I think the CKRA pipe only has one and it secures to the return pipe.

oilhammer

TDI
Normally you have to transfer over the brackets from the old pipe, although some brands may come with them.

If they are not there, the happy little diesel vibes will resonate and brake that pipe over and over again.

Realcamogirl

TDI
2012 Jetta
Normally you have to transfer over the brackets from the old pipe, although some brands may come with them.

If they are not there, the happy little diesel vibes will resonate and brake that pipe over and over again.
Well dang, I may have to improvise or just go to a braided line if I can get the proper fittings.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I dont think you can get the securing parts separately but I would maybe take a look around a scrapyard that has a CJAA and see if the line is there to steal the mounting parts off of.