linux vagcom software

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
I just compiled freediag-0.3 scantool software on an old A20M IBM ThinkPad. I have a VagCoM serial interface from Ross that I have hooked up to my 1996 Passat TDI.
I can't seem to see the ECU when the software runs. I used every interface listed in the program. It says ISO9141 on the ROSS part. I have also set the SET INTERFACE command to SE9141 and VAGTOOL. Has anyone had experience with this freeware? It seems to run OK after compiling just can't find the ECU.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I don't know if this is your problem or not (how old is your Ross-Tech interface?). Vag-Com (VCDS) defaults to using the cable in "intelligent mode". You might have to run VCDS (with Windows) and go to setup and tell it not to boot in "intelligent mode". This will setup "straight through" mode with your interface cable and then it might work OK with your program.

I do not know if this will work, but it can't hurt to try.

Have Fun!

Don

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
Thanks Don, The program I have is a Linux public domain scantool program that I compiled in Ubuntu linux and running in LINUX. It is not the VAG-COM program. The interface I have has UNI-COM VAG/ISO9141 Interface Rev B www.ROSS-tech.com printed on it. It has a serial output to the computer. I do have a serial to usb converter cable which I tried first on another thinkpad without a serial port. My son-in-law recommended that I try it without the adapter. I then compiled the program on an older thinkpad with a serial port without success. The software seems to run but gives no connection to the TDI ECU. The passat turns over fine and I have checked the glow plugs with a meter they all have similar resistance. I also replaced the 109 relay without success. The large fuse under the hood is in good shape. I thought the software might be able to tell me something. So far I am at a loss. There is a slim possibility that I still don't have the right setting for the interface. So far I have tried SE9141, ISO9141, VAGTOOL and several others that are mentioned in the software manual.
Bob

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
interface age

PS The ROSS interface must be at least 10 years old. I bought it used from an IBMer about 4 to 5 years ago.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
That's a really old Ross-Tech interface, it might be possible to get it to work on your old Passat, but it will never work on your new 2010. Some people have also had problems with serial to USB converters. Therefore, I really don't know what to tell you. Do you still know the guy you bought the cable from? Ross-Tech has an upgrade program, but it is only available to registered users (the original purchaser). Perhaps you would be better off getting a cheap (China) USB to OBDII cable on eBay, but these can be problematic sometimes too and I do not know if any come with Linux drivers.

Good Luck

Don

Last edited:

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
Hi Bruce, I tried it with a keyspan connector(serial to USB) without any success using the Lite program from the Ross-Tech website with my win 7 portable. I also tried it hooked up to a Linux portable with a serial port using freediag0.3 open source scantool.
Both give me no connection to ECU. I set the set interface command to iso9141 and se9141 without success. I am not planning on using it with my 2010 TDI but would like to get my 1996 wagon started. I have replaced the 109 relay, the battery and the wiring harness and all the glow plugs have basically the same resistance. The car turns over and this am it almost seemed to catch but didn't the glow plug light and other lights all operate in proper sequence on the dash. Right now I am at a loss and wondering if it is not getting enough air. Previously i had checked the fuel filter for water without finding any.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
When you turn the key to the "On" position, does the check engine and glow plug light come on?

If so, then I'd try and run your interface on a known good laptop/pc with a serial port. Maybe even borrow another older VW. Any MkIII/MkIV should work to test your interface on. Start eliminating parts of the equation from there.

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
well I got the interface to work on a t40 IBM with a flaky video screen but with a serial port on the dock. That is the only computer that my Bentley manual runs on as well. I got a secondary air injection solenoid valve error and am trying to find the fuse for that first. The Bentley manual isn't much help. When I get back from lunch I will check the resistance on the air injection valve to see if it is between 25 and 35 ohms. At least if I can find and check the fuse first. Does anyone have a picture of where these fuses are? They don't seem to be the ones under the dash next to the steering column.
PS the start lights engine light glow plug light etc all work fine. I have had this baby since 1996 and would like to keep it a bit longer.

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
An update on my non-starting 96 Passat TDI wagon. Called JimBote in NC and he thought my fuel pump had lost it's prime. He suggested using a small 12volt fuel pump from advanced auto. Got that and tried it but turned out the extra battery was bad that I was trying to run it off of. Meanwhile I read a bit about the o-ring replacement procedure that the dieselgeek suggests. Then I took my $50 electric pump back and went to Harbor Freight. They had a really neat brake bleeding hand vacuum pump for
$25. With that and the dieselgeek closing instructions I reprimed the injection pump
and then found a small leak in the line to the turbo. Fixed that and it was off to the races. After a few sputters Gertrude is back on the road. With the new wiring harness and battery as well as a new 109 relay she seems to be purring with lots of power. Now I just have to get back at the Driver's side door window and make the appropriate adjustments for the umpteenth time and 3rd window mechanism. Thanks and Kudos to Jim Bote and the dieselgeek.