lugnuts / lugbolts

nodor

TDI
I just picked up some winter tires and wheels for my 2004 TDI Jetta and the guy at the tire place said I will need to but a lugnut conversion kit that will replace the lug bolts for the new wheels to work. Is this the case? Or will the lug bolts be just fine?

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I just did the same for my 05 Passat. The wheels came with a new set of bolts. The problem will be a) wrong taper on the seat and possibly b) not enough clearance to get a wrench in.

nodor

TDI
Well I know there will be no prob for wrench. I guess I will look at the conversion kit today while I am there.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I just bought a set of stock Steel wheels for my 01 and it takes the same bolt as the 06 according to the parts manual b 8D0 601 139 D, I know that the avus wheels that came on the car use the same bolt or very close because my old wheel locks fit the steel wheels.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
nodor said:
I just picked up some winter tires and wheels for my 2004 TDI Jetta and the guy at the tire place said I will need to but a lugnut conversion kit that will replace the lug bolts for the new wheels to work. Is this the case? Or will the lug bolts be just fine?
Lug bolts are fine. If the wheels are aftermarket, you may need new lug bolts with a cone seat (OEM ones are ball seat).

A lugnut conversion kit isn't really necessary-- I believe the guy is suckering you for more money.

A lug nut conversion is fine for racers as time is precious during service stops.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are two types of lug bolts (that I know of, anyway). Ball bolts fit steel wheels, cone bolts fit alloys. It's important to use the correct ones. I have different bolts for summer alloys than winter steelies.

And for swapping tires the Metalnerd tool is a big help.

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
I used these on my 2001 NB with aftermarket rims that have a tight fit. The socket fits perfectly.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
IndigoBlueWagon said:
There are two types of lug bolts (that I know of, anyway). Ball bolts fit steel wheels, cone bolts fit alloys. It's important to use the correct ones. I have different bolts for summer alloys than winter steelies.

hmm I didint know that.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
IndigoBlueWagon said:

Funny.. my car came with Avus alloy wheels and it uses ball seat lug bolts.

MKIV's uses from the factory, ball seat lug bolts. It does not matter if it has steel wheels or alloy wheels. Same exact bolt.

When you buy Aftermarket alloy wheels, they are usually cone seat.

TomatoPie

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 Gray
Needing to fix a flat on my 2005 Passat, I ran into the locking lug nuts. What a PITA! I had the dealer replace all four with conventional lug nuts.

nodor

TDI
Well I got a set of these from Les Schwab tires.

I put the winter steel wheels on and then drove my regular route to work. (140 miles round trip). The vibration was horrible. When I got home I decied I was going to take them off as it was just not right. When I took the wheels off I was able to un-screw at least 2 of these conversion bolts by hand on each wheel. When I put them in I made sure to tighten them down. Well the two came out by hand and the other three came out with little effort at all. I have put my regular wheels back on and I guess will just run them for the winter. I would suggest to not use these or the like at all. Totally unsafe in my opinion.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Stick with lug BOLTS and stay away from the nuts... :D

I have a set of lug BOLTS for my steel wheels, so far so good never an issue.

DB

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Agree....the bolt/nut conversion sucks and are unsafe. I've seen many back out. They need to be installed correctly and CHECKED. If you can't/won't do that stay away from them. That would be 99% of the driving population.